rugged sunglasses

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Postby Aryan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:52 am

waylonwally wrote:just like camera lenses, go for the best that you can afford: zeiss, nikon, some pro canon stuff, but never sigma or tamron trash.

WTF?

I know photographers who do it for a living that are perfectly happy using sigmas. Don't be such a snob.
Aryan
BFCus Regularus

Postby waylonwally » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:29 am

it's only a suggestion, don't take it too seriously.
waylonwally

evil eye

Postby suresolution » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:19 pm

adidas evil eye.

solid, with different glasses and fully ajustable!
suresolution

Re: rugged sunglasses

Postby swordpoint9 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:46 pm

I like my Varnet and there cheaper cousin Bolle I bought 2 pr. of each in 1988 and still have a Pr. each in my safe! Everyday use are my Rayban Wayfarers and my Oakley's of different types!

Hit it with your purse
Hit it with your purse!!!
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

Postby bearanddragon » Sun May 31, 2009 7:44 pm

NATIVES, with replaceable lens. The advantages of NATIVEs are that their models feature one lens per eye. I'm a fan of amber lens too, for some occasions...

www.nativeeyewear.com

Used both them, wiley X's and oakleys. The oakley's performed the worst. The detachable lens on my model kept falling off. Huge fan of disposable cheapies too.
You paying attention? I'm talking... G5, Pecker! That's how you can roll. No more frequent flyer bitch miles for my boy! Oh yeah! Playa... playa! Big dick playa!
bearanddragon
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:17 am

the best glasses are Maui Jims Polarized. The coolest glasses are Wiley X. The problem is you lose them all. Oddly Wal Mart has tactical truck driver glasses for $5 bucks or you can $250. I used to partial to Vuarnet alpine glasses for hard core equatorial glare on the water stuff. Now i just don't wear any sunglasses.

The coolest shades are always Wayfarers or Aviators

RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Kerouac » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:26 am

I have loved and lost Wileys, loved and broken Oakley half-jackets.

If you break or lose things like I do, it's best to buy 'em cheap. At Marshalls/ Ross/ etc. you can pick up name-brand sunglasses at 40%+ off the MSRP. Just bought a pair of New Balance sunglasses last weekend for $14.99.
"Bibamus, moriendum est" -Seneca
(Death's unavoidable; let's drink.)
Kerouac
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:25 am

Kerouac wrote:I have loved and lost Wileys, loved and broken Oakley half-jackets.

If you break or lose things like I do, it's best to buy 'em cheap. At Marshalls/ Ross/ etc. you can pick up name-brand sunglasses at 40%+ off the MSRP. Just bought a pair of New Balance sunglasses last weekend for $14.99.

For sure.
The longest lasting pair I had was a set of $10 Foster Grants from Wal-Mart (where my packs come from as well).....never forget that we started all this civilization nonsense with no more than an idea and a hand-held rock.
One must always resist the slide into becoming a tactisexual.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby RYP » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:37 am

The couple that Tacitsexuals together....

RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby redharen » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:57 pm

coldharvest wrote:The longest lasting pair I had was a set of $10 Foster Grants from Wal-Mart (where my packs come from as well).....never forget that we started all this civilization nonsense with no more than an idea and a hand-held rock.

I too rock the Foster Grants, but from Walgreens rather than Walmart.

coldharvest wrote:One must always resist the slide into becoming a tactisexual.

Also, one must never underestimate the power of retail stores whose names begin with Wal.
redharen
small ax

Postby Chimborazo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:47 am

I'm thinking about getting a pair of Wiley-X AirRage polarized glass for a few reasons.

1. I have a big problem finding sunglasses that fit because I have a pea sized head. These are supposed to fit smaller faces.
2. Polarized lenses are a necessity for me mostly because of fishing.
3. I like the idea of being able to put those seals in them for work in dusty environments.
4. These seem to be fairly durable.
5. I don't mind paying a decent amount because I don't tend to lose sunglasses.
6. I like the strap system.
7. I can wear them while shooting.
8. I'm a freak about protecting my eyes, but haven't found sunglasses that are good for me and that I'll wear a lot. As a result, I have safety glasses everywhere that I can grab as I need them, but obviously they don't offer any sun protection.
9. I just found a pair for $90US.

I'd love to hear of any others that fit these criteria before I pull the trigger on these.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:22 am

mikhaela20 wrote:
janjaweed wrote:I'm looking for more durable ones, as every pair I've had has been broken within 3 months of having them. Can anyone recommend some?

If you are looking for more durable sunglasses, it is the time for you to try the Ray-Ban Sunglasses. These sunglasses are one of my favorite picks for just about any outdoor activity. These are also perfect sunglasses for me as motorcycle enthusiasts.

Except that Ray bans aren't Raybans any more. They are made by an italian company and don't have Bausch and Lomb lenses any more.

Oakleys etc have come and gone but I still regularly use a thirty five year old pair of Rayban Aviators and they are back in fashion !

My other personal choices are the Shateen Squint or the Bundu Blink...
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:34 am

Here is an article I wrote about the only brand of Sunglasses I wear in hard use environments like Iraq - The Wiley-X SG-1 V-Cut Tactical Goggles

http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2010/08/2 ... ld-tested/

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby ''Dr.'' Dave » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:46 am

If you want to look like a tacticaltoolbag, but want a tough fucking pair of glasses, go for a set of Revisions. They come in a variety of 'tactical' colors, too. What ever that means.

http://www.revisioneyewear.com/hellfly.html

My freind was kind enough to step on them in full gear once, and they just got mushed to the side and scratched. And hes a big 'ol boss hoss.

I'll throw in another vote for RayBan Wayfarer...ripoffs. Buy about six pairs and bring 'em with you where ever you go. Trade them for shit, and keep extras. Plus, they look badass, and you wont look like a tacti-douche.

http://www.impostercity.com/ImposterCit ... -4005.html

Either way, total cost ends up at about $120 no matter which route you take.
Fortuna Audax Iuvat!
''Dr.'' Dave

Postby Fenrisco » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:21 pm

I see no reason to buy or wear anything other than American Optics pilot sunglasses; best, simplest, most durable sunglasses I've ever owned or seen. Sunglasses usually last a couple of months for me but I have had these for 4 years and the lenses are totally scratch-free, despite innumerable drops onto everything from city streets to rocks. The only imperfection is that constant exposure to the tropical sun has caused the plastic pieces on the arm bayonets to break out in weird violet sunburst colors. No nonsense shades, available for $50~60 or less, good enough for the USAF and NASA.

Not mine, but similar (never mind the watch):
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!