4x4 Rental in Europe

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

4x4 Rental in Europe

Postby Kurt » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:16 pm

Going to be going on rough roads in Greece and Bulgaria in June but not going "off roading". Most roads will be limestone gravel so decent when dry but possibly really muddy.

So far I am going for small and narrow cars only so I am lioking at either a Fiat Panda 4x4 or Suzuki Jimney.

I've driven regular Panda before and I like them but I suspect the Suzuki will be better built.
I will always be tempted by a Hi Lux but not gonna bother seeking one out.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: 4x4 Rental in Europe

Postby snaark » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:24 pm

I suspect you'll have a difficult time renting something so specific. Both are pretty rare cars. Something like a Dacia Duster would be easier to find. It's a bigger than a Jimny but not as big as a Hilux. I rented a Skoda Fabia when I was in Belgrade in December and it was pretty good on shit roads and Balkan traffic. Make sure your insurance covers you on unsealed roads.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:28 pm

snaark wrote:I suspect you'll have a difficult time renting something so specific. Both are pretty rare cars. Something like a Dacia Duster would be easier to find. It's a bigger than a Jimny but not as big as a Hilux. I rented a Skoda Fabia when I was in Belgrade in December and it was pretty good on shit roads and Balkan traffic. Make sure your insurance covers you on unsealed roads.

I did not know a Duster was 4x4 so thanks. Those are more common. I will check out the Fabia too.

When I drove a Panda in the Italian Alps I was impressed. One of those go-slow-but-get-there type of cars. Seemed like in 4x4 mode it could go anywhere in 2nd gear.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby mb » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:51 am

Do you really need a 4x4?

A Dacia Logan is fine for rough roads. Built for them.

I imagine a 2CV or a Renault 4 would work too, but good luck renting one. Or having it stay running, since none have been made in 20 years.

Perhaps you can find the prototype Renault 4EVer?
mb
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:05 pm

mb wrote:Do you really need a 4x4?

A Dacia Logan is fine for rough roads. Built for them.

I imagine a 2CV or a Renault 4 would work too, but good luck renting one. Or having it stay running, since none have been made in 20 years.

Perhaps you can find the prototype Renault 4EVer?

Dunno. I need "narrow" first but I can tell if it rains the back roads of crete are gonna be a bitch and my wife has health issues so a 4x4 is more JIC than anything.
VW Up! Seems narrow and pleasantly exotic to an American who tends to get cars that are like giant metal baloons.

If it was just me traveling I would rent a dual-sport scooter or something
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby gnaruki » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:22 pm

Eheheh. Here comes Mr. Kurt in his windup-sized four wheeler. Don’t let your cravat get caught in the belts when checking the oil and hopefully there’s enough cabin clearance for you pith helmet. At least that is how I am going to imagine you dressed for an adventure.

The last rental car I used in Europe was a Ford Galaxie

Wait I mean Ford Galaxy

It was a perfectly sized steel balloon for Tuscan roads.

Anyway. I did some quick internet sleuthing and it appears 4x4 rentals aren’t too difficult to be had in Greece. During my skimming it appears public transit muggings are common, and the police don’t care. So maybe renting direct from an airport is the safest option. Sounds like a fun trip.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby snaark » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:02 pm

I'd prefer the first Galaxie, just not sure I could afford to drive it with petrol at 1.8€/L petrol.
snaark
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:25 pm

snaark wrote:I'd prefer the first Galaxie, just not sure I could afford to drive it with petrol at 1.8€/L petrol.

Until 1975 we had a Galaxie just like that one except ours was "Grandparent Green" (not sure what the official color was) I would take that one too.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Black Flag Cafe