Smart Move: 21 year old leaves the USA

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Re: Smart Move: 21 year old leaves the USA

Postby Kurt » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:50 pm

Alphabet wrote:Daughter graduated last year after 5 years of chasing her B.Arch. Spent the last 2 summers interning with the Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz in Bonn. They offered her a job and she took it. She is disappointed she can't take her SIG with her though.

She's tires on fire to get there, and leaves in 2 months. I'm jealous as fuck.

Son has 1 year left in HS and is hell bent on Ireland. I love the little fucker more than my own life, but he doesn't have the drive his sister does. He'll probably end up a bartender there. Which, now that I think about it..he'll probably make more money than his sister.

Hell, I would have loved to have been a bartender in Ireland in my 20s. I would love to do that as a "Retirement Job" to a degree but then I remember things like "Why the hell do I want to work when I am retired?" I have been contributing to Social Security since my paper route when I was 12 so that is about 44 years of working and 34 years of working full time ('cept for one year of travel to the Balkans so 43 and 33 years)

Also if the kid has any musical talent he can get a busking permit in Ireland and drink and eat for free in any decent music bar...and get paid on the street and be eligible for health care. Just tell him to travel home for Dental care (or Germany would work too)

I wish I had that plan in High School.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Alphabet » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:56 pm

Kurt wrote:
Alphabet wrote:Daughter graduated last year after 5 years of chasing her B.Arch. Spent the last 2 summers interning with the Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz in Bonn. They offered her a job and she took it. She is disappointed she can't take her SIG with her though.

She's tires on fire to get there, and leaves in 2 months. I'm jealous as fuck.

Son has 1 year left in HS and is hell bent on Ireland. I love the little fucker more than my own life, but he doesn't have the drive his sister does. He'll probably end up a bartender there. Which, now that I think about it..he'll probably make more money than his sister.

Hell, I would have loved to have been a bartender in Ireland in my 20s. I would love to do that as a "Retirement Job" to a degree but then I remember things like "Why the hell do I want to work when I am retired?" I have been contributing to Social Security since my paper route when I was 12 so that is about 44 years of working and 34 years of working full time ('cept for one year of travel to the Balkans so 43 and 33 years)

Also if the kid has any musical talent he can get a busking permit in Ireland and drink and eat for free in any decent music bar...and get paid on the street and be eligible for health care. Just tell him to travel home for Dental care (or Germany would work too)

I wish I had that plan in High School.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as jealous of him getting to do that as I am what his sister is going to do.

Well...at least voyeuristic wise. Me doing the bar scene at his age, fuck yes. At my age now? No thanks.

He's musically talented, thanks to his mother. He's been playing horribly shitty awesome teenage garage band music with a core group of friends all through HS. They've been all over since inception. 2 or 3 months trying out Norwegian death metal. Next month SoCal 60s surf rock. Month after that they're the Kinks..etc..etc.. Makes sense as they are all kids of Gen X'ers.

Goofy kids having fun. The only thing we all asked was no hard drugs, and no pregnancies.
Alphabet
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:59 pm

Best drug advice I ever got was from this Biker in my hometown who took a liking to me when I had just returned from Trondheim Norway (his grandfather who raised him was born there). He said "Do whatever you want but Heroin. If you do Heroin you will either die or your friends you do heroin with will die. If you do coke and you like it too much you will become a dickhead and then go broke. If you do too much meth you will become weird and smelly but a little bit is ok when you gotta stay awake."

And he is pretty much right 'cept heroin is even worse these days.

"Bar scenes" in Ireland are mostly middle aged to old dudes hanging out and drinking 4.2% Guinness. I can totally handle that.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Previous

Return to Black Flag Cafe