Show Us Your Gun!!

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Postby coldharvest » Fri May 02, 2008 11:42 am

michelle in alaska wrote:hi all,
i know i'm an interloper here, but i couldn't resist.
was just given a Glock 40 from my uncle. I can now officially go out in bear country without my dog. Who's name is Ginger. And who's name changes to 'bearbait' when we're out in the mountains.

but geez, this gun is so loud.

a good old m16 if my favorite, but it's a little obtrusive....as in a pain in the arse to haul around.

Get a carbine
Noveske
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby nowonmai » Fri May 02, 2008 2:04 pm

You're braver than me. In bear country I'd have nothing less than these pair. The Ruger Alaskan revolver (it's just crying out for you to get it) puts out 3 times the energy of your measly 40 which is designed to put down adult male humans, not bears. As for the Marlin, I'm seriously considering emigrating just to have the excuse to carry that in the back of my pick-up.

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Fri May 02, 2008 3:39 pm

that is a nice pair :)
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby michelle in alaska » Fri May 02, 2008 4:25 pm

i agree, m.a. :)
but c.h.--no carbines. i need something smaller.
and nowonmai, it's easier for me to move the Glock into action than it is for me to cock the Ruger.
i've been told by the powers that be that a Glock 40 will cut it, in a pinch. It just 'feels' better, too.

After all, I have to be able to hit what I'm aiming at, right? :)))
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby OneLungMcClung » Fri May 02, 2008 4:47 pm

michelle in alaska wrote:

i agree, m.a. :)
but c.h.--no carbines. i need something smaller.
and nowonmai, it's easier for me to move the Glock into action than it is for me to cock the Ruger.
i've been told by the powers that be that a Glock 40 will cut it, in a pinch. It just 'feels' better, too.

I don't quite know what you're asking here, Michelle. The only thing smaller than a carbine is a handgun, unless you get into NFA and get a Short Barreled Rifle or Short Barreled Shotgun.

Your Glock 40 (I assume this is a Glock in .40 S+W?), if you are complaining that it is "too loud', is still pretty underpowered for a big smelly bear. If you go even smaller you're just gonna make him mad!

So are you looking for

-less noise?
-more firepower?

The two are generally diametrically opposed.

If you need a more powerful handgun, and you like the Glock, get the Glock 20/ or 20c which is 10mm (which is essentially a .40 Magnum). A lot biegger kick and bang.

You can also get the Glock 21 SF (third generation) which is in .45 ACP. Don't get the first or second generation - you won't like the chubby grip. I have huge hands and I don't like the way it feels, like trying to shoot a coke can.

If you need less noise, you have to get into NFA and get a silencer.

Did this help at all? I don't know what you are looking for.
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri May 02, 2008 5:21 pm

OneLungMcClung wrote:.

If you need a more powerful handgun, and you like the Glock, get the Glock 20/ or 20c which is 10mm (which is essentially a .40 Magnum). A lot biegger kick and bang.

That's what I would suggest. A .40 is in about the same category as a .45. 10mm is a whole different beast and although it's got a LOT more wallop than a .40 Short & Whimpy, it's on the light side for bears - even with double tap brand full-house rounds. A .40 isn't really great for anything but a handy defense (from humans) round. Use it on a big bear and you might as well use a fly swatter.

The thing is though, I've been close to a few bears (including Grizzly bears) and based on those experiences, they don't really want to have much to do with 2-legged critters. They've got better things to be doing. Most of the time that involves running away before you'll ever see them - but not always. If you're heading to a place where charging bears are quite common, I suppose the prudent thing to do would be to bring enough gun. A (any) pistol isn't ideal for a bear. A 12 GA with slug/buckshot/slug shell combo rules in that situation.

If you have to compromise (stay concealed), a S&W model 629 stainless (.44 mag) with Cor-bon heavy cast loads would a decent choice. It also puts out 3x the energy as the .40, will be louder (but different tone) and kick harder. It's really nothing to cock a hammer back.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Fri May 02, 2008 5:35 pm

Never trust the powers that be. Ask him whether he has shot a bear with a 40. Having a gun that isn't up to the job is worse than no gun at all because you'll behave like you've got a bangstick of death when you haven't really (this applies to all situations).

The Ruger Alaskan is double action so your adrenaline will make that trigger pull feel like a gossamer thread.

You won't miss because you'll only open up when the bear is on you. You'll see him at 20 yards and spend 18 yards and about 1/2 a second agonising about what to do before he is breathing berry breath in your face. You might miss with the first 2 rounds but once he's got you to ground I bet you'll find the way to stick 3 in the bastards chest.

Wrong picture before. I was poring over other Rugers and got carried away. This little firecracker is the Alaskan.

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby soulohio » Fri May 02, 2008 6:11 pm

that .40 Glock is only good enough to put your own lights out before that farking bear eats hiss way up your crotch...and I got a modele 35...

this is what we are talking aboot:

yup:

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/F0307.html
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby SRR » Sat May 03, 2008 4:05 am

You know, your average dude who happens upon grizzlies and kodiaks on a semi-regular basis may be of the opinion that your uber-ninja skills to pull out your "Alaskan" short-barreled pistol in Chow Yun Fat fashion to put one between the bad-ass bruin's eyes is, uh, likely fantasy. Unless you're always ready for that rare instance in the hinterlands when the bear is charging right at you and you have your gun handy. Sounds like a false sense of security to me, but hell, what do I know.

I'd recommend a grenade in the mouth once it gets close enough while you're playing dead, personally.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby michelle in alaska » Sat May 03, 2008 8:07 am

these are the two guns i was deciding between: a 10mm Glock model 20 or a 44 Ruger Blackhawk

I'm going with the Glock.

SRR, no 'ninja' skillz here. I have an uncle who is retired military and gives classes on the bases. He's been going with me to the firing range every day. i'll keep going. and keep playing with this gun. and taking it apart. and putting it back together. and firing it some more.
then repeat all over again.

i know s and w makes a double action revolver in 44 and on up that you don't have to cock.

but the Glock is a present from my unc. Sentimental value, you understand.

and soulhio wrote:
before that farking bear eats hiss way up your crotch

in serious bear country one NEVER goes out and about during 'that time of the month.'

i'll let you all know how it all works out for me. :))
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby soulohio » Sat May 03, 2008 1:07 pm

SRR wrote:You know, your average dude who happens upon grizzlies and kodiaks on a semi-regular basis may be of the opinion that your uber-ninja skills to pull out your "Alaskan" short-barreled pistol in Chow Yun Fat fashion to put one between the bad-ass bruin's eyes is, uh, likely fantasy.

absolutely not fantasy...that bear will give you a few clues he's around...this ain't friday nite at a bowling alley in detroit trying to pic a narc out from the spoogee dealer...my bud that lives up there goes out with an M16 and a .500....
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sat May 03, 2008 4:55 pm

Unless you're always ready for that rare instance in the hinterlands when the bear is charging right at you and you have your gun handy. Sounds like a false sense of security to me, but hell, what do I know.

If you're going to carry a gun, it has to be handy. If it isn't, leave it at home. People spend much longer periods than during a walk in the woods with weapons at instant readiness. Having a Ruger .480 (Michelle note - .480 double action) bouncing on your hip is no big deal. Any fool with a modicum of practise should draw and fire in under 2 seconds. Michelle would be doing it under 1 within a couple of days.

If you want we can test the theory. You can dress up in a bear costume and I'll come for a walk through your woods for a week or so and you can see if you can surprise me. You probably need to sign a waiver first, so I can leave the country afterwards without any unpleasantness from the RCMP.

Anyway, it's all academic because she selected the gun for sentimental reasons. Bad move. Worse move it is a semi which unless she wants to carry with a round in the chamber will require her to draw and make it ready. Why make your life so complicated? Still, chances are nothing will happen and you may as well take the surfers approach to white sharks - ignore and assume it will be the other guy.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby soulohio » Sat May 03, 2008 5:00 pm

nowonmai wrote:
If you want we can test the theory. You can dress up in a bear costume and I'll come for a walk through your woods for a week or so and you can see if you can surprise me. You probably need to sign a waiver first, so I can leave the country afterwards without any unpleasantness from the RCMP.

we don't have royal anything in the USA...see the war of 1776...

nowonmai wrote:Anyway, it's all academic because she selected the gun for sentimental reasons. Bad move. Worse move it is a semi which unless she wants to carry with a round in the chamber will require her to draw and make it ready. Why make your life so complicated? Still, chances are nothing will happen and you may as well take the surfers approach to white sharks - ignore and assume it will be the other guy.

i totally agree with you. i got a hot .40 and i would not take that as a bear defense...and the surfers defense don'r work in alyeska...she knows it too. everybody carry's heat in that thar cold...i think the .44 she was talking about with XP+ and big buwitts would be better than that .40 glock...
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby michelle in alaska » Sun May 04, 2008 7:16 am

thanks for your advice, everyone. but remember: i don't ever go out alone in country like that and b) i am NOT the first line of defense. :)))

..not yet, anyways.

...Men and women of the Flag, just for you: http://wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=huntalaska.firearms

also, this happened this past January, over in Kodiak. I would love to know what kind of revolver this guy used...http://www.adn.com/bearattacks/story/251643.html
No Apologies.
michelle in alaska
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Sun May 04, 2008 8:41 am

we don't have royal anything in the USA...see the war of 1776...

You think the Kennedys and Clintons aren't royalty?

Anyway, SRR is a Canuck is he not?
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!