Ghana (holy balls! a travel question)

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Ghana (holy balls! a travel question)

Postby Kurt » Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:27 pm

The American family and the Nigerian family want to have a get together so Ghana is the logical choice so my mother-in-law does not have to spend too much time on the plane.

We will probably be staying on the Atlantic in a beachy type place.

Lets get with the important stuff first: Beer.
Nigerian brewers make awesome "I cannot believe this is Sorghum" brews So I was wondering what is recommended in Ghana. If there is a dark beer for drinking on cooler nights I will be really happy but I can always drink African Guinness. During the day I like Fizzy Lagers. The lower alcohol within reason (Like 3% to 5%...not 0.5% fake beer)

Also any cocktails?

I want to like West African food more than I do (don't like the bones they toss everywhere and I do not want to eat "Burned Cow Skin") but my family loves that stuff so any places where I could get some food for American or European wimps (Also I cannot eat Peanuts cuz I got old people problems...not allergies)

Any tips would be appreciated.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Ghana (holy balls! a travel question)

Postby Darcy » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:36 pm

Let me research. Still have friends there. Spent time in Ghana but quite a few years ago. Holiday Inn lots of action, nice pool. Walking distance to good mall. Pretty safe place. There's a big jet restaurant near the airport thats pretty cool too.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:56 am

La Tante DC 10 is the restaurant in Accra. My friend doesn't drink (surprise to me) so doesn't know any beers at all, but she claims there are tons of cool bars nowadays. I've got an Accra story I often tell when drunk but wouldn't dream of putting it online.

Cool link of local drinks:
https://mrpocu.com/12-best-local-drinks-in-ghana-you-should-try/
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:00 am

Darcy wrote:La Tante DC 10 is the restaurant in Accra. My friend doesn't drink (surprise to me) so doesn't know any beers at all, but she claims there are tons of cool bars nowadays. I've got an Accra story I often tell when drunk but wouldn't dream of putting it online.

Cool link of local drinks:
https://mrpocu.com/12-best-local-drinks-in-ghana-you-should-try/

Keep 'em coming if you get them but we are now leaning towards Lagos. We would be at my Brother in Law's place in Yaba...and I keep forgetting that the wife and I own a parcel of land there. Not sure why I would need to see it but I might go there to see it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:38 pm

I forget what I drank when I went but it must have been good cos I drank lots of it.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:51 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:I forget what I drank when I went but it must have been good cos I drank lots of it.

I liked Trophy in Nigeria. They really know how to do beer for hot & dusty places.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Black Flag Cafe