In Lagos

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

In Lagos

Postby Kurt » Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:01 am

Even wilder than before.

Tons of young Chinese at the airport waiting for Visa on Arrival and of course Nigerians are now speaking Chinese apparently fluently (A West African who knows 5 or more languages is not unusual)

Had a bunch of Heinekens and some great Suya and slept for 16 hours.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: In Lagos

Postby ROB » Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:26 am

pics or it didn't happen
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:17 am

They've got a new metro, had a chance to ride it yet?
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:11 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:They've got a new metro, had a chance to ride it yet?

No. But the entrances to it are unlit and locals claim it does not really run.

For some stupid reason my jetlag is making me wake up at 1am EST. A time I never am awake these days.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Devlin » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:58 am

Safe travels.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:42 pm

Devlin wrote:Safe travels.

My family here is quite over protective but my white ass attracts attention so my excursions are limited.
And my antimalarials are kicking my ass now. It's giving me nightmares. Not cool horror story ones but realistic ones like "job interview that goes wrong" or "forgets important documents " ...that sort of thing.

The documents one I actually tried to go back to sleep so I could continue looking for them. I did not want my "dream self" to get arrested.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Darcy » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:38 pm

Kurt wrote:
Devlin wrote:Safe travels.

My family here is quite over protective but my white ass attracts attention so my excursions are limited.
And my antimalarials are kicking my ass now. It's giving me nightmares. Not cool horror story ones but realistic ones like "job interview that goes wrong" or "forgets important documents " ...that sort of thing.

The documents one I actually tried to go back to sleep so I could continue looking for them. I did not want my "dream self" to get arrested.

Over a decade in Africa, I skipped the malarone, though it was mandatory, for this reason, and my kidneys. I had a few friends with the nightmares. They sounded scary AF. One engineer working really dark ops with shady cats spent two decades kicking around DRC, Uganda, etc.. and never went off the stuff. He was mostly deep jungle. I heard long term it's hard on kidneys too but he's still at it. The locals told me if you are there long term, better to stay it off as it masks the symptoms. If you get hit with malaria, then knock it down with double doses of the stuff. Western Doctors rolled their eyes when I told them but I figure listen to the African medical professionals. Short visits its recommended though. I had two friends nearly die of cerebral malaria, but I was lucky. Board shorts and flip flops and beach parties, out all night.... Kind of stupid but I'd probably do it the same again. I avoided the anthrax vaccine too on other jobs, but had to dive head first into the COVID shit to stay employed.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:15 pm

The locals advised me not to take Malarone a no d instead they had Amatem Forte waiting for me which is made in Lagos and used by Lagosians. They don't get symptoms from it but my Norwegian genetics seem to get nailed by it.

But I have had goat, snails and beer today so all is well but I expect the night terrors will be worse as the drug builds in my system.
Plus wormwood laced Orijin is delicious and a cure for any nasties carried by the good food.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby snaark » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:23 pm

Isn't there a vaccine for malaria now?
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:28 pm

snaark wrote:Isn't there a vaccine for malaria now?

If so that will make this discussion dumb.

But when I got Chicken Pox at age 32 and almost died while vasectomy-ing myself it turned out there was a chicken pox vax then too... I just didn't know about it.

I could just claim it was a Soros conspiracy to make myself feel better.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Darcy » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:52 pm

Kurt wrote:The locals advised me not to take Malarone a no d instead they had Amatem Forte waiting for me which is made in Lagos and used by Lagosians. They don't get symptoms from it but my Norwegian genetics seem to get nailed by it.

But I have had goat, snails and beer today so all is well but I expect the night terrors will be worse as the drug builds in my system.
Plus wormwood laced Orijin is delicious and a cure for any nasties carried by the good food.

A few buddies described the nightmares, like driving over roads covered with babies with all the screaming and heads popping, super realistic, not being able to stop....lots of horror movie and darker shit. Scared me right off the stuff
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:25 pm

Kurt wrote:If so that will make this discussion dumb.

Which would be unusual for this place.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby ReptilianKittenEater » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:41 am

Is that stuff like Larium?

I've taken Doxy in the past. No nightmares, just heartburn.
ReptilianKittenEater
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:19 am

ReptilianKittenEater wrote:Is that stuff like Larium?

I've taken Doxy in the past. No nightmares, just heartburn.

Love Doxy.

It might be like Larium but I have never taken it.

Btw. Only the Blue line of the Metro is open. I am staying closest to the Yaba stop on the RedLine. Wayyyy out of the way for a ride.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby snaark » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:02 pm

Kurt wrote:
snaark wrote:Isn't there a vaccine for malaria now?

If so that will make this discussion dumb.

Not necessarily dumb, but not up to date. The vaccines are relatively new and I've no idea if you can get them in the west, but apparently they are being rolled out across Africa:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaria_vaccine
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Black Flag Cafe