The Cruise Industry ...HAHAHAHAHA

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

The Cruise Industry ...HAHAHAHAHA

Postby Kurt » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:06 pm

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/thre ... index.html

Idiots sold everything to have everything done for them for 3 years.

They did not even have a ship.

And, the person who set it all up is offering another identical "Live at sea for 3 years" thing with another company and offering the people who got screwed over by her the first time to "move over" to the new company so she can "get things going".

This is a classic case where a bad business plan turns into fraud.

Fraud victims are the best people to hit up for fraud again (like she is doing with her former customers). My guess is the new company, HLC Cruises, will offer "Life At Sea" victims a discount rate and then just take their money again.

https://www.hlc.cruises/
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: The Cruise Industry ...HAHAHAHAHA

Postby snaark » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:08 am

Never understood why anyone would go on one of these things.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:28 pm

snaark wrote:Never understood why anyone would go on one of these things.

Not my thing at all either but if I was disabled or traveling with someone who was I can see how a cruise could be an easier way to travel to places or see sights.

I have co workers who do Cruises and they always catch COVID on them. Crazy big, really crowded petri dishes.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby ROB » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:15 pm

They seem like hell on earth to me.

But everyone raves about how great they are.

I wonder if I am missing something. Tempted to go on a short one to find out for that reason alone.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:52 pm

ROB wrote:They seem like hell on earth to me.

But everyone raves about how great they are.

I wonder if I am missing something. Tempted to go on a short one to find out for that reason alone.

If one that is so great for my desires comes along I think it will become self evident.

A friend of mine went on one with his family for his dad's 85th birthday. His dad was not ambulatory so they had a good time together.

But that was all he complimented about it. He would have never gone if it weren't for his dad.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:40 pm

I really feel sorry for those people.

Cruises sound like hell on earth to me too, though I would consider a National Geographic cruise if I was flush with cash.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:02 pm

Chimborazo wrote:I really feel sorry for those people.

Cruises sound like hell on earth to me too, though I would consider a National Geographic cruise if I was flush with cash.

Carl Sagan used to do Astronomy Cruises...That would be cool.

There is very little that would get me to take a cruise but I am sure there is something that would get me on a cruise ship.

Like passenger navigation classes with a sextant.

Harpoon throwing classes.

Stuff like that.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby SRR » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:40 am

Kurt wrote:There is very little that would get me to take a cruise but I am sure there is something that would get me on a cruise ship.

Like passenger navigation classes with a sextant.

Harpoon throwing classes.

Stuff like that.

Something like "seafaring for the financially comfortable out of shape middle aged westerner".

Where you wake up at sea in your comfy oversized bed, have a large breakfast with mimosas, put on a pirate hat and wrap a rope around some sort of ship thing and then have a nap. And boast how you are totally sailoring like those dudes from the 1700s.

Throw a harpoon around 2pm then have a few beers and another nap. To get a "real feel" of how tough the pressganged deck swabbers had it back in the 1600s.

If you find anything like it I might do it too.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby Kurt » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:07 am

Ok....This could be fun:

Airsoft but with Age Of Sail type cannons. Grappling hooks, Airsoft flintlocks and matchlocks and done on refurbished "Love Boat" sized cruise ships (since those are way too small for regular cruises) and then the cruise is spent fighting another cruise ship and trying to overtake each other.
End of the day is feasting and boozing Then washing down B1 pills with Pedialyte, sleeping until noon and doing it again.

Various themes could be done too like Boat of Vampires, Steam Punk, Post Apocalypse, or 1970s "Love Boat" with the same hair and clothes and everything but they get attacked by A Clockwork Orange Droogie boat.

Airsoft makes cannons right?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Kurt » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:09 am

And it would have to have things like showers and toilets and a bar cuz I am not gonna get Keel Hauled by fellow passengers and not have a drink and a shower afterwards.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Darcy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:41 pm

i know a bunch of ex-SEALs that LOVE LOVE LOVE cruises. Must be a Navy thing. Lots of them bought a shit load of cruise company stock when COVID shut everything down and prices tanked. I can't see myself embedded into a crowd intentionally, for every stop. They come into Halifax regularly and the downtown gets pretty crowded. I research off season for anything I do to avoid same
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Return to Black Flag Cafe