Communicating in the middle of nowhere/sat phones?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Communicating in the middle of nowhere/sat phones?

Postby ktrout » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:09 pm

I'm planning on making a solitary unsupported trip across the US this summer by bicycle.
Since there are broad areas where GSM service is unavailable I was thinking of renting a satellite phone for a few hundred bucks.
A few minutes of research says that the new Iridium network is the best bet.
HAM radio is another option I was considering.
Any experience people can relay about this?
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Mikethehack » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:50 pm

That is news to me.
I would have thought that almost everywhere in the US would have some sort of cellular coverage. Why not take a tri-band phone for where there is no GSM coverage.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby redharen » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:05 pm

Man, that just seems like a really expensive option...I'd only do it if money were absolutely not an issue. Seems like if you're in a dead zone, half an hour of riding would get you back in normal cell phone coverage.

I mean, M-A did her long bike trip all over the place -- did she bother with a sat phone? On my last walking trip in the desert, I had several days with no signal. I guess I probably wouldn't be so worried about it.

You could just take a cell phone and hedge your bets old-school -- with a handheld CB radio.
redharen
small ax

Postby kylie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:32 pm

I would have thought that almost everywhere in the US would have some sort of cellular coverage.

The eastern half of Montana and Wyoming are really bad for cell service, so is the northwestern part of N. Dakota. No FM radio stations either. You won't have to much problem more to the south though. When I drove across that way I had cell service almost the whole way.
Ky
kylie
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:54 pm

I'm kind of in the same opinion, but I have family and friends who are skeerd for me. Personally I'd just take some extra food and water for a few days and go for it. Sixty year old men do this by themselves for Christ's sake...
My plan was to take Highway 50 to Provo, then Highway 40 to Fort Collins.
After that, there's not a whole lot to worry about.
Besides acquiring the fitness level to ride a loaded bicycle 100 miles day after day. I have two months to do that in, though.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby redharen » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:55 pm

I'd let my concerned folks pay for the phone, then. :)

Best of luck and let us know how the trip goes.
redharen
small ax

Postby ktrout » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:07 pm

Yeah, jeez, there was a section of road my Dad wouldn't ride down the last time he was here because it was too narrow.
I basically ride it every day.
He hasn't seen the roads I break 50mph on.
Non-riders are such pussies about cycling. People are really afraid of the unfamiliar.
At least this is a good motivator to drop some pounds.
There's a site called Crazy Guy On a Bike where people put ride journals on and I'll start one once the logistics are more figured out.
I have to go ride now...
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:46 pm

Its actually not a bad idea Ktrout. The weather can turn quickly in those areas and it will always get shitty when your in a place with no cell coverage. Its a nice insurance policy and it will make your kin breathe a bit easier.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby marie-angelique » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:03 am

it never hurts to have a back up. you don't ever have to use the thing unless things go terribly wrong.

my family and friends are used to me disappearing for a month or so, but i can see if you've got a nervous person in your life, it might make it easier to get away.

my mom used to give me quarters for payphones when i was heading into the woods as a munchkin. i used to laugh and wonder which tree to stick it in. but hey, it made her feel better and it made it easier for her to let go.

please send a link to your blog eh? sounds like a fun trip :)
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby RAH » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:35 am

Way way back when, I did the BikeCentennial solo from Astoria, Oregon to Yorktown VA, diverted a bit. No real problems. Had a beer chucked at me in Missouri, chased by some mean dogs there too. In Pueblo Colorado a crazy person punctured both my tires, no big deal. Maybe some side swipping coal trucks in Eastern Kentucky especially (and logging ones in Idaho or thereabouts). I think bees got me once too. But most folks you run into are disarmed a bit if the stranger rolls in on a bicycle. Kinda hard for you to get away. Other then that once you build up the fitness, not hard to do. After a week or so you get into routine about riding hours, food, and finding places to stay. Made maybe a few phone calls during the trip, which took 9 weeks. I think some people, if they wanted, did the old truckers code of maybe person to person calls (giving a fake destination name which would be rejected, hence no payment) as a way of keeping in touch regularly if they wanted. Ya never know what to expect but if I did it again I would only remember to get some spray for the dogs. Once I had that, clear sailing. I was more worried about a bunch of spokes breaking, which luckily didn't happen.
RAH
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:40 am

yeah, dogs :(

these folks i met in pakistan swore by something they called a Dog Dazer, which sends out a noise that makes them go away.

i just squirt water at them or if it gets really bad hit them with my pump. but there were times i got chased and i was really tired and didn't feel like expending the energy and wished i had such a device....
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby ktrout » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:48 am

RAH wrote: Made maybe a few phone calls during the trip, which took 9 weeks. I think some people, if they wanted, did the old truckers code of maybe person to person calls (giving a fake destination name which would be rejected, hence no payment) as a way of keeping in touch regularly if they wanted. .

Oh, I have so many rollover minutes on my cell phone it isn't even funny.
Cell phones changed things fast. I have even used Google Maps on my phone to map routes now.
I'd probably be inclined to offer usage of the speaker phone (you talk, I hold the phone) to any other leather/rubber tramps I came across.
Dog spray, yes. I imagine it works well on jacked rednecks too.
There are enough empty areas where a sat phone might come in handy.
I actually did the first day of the trip once last year (San Jose=>Sacramento) to pick up a car. At least I know where to spend the first night. A friend lives there.
A reasonably clean traveler on a bike would probably be pretty disarming.
Can anyone sell me some DP stickers? The only thing I see in the store is 50 count and I would only need a few.
I'm going to strongly consider renting a sat phone.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:23 pm

I know a guy with a satphone, but he uses it from the middle of the Amazon. I mean, literally the middle of the Amazon. Anyway, regular cell phone would be enough, if not overkill.

Hardly any dead zones in the U.S. unless you're in very rural areas. My work surrounds those areas and nowdays even I have coverage in most places.

Have fun & ride safe.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:29 pm

you are probably right about the cell phone woodsy. but who knows. i just got virgin mobile and it doesn't even work in my apartment.

do they even make a portable ham radio?

you could pm svizzerams about those DP stickers. i think she has some :)

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby nowonmai » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:54 pm

There's plenty of portable HF radios about. When you set camp all you do is put up your antenna and you can speak to the world - as an added bonus once you have provided proof of life to your Mum you can then settle in to an evening listening to the BBC world service.

Get stuck into this lot.

http://hfpack.com/

Its starts "Howdy gang, planning for the next HFpack Forum at Pacificon 2008 has already begun." I can't hardly wait.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!