BFC Chat room

The Black Flag Cafe is the place travelers come to share stories and advice. Moderated by Robert Young Pelton the author of The World's Most Dangerous Places.

Moderator: coldharvest

Do you want a BFC Chat room?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes : 29

BFC Chat room

Postby kilroy » Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:50 am

I asked Kurt about this in the tech questions forum, and i noticed Jonas posted a topic in here about it. I was just wondering what everyone else thought about it. please add any additional comments you think should be heard.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

The chat room in the old place

Postby Kurt » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:45 am

Was one of the cooler features of the board (along with the bigger default fonts). So here is the order of stuff I am going to work on.

1. Fix the font size hopefully by Sunday or Monday night

2.Get a prototype of a chat server up on my home computer and see if it works and how much of a resource sucker it is...then ask RYP to see if he wants me to set it up (he is paying for our fun, so he has final say)

3.Work on setting up a blog for RYP (with a special Condoleeza Rice doctored photos section...because we know she is perfect for that)

However there are some factors to consider:

Due to either limits in the services offered by our webhosting company or limits in my skill, something we all want, might not happen....this includes things such as database connections, unavailability of some application needed to make another application run (like mod_perl), resource use (we have a lot of bandwith and disk space, but if RYP gets kidnapped again, more planes fly into buildings, or this gets featured on some news site then that is something we have to plan for), or laziness on my part.

Plus you can't please everyone

Too many cooks

Etc. etc.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

sorry kurt

Postby kilroy » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:00 pm

i'm not trying to be a dick, i realize you've put a lot of time and effort into this thing (and still are) and that you're flying by the seat of your pants with an unfamiliar program. just wondering what the other flaggers thought about the chat room.
kilroy
BFCus Regularus

Chat Room

Postby Tacos » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:10 pm

I'm not sure how it would work, but if it is easy for Kurt to set up it would be a nice added feature to have the chat room.
Tacos
BFCus Regularus

No, nothing is happening

Postby Kurt » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:29 pm

I technically have time now but I am sick as hell with a cold that turned into Bronchitus and just don't feel like doing much.

I'll look into it again if this soup helps.

I tried a prototype on my own home webserver , but it needs its own separate database for some stupid reason and I have not been about to figure out how to modify it to share. (here we have one database with separate tables.)

I gotta work on the fonts too.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Black Flag Cafe