Armchair Gear.

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Armchair Gear.

Postby Kurt » Wed May 14, 2008 3:32 am

I have come to accept the fact that I am about as active as FDR.

So I am debating getting rid of of old cat-shredded office chair for something else that doesn't cause bed-sores (or chair sores).

Right now for a desk I use a series of folding tables. They work pretty well but I think they are causing papers to eventually end up on the floor. So perhaps a computer desk.

Most computer desks suck. They are made for people who use computers but not five at a time....So I was considering this:

http://www.coolerguys.com/840556060857.html

Expensive...yes. But it weighs hardly anything and can actually be integrated into the computer.

But , I have no idea if a $2500 desk is going to be worth replace a $40 folding table.

So....new desk or old tables?

What chairs do you recomend?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby Ultra Swain » Wed May 14, 2008 3:41 am

the desk is fine, but it needs a truss to mount multiple 30" lcd displays. Dude, putting monitors on your desktop is so 2005. oh yeah and the gotta strip all the paint off.

p.s. $2600! really?
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby redharen » Wed May 14, 2008 3:59 am

I don't know -- during my meteoric rise through the ranks of the company where I work, I got promoted from computer desk to computer desk, and I didn't like any of them. To me, the only thing that made them better than the $40.00 plastic Lifetime folding table was that they had drawers where I could keep my pens and notepads and dart guns.

I ended up inheriting the desks of my superiors who had often chosen their office furniture as much for its looks as its functionality. The biggest desk was way too big -- I could hardly reach stuff at the far front end, and all that real estate invited clutter.

Do you have a multiple-monitor setup or do you actually have five separate computers? Seems like if you have a jury-rigged setup that works, I'd stick with it, but those are just my thoughts...
redharen
small ax

Postby Kurt » Wed May 14, 2008 7:39 am

Ultra Swain wrote:the desk is fine, but it needs a truss to mount multiple 30" lcd displays. Dude, putting monitors on your desktop is so 2005. oh yeah and the gotta strip all the paint off.

p.s. $2600! really?

Thats the thing....$2600.

But unlike people who have space to live in, my room is like my work shed. So I was contemplating ...at age 40...of having it look less like a grad students room and more like the room of a geek with $2600 to spend on a desk.

But the $40 dollar table is winning on the practicality level.

And if I wanted to do my computing in such a way that would cause me to vomit from motion sickness I would get this set up.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=576
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby marie-angelique » Wed May 14, 2008 1:11 pm

6 moniters????
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Kurt » Wed May 14, 2008 7:58 pm

Frugality wins over fashion in the Kurt Kave.

I keep the perfectly good 7 year old Viewsonic monitor and the $40 table.

But I will still get an office chair. I am considering the leather and over-stuffed variety since my cats seem to have an aversion to clawing leather.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby svizzerams » Thu May 15, 2008 1:13 am

Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby marie-angelique » Thu May 15, 2008 9:10 pm

Kurt wrote:Frugality wins over fashion in the Kurt Kave.

I keep the perfectly good 7 year old Viewsonic monitor and the $40 table.

But I will still get an office chair. I am considering the leather and over-stuffed variety since my cats seem to have an aversion to clawing leather.

what, it's got all of 8 pixels??

i would think cats would dig leather, but then all that fur doesn't stick to it...so maybe it frusterates them...
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Kurt » Thu May 15, 2008 9:58 pm

The monitor kicks ass. It is something like 2048 X 1600 resolution. CRT monitors are all pretty much stuck in the year 2001 except for their price.

Before that one I had a Viewsonic 4E 15" monitor from 1993 that I found in the trash. It had a max resolution of 800X600 and I used it off and on until 2003 since any obscure operating system like Plan 9 OS (probably the best operating system in the world but one that nothing runs on unless you write it yourself) would run on it.

My monitor is also big enough for cats to sleep on. One finds it so relaxing that she throws up inside of the vents and the thing keeps on running with lord-knows-what growing inside of it.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby shivers » Thu May 15, 2008 10:41 pm

How's the Barbie keyboard holding up?
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby SRR » Thu May 15, 2008 11:51 pm

marie-angelique wrote:6 moniters????

I'm picturing 18 monitors. 3 of those getups angled hexagon-like.

Even better, get a tall stool and have 54 monitors, half-spherical like. It would take hours for you to find your mouse cursor.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Postby marie-angelique » Fri May 16, 2008 2:49 am

Kurt wrote:The monitor kicks ass. It is something like 2048 X 1600 resolution. CRT monitors are all pretty much stuck in the year 2001 except for their price.

Before that one I had a Viewsonic 4E 15" monitor from 1993 that I found in the trash. It had a max resolution of 800X600 and I used it off and on until 2003 since any obscure operating system like Plan 9 OS (probably the best operating system in the world but one that nothing runs on unless you write it yourself) would run on it.

My monitor is also big enough for cats to sleep on. One finds it so relaxing that she throws up inside of the vents and the thing keeps on running with lord-knows-what growing inside of it.

Plan 9 from outer space???

are we gonna get pictures of this setup, including barbie keyboard and cat vomit moniter or do i just have to imagine it all....?

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri May 16, 2008 9:34 am

Dude – get a girlfriend – lol

I think you should go with a wooden dining room table – lots of room and it will look nicer

P.S. You should see my “nerd room”, it looks like a Gizmodo/tactical gear store
~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Kurt » Fri May 16, 2008 3:20 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:Dude – get a girlfriend – lol

I think you should go with a wooden dining room table – lots of room and it will look nicer

P.S. You should see my “nerd room”, it looks like a Gizmodo/tactical gear store
~JITW

Got a girlfriend. She gave me a replacement for my "Barbie" keyboard this Christmas with this Japanese cartoon cat keyboard (not Hello Kitty).

But I do like your dining table suggestion James.

As far as multiple monitors goes, I work with a system that has 8 (16 if you count the redundant ones) computers hosting an 88 screen display that is about 200 wide and in a non-radical horseshoe shape. In 2006 when it was not being used to monitor trains we brought up the world cup on it. In a few years I will likely get a contract to set up a display that contains over 300 screens and is the size of a football field lengthwise.
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!