Traditions and superstitions

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Traditions and superstitions

Postby Kurt » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:08 am

My wife is from Nigeria and my family is from Norway. One thing that we found we had in common was our pre-Christian traditions are similar.

Norway had the Nisse which were spirits that occupied the forests. When the forest was cleared for farming the Nisse had to occupy themselves and so the farmers decided to give them offerings (usually milk so the Nisse would then watch over the goats and cows). Now they are portrayed as Garden Gnome like creatures but they match the Leprechuans of Ireland and the Household Deities of Rome. In Nigeria (Igbo) they came into being the same way (agriculture) but were nameless...but they were forest spirits turned farm spirits. But a Nisse could easily integrate into an Igbo animist pantheon and both would feel at home being worshipped at the Hearth by Romans.

I also think of the residents of Jersey UK. Apparently the story going around for generations was "my grandfather told me his grandfather was able to walk to France at low tide." and recent research proved that to be true, but 7000 years ago. So that meant the same story about an elder claiming an earlier elder was able to walk to the European continent was passed down for 7000 years.

Anyway, do any of you have any traditions or superstitions that might be alot older than what you were told

Mine is this: On Christmas Eve you must change the bedding of your animals in order to honor the animals that were present at Christ's birth in the manger. (I do this but with kitty litter and washing the cats bedding)

But I think this may have come from Nisse placating and was adapted to Jesus later.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Re: Traditions and superstitions

Postby rickshaw92 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:24 pm

I don't walk under scaffolding because scaffolding is kinda like a ladder and walking under one of em is 7 years bad luck. I also knock on the outside part of the plane when ever I fly somewhere for good luck. I think that works as I have been on some shitty carriers and not had a crash.

Do you still have the same cats Kurt?
Im reallly fuclimg pissed but fespite that I can still hit a tarfet at 1000m plus. mayVRVe bnot tonight but it qint beyond the wit if man. Nowhammy.
rickshaw92
Pikey Bastard

Postby Kurt » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:38 pm

rickshaw92 wrote:I don't walk under scaffolding because scaffolding is kinda like a ladder and walking under one of em is 7 years bad luck. I also knock on the outside part of the plane when ever I fly somewhere for good luck. I think that works as I have been on some shitty carriers and not had a crash.

Do you still have the same cats Kurt?

I have been cycling through cats lately. Poor, fluffy suicidal things. (my primary BFC cats died in 2008 and 2015 (one lived to be 18)

The ladder and scaffholding thing makes sense. If something falls from a ladder it is gonna land underneath it so that is where you do not want to be walking. I had a friend who tapped on the outside of cars before a trip. I wonder if that originated with horses or mules first?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby gnaruki » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:04 pm

My grandmother always insisted guests leave her house the same door they entered. The internet tells me that is some Irish tradition which is interesting considering she was Pennsylvania Dutch and French. She also made great salted pork and sauerkraut. Cow tongue was a common dish she'd make this time of year.

Other side of my lineage, my grandfather was first generation Norwegian-American (his parents immigrated). Super secular for his era, almost atheist. So no wacky stuff on that side.

Happy birthday, Kurt! ( I think it was your birthday yesterday ... I only remember that because it's Henry Rollins too ... don't know why that's imprinted in my memory )
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:38 pm

gnaruki wrote:My grandmother always insisted guests leave her house the same door they entered. The internet tells me that is some Irish tradition which is interesting considering she was Pennsylvania Dutch and French. She also made great salted pork and sauerkraut. Cow tongue was a common dish she'd make this time of year.

Other side of my lineage, my grandfather was first generation Norwegian-American (his parents immigrated). Super secular for his era, almost atheist. So no wacky stuff on that side.

Happy birthday, Kurt! ( I think it was your birthday yesterday ... I only remember that because it's Henry Rollins too ... don't know why that's imprinted in my memory )

yep, it was, fifty-fuckin six,
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Darcy » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:50 pm

I used to date this Caribbean gal whose mother was seriously into Obeah. Put a LOT of stock into her dreams. Had this vision one night that I was doing her some evil and got quite upset, but I was just trying to get laid. It was a scary but fun relationship. Girlfriend in Tanzania saw some witchdoctor and paid for a spell that I wouldn't leave her. Another Tanzanian I worked with heard about it and was very concerned, but nothing came of it. Yet. We are still friends.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:50 pm

Darcy wrote:Girlfriend in Tanzania saw some witchdoctor and paid for a spell that I wouldn't leave her. Another Tanzanian I worked with heard about it and was very concerned, but nothing came of it. Yet. We are still friends.

You need to take that shit seriously. Look what happened with Ethan.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:33 pm

Kurt wrote: yep, it was, fifty-fuckin six,

Happy birthday man!
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby Kurt » Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:17 am

el3so wrote:
Kurt wrote: yep, it was, fifty-fuckin six,

Happy birthday man!

Thanks.

I just soiled myself.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Black Flag Cafe