Felony Free and Looking for a gun.....

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Felony Free and Looking for a gun.....

Postby coolisacolor » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:06 am

So I am in the market for a handgun. Concealable yet effective. Cost is only a concern if it exceeds the cost of my Volvo (Hey, $2000 for a Volvo in that condition is one hell of a deal) So the question is thus: revolver or semi-auto? brand preference? 9mm or 45.? etc... suggestions from the forum folk are always greatly appreciated.

thanks again dangerous place traveling people
Soon you'll be ashes or bones. A mere name at most--and even that is just a sound, an echo. The things we want in life are empty, stale, trivial. --Marcu Aurelius

Editor at Large:
www.coldtrackdays.com
coolisacolor

Postby Chimborazo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:46 am

"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:14 am

cool,

Check out my thread about my next gun. The kel-tec pf9 is exactly what you described.

As for revolvers, that's someone else's area of interest.

I really enjoy shooting both handguns and long guns. The pf9 is a fighting pistol, plain and simple and it's a pocket 9 with a very good (so far) reputation. It's one of the few (if only) pocket guns with a light rail so you can see what you're aiming at during the nighttime hours as well.

...However, there is hundreds of different models out there, so try and get your hands on a few guns to shoot a local range (or buy a buyers guide) and see what features you like and pick one.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby coolisacolor » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:23 pm

Chimborazo---

A friend carries a .357 ruger revolver, that he keeps +P's in for self defense. I have fired it a few times and appears that it would do the trick, much like most handguns calibered .38 and up... Guess I was just looking to hear favorites from the board of dangerour people. Thanks for the link to the other posts, they were helpful. I have fired a 9mm Glock 19 and liked the carry weight as well as the ease of use. The Sig Sauer .357 round (in the P226 I believe) is a high velocity round that has huge stopping power, again, a friend carries and it would do the trick as well. As time goes on, I find myself returning to the security of a revolver, which provides fewer rounds, yet more reliability. "revolvers, cuz automatics jam at the wrong time" In an urban situation, t-shirt or button down dress shirt, light jacket or winter overcoat, a revolver seems easily concealed and can provide enough fire to make an escape or stop the on coming attack....
Soon you'll be ashes or bones. A mere name at most--and even that is just a sound, an echo. The things we want in life are empty, stale, trivial. --Marcu Aurelius

Editor at Large:
www.coldtrackdays.com
coolisacolor

Postby Chimborazo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:27 pm

Cool. I only posted those links because I thought those would give you a lot of that...hope they helped. My favorite two concealable handguns for the two legged predator are the S&W 686 .357 or the Sig P229 9mm. That being said, I usually carry a Glock 19 because I no longer have access to the Sig.

Hopefully more will chime in.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:53 pm

Chimborazo wrote:Hopefully more will chime in.

Seriously?
A cheap 9mm that you can press against buddy's head&chest and unload.
Then when you divest yourself of it you are not sad 'cause it's a nice roscoe.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Chimborazo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:51 pm

coldharvest wrote:

Seriously?

My choice for that used to be a Makarov. Not too expensive and reliable enough to bet my life on. Either that or a police trade-in .38. Used to be able to pick them up around here for $110 or so.
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:53 pm

By the way coolisacolor, the reason I told you to ask more questions and pointed you to those threads is that you didn't say what the main purpose for that gun would be. For starters, are you looking for a defensive handgun for hikes in the woods? Hikes in Detroit? Offensive purposes?
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:53 pm

Chimborazo wrote:
coldharvest wrote:

Seriously?

My choice for that used to be a Makarov. Not too expensive and reliable enough to bet my life on. Either that or a police trade-in .38. Used to be able to pick them up around here for $110 or so.

bingo....hey Man, let's do some crimes.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby nowonmai » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:58 pm

586. 686 is for pimps.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby coolisacolor » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:08 pm

Self defense I suppose is the main purpose.... I also just beat a case that may have put my gun ownership in jeopardy, so I am actually just looking to brandish my new weapon and maybe have a few menacing charges pulled against me, now that I am a "free" man and all...haha ok maybe not. I have found there to be little else in this country more corrupt that the judicial system. Self defense, wasting money at the gun range, scaring off the ganster gangsters that roam my neighborhood, typical city dweller shit...

Editor at Large:
www.coldtrackdays.com
coolisacolor

Postby coldharvest » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:47 pm

self defense
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Woodsman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:20 pm

coldharvest wrote:

Seriously?

The kel-tec is around $300. They don't have the best rep for a mgfr. of fine guns, but it's lighter and smaller than the revolver, holds a few more rounds (9mm), and I have not read any bad reviews of this particular gun yet - other than from sissies who say it hurts their pussy when they fire it.

It's got a locked breach, so velocities are higher than one would expect from a 3" ish barrel.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:53 pm

coldharvest wrote:
Chimborazo wrote:
coldharvest wrote:

Seriously?

Okay, but I'm only game if I can chase the dragon before and after each crime (when and where convenient).
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:08 pm

Chimborazo wrote:
coldharvest wrote:
Chimborazo wrote:
coldharvest wrote:

Seriously?

Okay, but I'm only game if I can chase the dragon before and after each crime (when and where convenient).

It wouldn't be a proper night out if we didn't.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!