Guns for Movies Ending Up On Street,

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Guns for Movies Ending Up On Street,

Postby RYP » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:37 pm

Guns for movies ending up on street, report says

Jun 09, 2008 04:30 AM
Jim Bronskill
The Canadian Press

OTTAWA–Guns intended for make-believe action on the silver screen are winding up in the hands of real-life criminals because of a "loophole" in Canadian laws, says an RCMP intelligence report.

Some firearms dealers in British Columbia have taken advantage of movie production companies filming in various Canadian locations, says the newly declassified report on trends in gun trafficking and smuggling.

Special permits allow these companies to legally buy firearms in bulk internationally and import them to Canada for use on their movie sets. The gun dealers act as middlemen between the foreign suppliers and the production companies to help import the firearms.

"In this process, these dealers have exploited a loophole in the Canadian firearms legislation, which specifies that firearms must be registered as soon as practicable," says the November 2007 report, obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

"However, there is no exact time frame defined, allowing the dealers to circumvent the registration process and keep the firearms. Frequently, these firearms end up on the streets of Canada after being sold in illicit markets."

In December 2006, a Burnaby, B.C., company with a licence to import guns for use in the film industry was busted for alleged illegal distribution of deadly submachine guns. Last year, police traced two assault rifles used in a January 2007 shootout in Richmond, B.C., to a B.C. firm with a movie import licence.

Mountie spokesperson Sgt. Nathalie Deschenes said firms licensed to supply firearms to the movie industry are not allowed to sell or otherwise transfer these guns to any individual or business.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Re: Guns for Movies Ending Up On Street,

Postby Hitoru » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:07 pm

illegal distribution of "deadly" submachine guns, is that something like "muderous" assault rifles ?
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Woodsman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:36 pm

Yeah, submachine guns are equally as "deadly" as beanie babies.

It's the person behind the trigger that is deadly. What a piece of shit journo.

Besides that, I'm fairly certain hollywood uses special non-firearm guns to make movies with, not real guns - that would be stoopid.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby crotalus01 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:58 am

Actually it depends on the budget of the film. Large budget films tend to use real guns with blanks for the realism - thats how Brandon Lee got killed. They were using real guns with blanks, there was a closeup shot of the gun loaded so they used a real gun with a bullet without primer for that shot. When they removed the non-primed bullet, the head of the bullet stuck in the chamber and noone noticed. Then they put in the blank and fired it while shooting the next scene. The result was the "blank" acted as an active shell since the head of the bullet was there to act as a projectile.
I hope that makes sense as I am using laymans terms which is probably a mistake on a gun specific forum.
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Hitoru » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:35 am

That makes sense sir, I was hoping someone else would explain it as I was feeling too lazy to do it.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby OneLungMcClung » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:42 pm

crotalus01 wrote:Actually it depends on the budget of the film. Large budget films tend to use real guns with blanks for the realism - thats how Brandon Lee got killed. They were using real guns with blanks, there was a closeup shot of the gun loaded so they used a real gun with a bullet without primer for that shot. When they removed the non-primed bullet, the head of the bullet stuck in the chamber and noone noticed. Then they put in the blank and fired it while shooting the next scene. The result was the "blank" acted as an active shell since the head of the bullet was there to act as a projectile.
I hope that makes sense as I am using laymans terms which is probably a mistake on a gun specific forum.

Spot on.

That is all.
Money Talks...
OneLungMcClung
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:52 pm

Urban and Federal Canada have lost their fucking minds on gun control.
The only reason I'd want to own a rifle in Canada is because of our crazy asshole politicians.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby crotalus01 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:31 am

In that case, Mr. Rahman, I highly recommend a Drugonov with a Trijicon scope/red dot.
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby coldharvest » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:37 am

crotalus01 wrote:In that case, Mr. Rahman, I highly recommend a Drugonov with a Trijicon scope/red dot.

Duly noted.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!