AK Parts Kits

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

AK Parts Kits

Postby Hitoru » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:04 pm

Does anyone else build semi-autos from a parts kits ? I built my AMD-65 for under $250 on a locally made receiver with Tapco compliance parts.http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2086/1934371885_f3d70cbaa4_b.jpg (not counting duracoat) Now less desirable Romy kits in poor condition are $250. http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/parts.cgi?read=227857

I have one Romy kit in good condition left and plan on making a SBR out of it. (With ATF approval) http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f53201.pdf
It seems the days of cheap kits are history since the ATF banned the importation of barrels of non-sporting firearms.

If anyone comes across any AK parts kits for under $100 please let me know.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Re: AK Parts Kits

Postby JOHN O » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:47 pm

Good luck finding kits for under 100.00, you're lucky to find them under 200.00 these days.

I keep hearing rumors of a shipment of AK 74 kits comming in soon, no idea about price.
Staff Member,www.theakforum.net ~ retired
JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:25 pm

JOHN O wrote:Good luck finding kits for under 100.00, you're lucky to find them under 200.00 these days.

You can blame china for that one – they are pushing the price of raw steel through the roof

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby jakeleg » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:28 pm

I keep hearing rumors of a shipment of AK 74 kits comming in soon, no idea about price.

Without the barrel? US made barrels available yet?
jakeleg
BFCus Regularus

Postby GUNSLINGER67 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:07 am

As I understood it, the kits coming into the US now are with a chopped barrel.
I had bought a few in the past for 80-100 bucks , and still have three left (sorry not for sale)

I had been sitting on two G3 kits and a nice FN FAL kit for future builds ,but found out about the changes in importation rules and dumped them at a 400% profit.....it took all of 36 hours.( I saw no reason to hang onto them , I have no time left to build them anymore)

Ill build the AKs someday or use them for spare parts for the 4 I have already.

The $99 AK kit days are gone along with the $189 cases of 308 and $100 cases of 7.62x39.
GUERRILLA MACHINIST

...have tools...will travel
GUNSLINGER67

Postby JOHN O » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:47 am

There are still kits out there, not cheap, but still cheaper to build than buy.

I've been working on an AK Pistol, off and on for several Months, while looking around at the various projects I have to complete I decided its time to finish my pistol project.

Hungarian AMD 65 kit, Nodak Spud reciever with Yugo grip and modified Romanian Laminated furniture. I still need to finish it, but here's where I got to yesterday.

JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:30 am

That's very nice, what kind of FCG are you using ? The receiver is still in the green ?

I'm about to file to make a SBR with my last kit I've been sitting on.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby JOHN O » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:49 am

I'm using the original Hungarian FCG, I modified the disconnector. 922 does not apply to Pistols.
JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:09 am

Right on, that's funny. I automatically thought 922.

And I meant was the receiver in the white, are you painting it or gunna parkerize it ?
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby JOHN O » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:36 am

The reciever is case hardened, I'll be using Moly Resin for the final finish. Its durable and matches the original finish.
JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Postby reena » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:58 am

As I understand it, it's everything EXCEPT the receiver - the receiver being the only part classified as a firearm - so it's perfectly legal to buy the kit and have it shipped directly to you. With an inexpensive $80 receiver, plus transfer fees to FFL and shipping, the theory is that you can build a better AK for a lot less than the minimum $ for a complete gun from a dealer."Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons".
-----------------------
Reena

Guaranteed ROI
reena

Postby JOHN O » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:45 am

reena wrote:As I understand it, it's everything EXCEPT the receiver - the receiver being the only part classified as a firearm - so it's perfectly legal to buy the kit and have it shipped directly to you. With an inexpensive $80 receiver, plus transfer fees to FFL and shipping, the theory is that you can build a better AK for a lot less than the minimum $ for a complete gun from a dealer."Freedom is not defined by safety. Freedom is defined by the ability of citizens to live without government interference. Liberty has meaning only if we still believe in it when terrible things happen and a false government security blanket beckons".
-----------------------
Reena

Guaranteed ROI

Depending on where you live, some States still have "Ban" laws.

To answer your question, pretty much. Buy the kit, the reciever is either completely gone or the center section has been cut out. Buy a reciever, 80.00-125.00 or more for some. Have it built by a competent Smith, this alone can cost 150.00-350.00 +. The end result is something you sourced the parts and components for, had built to your expectations and an AK to be proud of.
JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:22 am

Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby GUNSLINGER67 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:00 am

Yeah......the days of $100 AK kits w/barrels are long gone.( Ive still got three kits stashed away .)

I built one Polish underfolder ( screw build) and was verry happy with it. Had about $275 into it and got offered $600 ............I couldnt pass it up.
GUERRILLA MACHINIST

...have tools...will travel
GUNSLINGER67

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!