Bibi Bails to the bunker

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Bibi Bails to the bunker

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:06 am

seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Re: Bibi Bails to the bunker

Postby Kurt » Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:51 am

seektravelinfo wrote:https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12684385/Israeli-prime-minister-Benjamin-Netanyahu-wife-Sara-decamped-luxury-mansion-deep-nuclear-bunker.html

Bibi has dashed international Goodwill faster than Bush II ever did.

Me 2 weeks ago: Get Hamas!
IDF: kills 3000 children in Gaza.
Me now: WTF?
IDF: Hamas was headquartered in Children
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby seektravelinfo » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:23 pm

Honestly, they didn’t have these problems when that land was all Ottoman Empire. Everyone got along even though the Christians and the Jews had to pay the “I’m not a Muslim” tax. The new Zionists at the beginning of 20th C. had an influx of rude emigres from Russia (their version of Proud Boys) who started shit. Now that Erdogan is rattling sabres and suggesting he’ll send the Turkish military to help out Hamas he can re-establish Turkiye’s grand empire.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:40 pm

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then it would seem logical that Putin in Russia and Assad in Syria would be welcoming Bibi into the club instead of objecting to Israel's "special military operation" in Gaza.
Michael
BFCus Regularus

Postby rickshaw92 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:37 pm

suggesting he’ll send the Turkish military to help out Hamas

I've been to Turkey a few times and always enjoyed my time there.

Shame what will happen to the place if Sultan Erdie fucks around as I am sure he will find out.
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Darcy » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:12 pm

I lived in Turkey for over two years, wasn't fluent but could get by decently. Mostly in Samson and Trabzon, some Istanbul and Sinop. Lots of helo pilot friends that got caught up in the coup (I was there around 2012 give or take) . We weren't close but...

I was worried Erdoğan was pushing towards a non-secular Iranian sort of country, as were most of my Turkish friends, as Ataturk's vision is still wildly in favour. Gülen seemed like a popular and moderate option. But how many years later, he hasn't really pushed into post-Shah Iranian extremes. Turkey is still secular. It does want to be a world player and feels held back, and stepping up in the current crisis will give Erdoğa the cred he's looking for. The general population, while whole heartedly wished to keep Turkey extremely Turkish (getting a pizza was a stretch, and forget about any asian cuisine), were extremely pleasant and welcoming.

Wish I could go back but my name's flagged for a work VISA screw up.....
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:41 am

seektravelinfo wrote:Honestly, they didn’t have these problems when that land was all Ottoman Empire. Everyone got along even though the Christians and the Jews had to pay the “I’m not a Muslim” tax. The new Zionists at the beginning of 20th C. had an influx of rude emigres from Russia (their version of Proud Boys) who started shit. Now that Erdogan is rattling sabres and suggesting he’ll send the Turkish military to help out Hamas he can re-establish Turkiye’s grand empire.

LOL. What a twit. If white people did that to brown people, you would call it an apartheid state.

Talk about white washing bullshit.

Everyone generally got along as long as the Dhimmis kept their place as second class citizens, didn't get to uppity and try to repair any churches or ring any church bells. And even then, that didn't stop the occasional pogrom when Muslims would rampage and kill some Christians and Jews for sport.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby seektravelinfo » Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:30 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:
suggesting he’ll send the Turkish military to help out Hamas

I've been to Turkey a few times and always enjoyed my time there.

Shame what will happen to the place if Sultan Erdie fucks around as I am sure he will find out.

I have been there many times too. I’ve not traveled the north coast yet, land of the Laz peoples, but I’d like to someday. My visits were mostly to the southeast, once to Cappadocia and the best Iskender Kebap anywhere is to be found in Bursa.

My first visit in 2002 Recep T. was campaigning for leadership and there were cautious hopes for him, and dang he’s still there, and not the moderate he was taken for at first. Turkey is very proud of their military, and they like war. Kick them out of NATO, I say. Erdogan had the nerve to throw a hissy fit to block Sweden from entering NATO recently. Sweden! All because they take in Kurdish refugees.
seektravelinfo
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:20 am

Was in Istanbul and Eastern Turkey in 2007. The east is where to go to avoid tourists. Did a couple of mountains including Ararat, no ark up there. Lake Van, Dogubeyazit and Kars are pretty cool to visit if not slightly bleak.

I'm with Rickshaw on the goofball running it but there could always be someone nuttier.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe