What's your everyday watch?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: What's your everyday watch?

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:24 am

Just found the answer. It is a radio clock/watch. So, it has to be within signal range. And their signal area is (parts of): North America, Europe, China, Japan.
That's a drag.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Royal » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:57 pm

Detroit_Pierogi wrote:I saw a pamphlet on some Citizen watches that are kept atomic-clock accurate by way of some space-age satellite signal voodoo. I like the idea of a watch keeping accurate time. And atomic-clock accurate would meet that criterion. But I would have to look into it some more. Assuming they are not all-fired expensive, the money wouldn't be the concern.Anyone happen to know if that Citizen claim is bona fide ?

Plus/minus 1 second over 100 years?
But stops when the battery goes flat.

Yeah, fantastic. I take a pack of 200.
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Royal,

They (some) are solar powered with a battery backup. There are 4-5 broadcasting sites that constantly emit a signal - telling the watch exactly what time it is. But if the watch is not in range of one of those signals, then its accuracy is limited by the workings of its mechanical innards. It would be cool if the signal was worldwide, but it isn't.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby Royal » Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:33 pm

Detroit_Pierogi wrote:Royal,

They (some) are solar powered with a battery backup. There are 4-5 broadcasting sites that constantly emit a signal - telling the watch exactly what time it is. But if the watch is not in range of one of those signals, then its accuracy is limited by the workings of its mechanical innards. It would be cool if the signal was worldwide, but it isn't.

Don't mind me Pierogo.
I work with Very high tech, but I'm a traditionalist at heart.

Chesterfield leather furniture, Raffles Singapore, mechanical, automatic watches (Rolex), Signet ring, rear wheel drive 4 door saloon cars with big bonnets, engines & trunks, fountain pens, the list is very long.....but my women must be skinny.
Image We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.— Dr. Herbert Haynes, FAA.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby Caliban » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:58 pm

Detroit_Pierogi wrote:
I saw a pamphlet on some Citizen watches that are kept atomic-clock accurate by way of some space-age satellite signal voodoo. I like the idea of a watch keeping accurate time. And atomic-clock accurate would meet that criterion. But I would have to look into it some more. Assuming they are not all-fired expensive, the money wouldn't be the concern. I just wouldn't want to be flim-flammed into believing the sat signal thing if it's really a bunch of bologna.

Anyone happen to know if that Citizen claim is bona fide ?

Perfect for when your boiled eggs just have to be right
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Royal » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:34 am

Caliban wrote:
Detroit_Pierogi wrote:

Which, by the way, should always have the tops sliced off, not picked.
Now you know that you can go anywhere with confidence.
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby Caliban » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:20 pm

Royal wrote:
Caliban wrote:
Detroit_Pierogi wrote:

You cultured fucker.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Royal » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:47 pm

Caliban wrote:
Royal wrote:
Caliban wrote:
Detroit_Pierogi wrote:

You cultured fucker.

Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby Royal » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:14 pm

..............................................Image
Royal
BABE MAGNET

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:56 pm

I was going to say that the egg quote had been incorrectly attributed to me, but now I like it like it is. Or like they are, rather.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:56 am

I wear a swatch because it's all plastic. Anything with a metal band or clasp has to be expensive or it gives me a rash. Any suggestions on an inexpensive non metal watch that it more resilient than a swatch? Not just a plastic band with a metal buckle but entirely non metal.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Postby Bored » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:51 am

I have a couple, a Longines Flagship, a Rolex Sub and a Citizen Promaster Aqualand w/o the digital shit.

The Citizen is $400, and have been with me all the way. Survived 5 years of SAR-operations, my time in the Navy, and it´s been in every country I´ve been to the last decade. Also been scuba diving with me at 200 ft. I honestly believe this watch can not die.
Bored

Postby swordpoint9 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:37 am

gnaruki wrote:I wear a swatch because it's all plastic. Anything with a metal band or clasp has to be expensive or it gives me a rash. Any suggestions on an inexpensive non metal watch that it more resilient than a swatch? Not just a plastic band with a metal buckle but entirely non metal.

I have the same Timex Watch that I got in 86 in Army Basic , It survived My time in the Marines after . All My Adventures since .It is the Best watch Bro Bought it in the PX for 17$
Hit it with your purse!!!
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

Postby Super Max » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:30 am

G-Shock Mudman, Solar model. It is the only watch that I have not been able to inadvertently kill. My last Mud Man was killed by an amateur battery change after a good 2 year run... If I don't kill it, I figure the solar model is good for another 5 years.
"I myself am a savage, owning no allegiance but to the King of the Cannibals; and ready at any moment to rebel against him."
Super Max

Postby Detroit_Pierogi » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:25 pm

Super Max wrote:G-Shock Mudman, Solar model. It is the only watch that I have not been able to inadvertently kill. My last Mud Man was killed by an amateur battery change after a good 2 year run... If I don't kill it, I figure the solar model is good for another 5 years.

Barring Mayan intervention.
Detroit_Pierogi
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!