best AK47

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

best AK47

Postby soulohio » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:45 pm

i was just out in the desert with some buds and we were shooting for about three hours...i am now a confirmed AK47 man...what would you recommend for an AK47 purchase? he has a Saiga (sp?) made in Russkie...his AK seemed fine and with the internal laser optics, 20 inch barrel and sporter stock he had $500 wrapped up in the piece....so let's just say that price is no object (well, it is) but $400 is a good point to start...and I definately would look at milled recievers too...i ain't going to war but quality is a good thing, no?
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby yorick » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:25 am

Not a Kalisnikov but FN-FAL kits were available from Century Arms just a year ago, probly sold out by now. Get one in 7.62:

(:=
yorick
malum discordiae

Postby janjaweed » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:08 am

I'd go for a FAL but if its an AK you're after go for a VEPR.
The nose causes the tail.
janjaweed
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesTheAdventurer » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:59 am

Supposedly the Polish AK’s are the best

Muffins
JamesTheAdventurer
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:30 am

Actually, if you want an AK action, the SIG 55X series is the best. SIG USA is about to release a domestically produced Sig rifle they are calling the 556. Has a lot of AR-15 furniture on it, but they are saying they are going to offer original 550/1/2 furniture on it also.

The Saigas are very good guns, and a lot of people have done compliance parts conversions on them. I still want to get a Saiga-12.

I have a Yugo underfolder built on a Century receiver, which is supposedly one of the more accurate AK's, but if that's the case I'd hate to shoot an inaccurate one. With iron sites on a bench rest I was holding 4-5 inch groups at 50 yards, and the trigger slap was pretty nasty. Started bruising the trigger finger after only a few tens of rounds. One of my friends who is more of an AK aficianado than me said that's from the Century receiver tho, other AK's don't have that problem.

Why a milled receiver btw? The original AK-47 was milled, but the Russians went with a stamped receiver with the AKM.

Personally, I prefer the AR.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:46 am

The Chinese type 56 with the dainty fold-away bayonet is a good one. I got hold of a CZ58 in Iraq, which looks identical to the original AK but has different working parts entirely, fired beautifully.

If I had a choice I'd go for the pocket rocket AKSU 74, good to use from a vehicle. I tried local made chopped down AK47's in Iraq, but without the muzzle attachment that the 74 has I kept getting stoppages on the range - it looked good but shot shit. Would have loved to own a proper smaller calibre AKSU

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby roadkill » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:57 pm

we're speaking of the semi-auto akm sort, right ?

is it realistic to find a hungarian made "kassnar" FEG SA85 for that price in the us ? if so, buy it.
roadkill
BFCus Regularus

Postby soulohio » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:49 pm

..after reading these posts and doing a bit of research, i see that a milled receiver might not only be unnecessary but in the case of the original AK47, it made the gun less accurate than the AKM with the stamped receiver. I shot about 300 rounds through the Saiga at 50-60 yards and was hitting clay pidgeons *laying on the berms of the firing range*. No wild groups. But of course, I was shooting in semi-auto. The gun still had the original iron sights but also had the side strap-on internal laser optics where it looks like you are looking at a laser dot on a magnifying glass. I really dig that sighting system. We were shooting Wolf (russkie) steel jacketed ammo...nothing special and dirt cheap. I went muj style and fired a few clips from the hip and after a few sighting shots, i was busting clay pidgeons at 30-40 yards and firng at a faster rate.

the bushmaster .223 got jammed up on that Wolf ammo..but the brass went thru fine. nice gun and accurate...i dunno...that Saiga lets you know that the projectile will always get to the end of the barrel and beyond...and i fired that AK47 until the barrel would cook an egg and it still fed perfectly and shot good groups. Was wai easier to clean than the M1's we took.

By the way, if you know anybody in Las Vegas that is a member of that big firing range...make it a point to go. it's open 24 hours and has like 12 ranges including bianchi plates and silhouettes. gotta bring your own weapons.

keep the suggestions coming...
where are you going? why don't you walk the wheel with us? what is the matter my american friend? what has upset you?
soulohio
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesTheAdventurer » Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:15 am

That is one of my favorite things about the AK’s, you can feed them the worst shit ammo without any problems, clean the whole rifle with a rag and a little gasoline and no-problemo…

Muffins
JamesTheAdventurer
BFCus Regularus

Postby JOHN O » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:08 am

Come check us out, http://www.akforum.net

Staff Member,www.theakforum.net ~ retired
JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Postby QzarBaron » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:43 pm

That looks like a good site John O... good information there and btw is that your Kalash? it looks very nice.
You Look Like I need a Drink
QzarBaron
BFCus Regularus

Postby JOHN O » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:23 am

QzarBaron wrote:That looks like a good site John O... good information there and btw is that your Kalash? it looks very nice.
Thanks,these are a few of mine.
JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Postby QzarBaron » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:20 pm

JOHN O wrote:
QzarBaron wrote:That looks like a good site John O... good information there and btw is that your Kalash? it looks very nice.
Thanks,these are a few of mine.

How many do you own?
You Look Like I need a Drink
QzarBaron
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesTheAdventurer » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:14 am

Wow, where did you get the spring loaded knife from, they are difficult to find.

And what’s up with the French fag-grenades?

What country are you in?

Muffins
JamesTheAdventurer
BFCus Regularus

Postby JOHN O » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:27 am

JamesTheAdventurer wrote:Wow, where did you get the spring loaded knife from, they are difficult to find.

And what’s up with the French fag-grenades?

What country are you in?
I picked up the knife back in the 80s,the grenades are a Soviet F1,Viet Cong repro and there are a few Checz Flares pictured.

I've been collecting Eastern Bloc stuff for several years and I've made some good contacts throughout the World,I'm in the USA.

QzarBaron,I have several :)

http://www.akforum.net
JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!