That Rich People Submarine

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

That Rich People Submarine

Postby Kurt » Wed Jun 21, 2023 1:19 pm

One button.

No backup controls.

A Hospital Urinal.

No Pump System.

No Beacon.

How is that sort of death trap flypaper for Billionaires?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: That Rich People Submarine

Postby Kurt » Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:55 pm

Anyone have an estimate as to how much this will cost?

https://nypost.com/2023/06/21/critical- ... assengers/

Two flights from NJ and NC to St. Johns. Met by flatbed trucks.

I am all for Search and Rescue even for the dumb but I am also in favor of sending people bills.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby el3so » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:17 pm

Can't blame the media ghouls for running with it but IDGAF about poor foreigners dying, how and why would these people having money change that sentiment?
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby Kurt » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:28 pm

el3so wrote:Can't blame the media ghouls for running with it but IDGAF about poor foreigners dying, how and why would these people having money change that sentiment?

Leftists: We need to bring back Guillotines!

The Rich: You must protect us from the Leftists!

Tech Bros: Here is something incredibly shoddy and dangerous...that will be $250,000 please.

The Rich: Ooh! ME ME ME ME!
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby gnaruki » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:58 pm

I'll never understand the fascination with wanting to view that maritime grave in particular.

I mean stealing sunken stolen Inca gold from a Portuguese shipwreck is one thing....
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:08 am

gnaruki wrote:I'll never understand the fascination with wanting to view that maritime grave in particular.

I mean stealing sunken stolen Inca gold from a Portuguese shipwreck is one thing....

I know.

If we make a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet on The Edmund Fitzgerald we will be able to get billionaires to pay for their drownings in Lake Superior.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:48 pm

Now there are posts online about how the Billionaires had better things to do than to go down and see the Titanic, and that they, The Benevolent Ruling Class must have had dirt on The Clintons and therefore a very elaborate accident had to be staged as a warning to other Billionaires.

Another speculation is that they were in Epstein's "Black Book" and somehow that lead to murder.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby gnaruki » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:34 pm

Well the Pakistani industrialist is third generation business scion AKA the fuck-up generation and did he ever do that spectacularly. Maybe the kooks are onto something, Kurt.

I feel bad for his kid. All he'd probably known at that point of his life was boarding schools and a year of college.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:18 pm

gnaruki wrote:Well the Pakistani industrialist is third generation business scion AKA the fuck-up generation and did he ever do that spectacularly. Maybe the kooks are onto something, Kurt.

I feel bad for his kid. All he'd probably known at that point of his life was boarding schools and a year of college.

Yah, idiot pressured his kid to join him.

Of course all the 19 year olds that were risking their lives on US and Canadian Military rescue vessels were pretty much told they had to go do there with no choice in the matter cuz that's what they signed up to do.

I hope the US and Canada coast guard and Military learned some things to apply later to save people from this exercise.

Fun Fact: The CEO Stockton Rush is a descendant of two signers of the Constitution. Benjamin Rush made his money as a doctor and supplying the Lewis and Clark expedition with Dr. Rush's Bilious Pills which were mostly Mercury.
Because of this, The Lewis and Clark expedition was the largest polluters in the Mississippi and Missouri River valleys from 1800 to 1820 and because they were pooping Mercury we are now able to tell exactly where they went.

His family has been loaded since the USA was part of the UK and even founded what is now Princeton Under King George II as College of New Jersey.

So the procedure for getting the grunts of two nations to try to save them from themselves is just having like Cousin Biffy calling Princeton alum and eventually C-17 planes are launched.

Also, You cannot sign a waiver to supersede NTSB Regulations. If your sub takes passengers, either paid or otherwise, you gotta get inspected. Again Someone made some calls and the NTSB was called off, even after appearing on a news program flaunting the fact that they took paying passengers and while disregarding safety measures and inspections.

So 300 years of getting whatever they wanted, even independence from England and now all they want is for people to be respectful. The once choice we are able to make in this whole thing and they want that in their favor as well.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Tarkan » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:22 pm

I don't think there are many better recent examples of collective Hubris than the CEO.

"We want a diverse, inspirational company, not a company staffed with 50 year old white ex-submariner "experts"...proceeds to fire 50 year old white ex-submariner immediately after he raised safety concerns.

"They told us we couldn't create a deep submersible with carbon fiber and titanium, but we did it!"

"If you want to be safe, never get out of bed in the morning!"
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Jun 24, 2023 8:04 pm

Tarkan wrote:I don't think there are many better recent examples of collective Hubris than the CEO.

"We want a diverse, inspirational company, not a company staffed with 50 year old white ex-submariner "experts"...proceeds to fire 50 year old white ex-submariner immediately after he raised safety concerns.

"They told us we couldn't create a deep submersible with carbon fiber and titanium, but we did it!"

The Carbon fiber bit was funny. A great material. Light, strong and high tensile strength. Apparently a butt load of racers today are alive because of carbon fiber "tubs".
So a rich guy...probably had carbon fiber cars, carbon fiber boats etc. figured the same standards would have applied with a sub.

And ZeroHedge comment section is all about how he didn't want White guys. Implying "Lack of White Guys = Failure" and also assuming that diversity hires came up with the design rather than the middle aged white guy CEO. But the hubris is there. If you don't hire people or listen to people based on their race, sex and age you will be fucked.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:44 am

If there is any time I want a 50-year-old with massive experience, it's when I am trying to design shit that is gonna stop me getting rendered into ash.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:16 pm

Kurt wrote:The Carbon fiber bit was funny. A great material. Light, strong and high tensile strength. Apparently a butt load of racers today are alive because of carbon fiber "tubs".
So a rich guy...probably had carbon fiber cars, carbon fiber boats etc. figured the same standards would have applied with a sub.

Carbon fibre is used is racing cars because it's incredibly rigid (meaning it doesn't flex), which is needed for the suspension to work properly. It's also extremely light. Neither of these properties is needed in a bathyscaphe (technically it's not a submarine). It also has very little strength in compression (all materials have different strengths in different stress modes), which is sorta essential when you're 4000m under water. So whoever designed that thing is not an engineer but a complete dumbarse.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:59 pm

Kurt wrote:
Tarkan wrote:I don't think there are many better recent examples of collective Hubris than the CEO.

The Carbon fiber bit was funny. A great material. Light, strong and high tensile strength. Apparently a butt load of racers today are alive because of carbon fiber "tubs".

And ZeroHedge comment section is all about how he didn't want White guys. Implying "Lack of White Guys = Failure" and also assuming that diversity hires came up with the design rather than the middle aged white guy CEO. But the hubris is there. If you don't hire people or listen to people based on their race, sex and age you will be fucked.

The "50 year old white guys" is a quote from the CEO. If you look at the company employees...they were pretty white. I don't think he was racist. I don't even think he was ageist. But 50 year old white guys who were experts in what he was trying to do would tell him a lot of shit he didn't want to hear about why he couldn't or shouldn't do stuff like bond titanium to carbon fiber. 22-25 year old kids with sociology or computer science degrees...probably less likely to do so.

So again, his sin wasn't wokism although he checked off a couple of boxes for probably marketing purposes. His fatal sin was hubris. He was so convinced in his own genius he was willing to risk his life and his son's life to prove it.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:14 pm

snaark wrote:
Kurt wrote:The Carbon fiber bit was funny. A great material. Light, strong and high tensile strength. Apparently a butt load of racers today are alive because of carbon fiber "tubs".

Carbon fibre is used is racing cars because it's incredibly rigid (meaning it doesn't flex), which is needed for the suspension to work properly. It's also extremely light. Neither of these properties is needed in a bathyscaphe (technically it's not a submarine). It also has very little strength in compression (all materials have different strengths in different stress modes), which is sorta essential when you're 4000m under water. So whoever designed that thing is not an engineer but a complete dumbarse.

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say you could make a carbon fiber shell thick enough to withstand the pressure.

It's bonded to titanium. With adhesive. The carbon fiber is held together with adhesive. All of these materials have (radically) different compression and expansion characteristics, especially under different temperatures. Titanium is ductile. It can flex and go back to it's original state. Carbon fiber, not so much. How much is not so much is something that a responsible company would have figured out with testing compression and expression cycle to failure, but apparently nobody had time for that here.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe