Guns of Gandamack

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Guns of Gandamack

Postby flipflop » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:57 pm

The Gandamack Lodge in Kabul has a fine display of 19th/early 20th century rifles, collected by Peter Jouvenal, the famous Frontline TV news cameraman who now owns the place. I took this photo today, it's a cool place with lots of silly Great Game references, down to the Harry Flashman embossed china teacups on the lawn and that "Our Man in Kabul" feel to the place

Well worth a visit for any gun enthusiasts who are lucky enough to find themselves in Kabul

This second photo isn't mine, but I like it anyway

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby OneLungMcClung » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:56 pm

That is really cool! thanks ^_^
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby tonelar » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:23 pm

Wow... There's always something to be said for historic firearms.
What a great find.
Thanx
tonelar

Postby crotalus01 » Mon May 05, 2008 11:06 pm

I saw a lot of those for sale around Chicken Street but never even asked the price since I figured I would never be able to get one back into the states. Also got offered a full auto Russian AK47 for $500 but I knew I couldn't get that one back....still thought about getting it and bringing back just the trigger pack with sear but better judgement prevailed...
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby armsdealer » Wed May 07, 2008 5:15 am

I stayed at the Gandamack a couple times; though I hear it's moved in the last 2 years. Great place, good food, and friendly staff - glad to hear it's still around.
armsdealer
BFCus Regularus

Postby flipflop » Tue May 13, 2008 8:11 am

I've discovered it's quite easy to pick up old rifles in any market here in Kabul.

A mate has bought two for his wall back home and is allowed to send them home by DHL if they are over a hundred years old - I might have a closer look at some myself, but only when I get fed up here and return home for good - they make great souvenirs

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Postby SRR » Tue May 13, 2008 8:14 am

I was looking at those enfields in Kabul and while I'm no expert they seemed pretty weak to me, possibly fake, not something I'd fire on a regular basis. Maybe to hang on the wall, but range-ready antique rifles didn't seem available on Chicken Street.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby crotalus01 » Tue May 13, 2008 10:03 pm

I never saw any I thought were fake but almost all the ones I saw I would want serious protective gear before I even thought about trying to fire one...Perhaps there is a proliferation of fake ones now, I was there in '03.
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed May 14, 2008 8:54 am

Any rifle that is over 100 years old may be mail ordered (US law only) – I didn’t know that applied to importing them also – Sweet!

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby flipflop » Wed May 14, 2008 7:18 pm

I don't think the guns are serviceable and are de-commissioned, but they look and feel like the real McCoy - I'm definitely picking up a couple or a few before I get home from Afghan. The good ones I saw were on an ISAF base which permits local sellers to pitch a Friday market for expats

Cheers
flipflop
Cuntus Maximus

Re: Guns of Gandamack

Postby Slam » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:11 pm

flipflip, did you see the weapons in the antique shops on Chicken Street? They have a fine assortment of 19th century British pistols and rifles. I heard that there is an awful lot of imitations floating around Afghanistan though.
Slam
BFCus Regularus

Re:

Postby crotalus01 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:37 am

flipflop wrote:I don't think the guns are serviceable and are de-commissioned, but they look and feel like the real McCoy - I'm definitely picking up a couple or a few before I get home from Afghan. The good ones I saw were on an ISAF base which permits local sellers to pitch a Friday market for expats

Cheers

Not about guns but you can get some Hella deals on silver, emeralds, amethysts, lapis lazule, rubies, and sapphires. If you walk Chicken St and turn into the small courtyard of shops you can get some great deals. - Best directions I \can give.....
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Re: Re:

Postby coldharvest » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:00 am

crotalus01 wrote:
flipflop wrote:I don't think the guns are serviceable and are de-commissioned, but they look and feel like the real McCoy - I'm definitely picking up a couple or a few before I get home from Afghan. The good ones I saw were on an ISAF base which permits local sellers to pitch a Friday market for expats

Cheers

Not about guns but you can get some Hella deals on silver, emeralds, amethysts, lapis lazule, rubies, and sapphires. If you walk Chicken St and turn into the small courtyard of shops you can get some great deals. - Best directions I \can give.....

Right on Crotalus.
Quori Shamsullah is who you ask for on Chicken Street, ask to see his Panjshir emeralds because they are superb.
The thing about the rifles is the old ones are often re-bored and that drops the market value way down.....but it'll still look tits over the mantle either way.
I've got a list of the armoury marks and matching serial numbers or just take them to Peter....better yet just buy some off him.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby RYP » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:45 pm

Can't see photos... Peter has a private collection as well and makes big bank from auctions in the UK. He has folks scrounging Pakistan (where his toys actually come from) for cool old stuff, some of it wrapped in the original wax paper. back in 90's Peter and I used to stop people and offer them money for their old British powder guns. They were thrilled because they could buy an RPG and go bird hunting...
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Jimmy S » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:52 am

When I was in Kabulshit, the Gandamack was the place to get on the swill before heading back out to the field office. While the lobby had a good variety of old Brit guns for sale, the downstairs bar was a veritable treasure trove of military curious including Lewis and Ben guns, M1 carbine, Thompsons, Russian blurp’s , Carl Gustavs, even a MG 34 on a tripod!!! I know my mum saidneve guns and beer don't mix, but she wasn't around to tell me off! Beer+a group of ex army lads= mirth before closing time!

Not sure what the go is now with chicken street but when I first landed there it was a gun enthusiasts wet dream and I used to spend a few hours down there checking out the wares. Sure there was a lot of Khyber pass copies ( mostly Enfield’s and Martinis) but if you knew what y were looking for, ha d a smick about you and could handle 'spirited' Afghan negotiations, you could find some good collectables. Some of the better gats I found were a okay M1898 Winchester lever action (sorry forget which caliber) a model 5 Remington auto in .35 cal, a superb Winchester M94 in 30/30 ( hex barrel, he wanted $1200+ for it, I reckoned $300 would have been a good buy) There were also a few K98’s and French Bertiers (spelling?) and I think I evn saw a sharps one day. I ended up buying a Canadian Ross M1910 mk3 for a wall hanger. Reportedly there was a Luger for sale with the same bloke who had the 30/30 but I don’t think he trusted me enough to unearth it. ( pistols were 'controlled') Most of the so-called ‘Camel Guns’ were junk, and you’d have to be suspect about and Lee Enfield as they’re fairly easy to copy, but something complicated like the Ross was kosher.

would love to know how to get the Ross ut of the country (Oz) any sugestions?
Jimmy S

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!