My Randall Knife

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

My Randall Knife

Postby Devlin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:50 pm

So, like six years ago, I sent in a deposit on a Randall knife. The deposit was fifty bucks, so it was not that big a deal. Well last year, I was told it was ready and I had to play the five hundred or so that was left on the balance.

Now I must say, the knife is beautiful. It is a Model 17, Astro. Designed to stab aliens in space if needed. Here is the issue, it is so nice that I just keep it in a safe and look at it now and then. I am scared to use it to hurt the resale value even though, I will never resell it.

Am I just being a bitch and should I pull it out and start cutting things to get over this.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Re: My Randall Knife

Postby Kurt » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:01 pm

https://randallknives.com/products/astro

That is cool.

I carry a $30 Buck folder now so I do not feel I have wasted money by losing something more valuable. It is a decent knife but I have been in more situations where I wish I had a HEST fixed (like opening a crate of server equipment) on me than I have ever had wishing I had my 1.5" Buck folder on me. So I am not sure I am making the right choice either.
"[Fighting] Germany we could take away everything from them. Make the Nazis no longer economically viable until the country they used as their vehicle surrendered to us on our terms..but we do not have that condition available for us now. We cannot bomb our own country but they have the option of to be violent, so we have to hit them legally and economically so they can no longer function or else someone else will need to bomb us to get rid of them." (WWII Veteran 4 months before January 6th)
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Darcy » Thu May 09, 2024 6:41 pm

I do love a Randall knife! I carried my Model 15 Airman on my belt flying all over the high Canadian Arctic and north country, and a few spots in the ME and North Africa as well. Mostly as a survival knife in case I went down but it cleaned a lot of char, opened some MREs and even cut up some narwhal I got from a local!

Into small cubes. I tried it raw as my Inuit buddy does, but found it pretty chewy. In a soup was better but the best was fried in soya

Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri May 10, 2024 3:40 pm

Do they have Narwhal "cracklins" or is it just either raw blubber or cooked blubber? How is it? Would you choose it over a more "conventional" food if available or is it an acquired taste?

The two times I have had whale they were both Minke. One in Norway and one in Iceland. The whale I had in Iceland was kind of boring (oddly the most boring part of an awesome meal that included Puffin, Fermented and dried Greenland Shark, and Horse). It was sorta like a "salisbury steak" but with actual steak instead of hamburger. The whale I had in Norway was awesome. Dark red meat, tasted like Filet Mignon marinated with a bit if caviar. 21 years later I still remember and think about that meal often.
"[Fighting] Germany we could take away everything from them. Make the Nazis no longer economically viable until the country they used as their vehicle surrendered to us on our terms..but we do not have that condition available for us now. We cannot bomb our own country but they have the option of to be violent, so we have to hit them legally and economically so they can no longer function or else someone else will need to bomb us to get rid of them." (WWII Veteran 4 months before January 6th)
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Darcy » Fri May 10, 2024 6:52 pm

Kurt wrote:Do they have Narwhal "cracklins" or is it just either raw blubber or cooked blubber? How is it? Would you choose it over a more "conventional" food if available or is it an acquired taste?

The two times I have had whale they were both Minke. One in Norway and one in Iceland. The whale I had in Iceland was kind of boring (oddly the most boring part of an awesome meal that included Puffin, Fermented and dried Greenland Shark, and Horse). It was sorta like a "salisbury steak" but with actual steak instead of hamburger. The whale I had in Norway was awesome. Dark red meat, tasted like Filet Mignon marinated with a bit if caviar. 21 years later I still remember and think about that meal often.

Blubber and skin. I'm sure all the best meat goes to the community. My inuit pals love it but I only ate it to try it out. Very very fishy and oily, and chewy. I've had seal quite a few times and prefer that, the meat, not the blubber. My buddy, who took over my position up in Iqaluit, actually had polar bear! Said it was not bad at all. I've had a lot of black bear and imagine it's similar.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri May 10, 2024 8:51 pm

Generally "fishy" things are always an acquired taste. I tend to like fishy things like stinky fish sauce, anchovies and caviar so I would probably really like blubber.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Darcy » Mon May 13, 2024 11:58 am

Devlin wrote:So, like six years ago, I sent in a deposit on a Randall knife. The deposit was fifty bucks, so it was not that big a deal. Well last year, I was told it was ready and I had to play the five hundred or so that was left on the balance.

Now I must say, the knife is beautiful. It is a Model 17, Astro. Designed to stab aliens in space if needed. Here is the issue, it is so nice that I just keep it in a safe and look at it now and then. I am scared to use it to hurt the resale value even though, I will never resell it.

Am I just being a bitch and should I pull it out and start cutting things to get over this.

By the way, use that shit!

I'm always in a huge rush to actually use any new knife I buy, be it on a deer or a trout or anything practical. I've carried my Randalls (that 15 and a 14 sometimes) all over the world, in my checked luggage, knowing there's always a chance of losing it, but I buy everything to use. I've got a few Winklers, some nice DPxs, and some very high end Half Face Blades, and every one of them has travelled and been used. I like them better with a bit of wear anyway....

Some of my fancier HFBs, they've all been carried and been used
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ROB » Tue May 14, 2024 12:12 am

How do you get it through in checked luggage?

I get checked every fucking time. (Big guy with a beard syndrome)

Shit, I got one of those little screw drivers that I use to fix my glasses confiscated in HK cos obviously that's what I would take if I wanted to bring down a plane.
ROB
BFCus Regularus

Postby Darcy » Tue May 14, 2024 8:08 am

I've never had an issue with a knife in checked luggage. I know of one engineer who always travels with a full set of chef knives. There is no restrictions on travelling with a fixed blade in check luggage that I'm aware of. I was averaging some 85,000 miles a year international and there was always a knife in my checked luggage. This is over two decades.

Actually I did get my bag checked once going into Chile and they asked about my "tools" and I told them I was a Bombero, a pilot fighting the forest fires, and that was it.
Darcy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Devlin » Fri May 31, 2024 2:34 am

Darcy wrote:
Devlin wrote:So, like six years ago, I sent in a deposit on a Randall knife. The deposit was fifty bucks, so it was not that big a deal. Well last year, I was told it was ready and I had to play the five hundred or so that was left on the balance.

By the way, use that shit!

I'm always in a huge rush to actually use any new knife I buy, be it on a deer or a trout or anything practical. I've carried my Randalls (that 15 and a 14 sometimes) all over the world, in my checked luggage, knowing there's always a chance of losing it, but I buy everything to use. I've got a few Winklers, some nice DPxs, and some very high end Half Face Blades, and every one of them has travelled and been used. I like them better with a bit of wear anyway....

Some of my fancier HFBs, they've all been carried and been used

Damn, yeah, I think I need to use it. It is what Mr. Randall would want.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!