Show Us Your Gun!!

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Postby michelle in alaska » Sun May 04, 2008 8:49 am

SRR:
that your uber-ninja skills to pull out your "Alaskan" short-barreled pistol in Chow Yun Fat fashion to put one between the bad-ass bruin's eyes is, uh, likely fantasy

LOLOL maybe you think I've watched that 'Final Fantasy' youtube vid a bit too much, the 'yuna' character with the glocks, that i had in my sig. SRR.... that's just 'fantasy'. right?? :)))
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sun May 04, 2008 8:52 am

Tragedy about the old sow bear, to be honest I'd rather the bear had won that encounter. Perhaps if he'd stood his ground and waited the bear may well have not pressed it. Feeling threatened is not enough, I could have shot hundreds of beasts using that defence. Note that the pistol did not kill the bear. Bad for the bear and could have been bad for him.

You are being selective in your reading. That article is about rounds for hunting animals - taking deliberate shots with a rifle from a safe range at an animal most likely in side profile. It is not about close in defence at a head on animal pressing home an attack, when the most important factor is rapid incapacitation - not worrying about noise and recoil.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Sun May 04, 2008 9:01 am

n. i understand your ambivalence. but what do we have? calibrated rifles for gaming? or stuff that is handy when the shit hits the fan. i think most people agree with you re: bigger firepower.
i've encountered brown bear at 30 or 40 yards, alone with small children and no means of defense. (unless you include prayer).
luckily, it all worked out. but i have never surprised a bear. an old grouchy, out on a limb, worried old mother bear with cubs.
who was hungry and trying to feed them.

i don't hunt.
any fish or game that is given to me is taken with thanks to the animal that gave its life, as i'm cleaning it. thanks for its sustinence.

tell me, where are we supposed to be on the food chain?
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby SRR » Sun May 04, 2008 10:04 am

Anyway, SRR is a Canuck is he not?

Roger that.

Therefore the whole debate about which pistol to carry in the woods to defend against bears is moot since it's illegal to take a pistol into the woods here. Unless you're a trapper or a mining prospector, and I'm working on getting my trapper's licence just so I can legally carry my Colt 45 around in the hinterlands.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby nowonmai » Sun May 04, 2008 11:10 am

Unless you're a trapper or a mining prospector, and I'm working on getting my trapper's licence just so I can legally carry my Colt 45 around in the hinterlands.

Outrageous - nearly as bad as not being allowed to defend yourself in your own home. Good luck with the trappers licence - what do you have to do, show a track record of hunting beaver?

but what do we have? calibrated rifles for gaming? or stuff that is handy when the shit hits the fan.

Both if you're a hunter. The latter if you're not. Neither if you're not bothered or a Buddhist.

tell me, where are we supposed to be on the food chain?

Wherever you earn your right to be. Doesn't mean the outcome is just. I put you at the top of the food chain though, which is why I'm trying to persuade you to carry a useful weapon.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Sun May 04, 2008 11:30 am

:)
Last edited by michelle in alaska on Wed May 21, 2008 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Sun May 04, 2008 12:47 pm

nowonmai wrote:
Unless you're always ready for that rare instance in the hinterlands when the bear is charging right at you and you have your gun handy. Sounds like a false sense of security to me, but hell, what do I know.

Anyway, it's all academic because she selected the gun for sentimental reasons. Bad move. Worse move it is a semi which unless she wants to carry with a round in the chamber will require her to draw and make it ready. Why make your life so complicated?

I agree with you here, but why anybody carries most semis without a round in the chamber is beyond me.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Sun May 04, 2008 12:53 pm

nowonmai wrote:You're braver than me. In bear country I'd have nothing less than these pair. The Ruger Alaskan revolver (it's just crying out for you to get it) puts out 3 times the energy of your measly 40 which is designed to put down adult male humans, not bears. As for the Marlin, I'm seriously considering emigrating just to have the excuse to carry that in the back of my pick-up.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/images/Products/58L.jpg

Nice. My favorite Marlin:

"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Mon May 05, 2008 3:41 am

What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby crotalus01 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:38 pm

[img]J-4%20rig%20016.JPG[/img]

okay, fuck it. I fucking hate computers anyways. I guess I am a technoretard......
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby OneLungMcClung » Mon May 05, 2008 11:16 pm

crotalus01 wrote:[img]J-4%20rig%20016.JPG[/img]

okay, fuck it. I fucking hate computers anyways. I guess I am a technoretard......

Lol you're getting there, dude.

You need a web URL.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9264/blogatfstoreyk8.jpg is what it should look like.... but with the IMG tags around it.

Also - you can't stream direct from your computer unless your computer is on all the time. Get a photobucket or imageshack account - it's free......
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Fri May 09, 2008 4:13 pm

Friend of mine pistols she inherited.

Colt Huntsman .22

Colt 41

Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby crotalus01 » Sat May 10, 2008 12:39 am

I know you are trying to help Onelungmclung, but TRIPLE FUCK IT!!!!!!
I follow all instructions to the letter and no dice. You don't need to see my tricked out SKS anyways...
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Hitoru » Sat May 10, 2008 12:46 am

Oh Mannn .......

Don't give up !!!!
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Hitoru » Sat May 10, 2008 12:50 am

Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!