What's Your Favorite Type Of Asian Sword ?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: What's Your Favorite Type Of Asian Sword ?

Postby theJesusHorse » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:16 pm

The Filipinos/Indonesians have some sweet blades.

Kampilan: The sword used by the Moro tribes to hack up Magellan and many other Spaniards. Now they just use AK's to kidnap tourists. :p
http://traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/Images/Sandata%20Large/Kampilan-new.jpg

Kris: Newer type of Moro sword. Also found in Indonesia.
http://traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/Images/Sandata%20Large/Kris1.jpg

Barong: leaf shaped short sword. Issued to Filipino troops in WWII.
http://traditionalfilipinoweapons.com/Images/Sandata%20Large/Barong.jpg
The misanthropic anthropoid formerly known as "apw100".
www.apwimages.com
theJesusHorse
BFCus Regularus

Postby Caliban » Sat May 15, 2010 8:14 pm

A mate of mine has been in the military antiques businesses fo years, sold Ceasar his first sword !-) He is one of the countries proclaimed dealers and experts for collectable Japanese weaponry. He got me into collecting them years ago and as discussed above yadda, yadda yadda,to my deep regret. But I digress.

I was in his shop one day maybe fifteen or twenty years ago when a ladof about 18 or 19 came in. Scruffy dressed, typical looking scally, carrying something in two black bin bags. Seems he was cutting his teeth on making his way in buying good stuff from flea markets and car boot sales. He Unfolds the bin bags and a blanket to reveal something he had bought in a car bootsale in Brirmingham for £15 ($22) the biggest fucking tachi that either Bill or myself had ever seen. Filthy with gunge and dust and some surface finger acid rust but otherwise an untouched and tidy blade. But it was no fancy ceremonial dress sword. it was a real deal, no nonsense heavy blade made for a mounted samurai to go cutting enemies in two. 14th or 15th century blade as I recall. Can't remember whether it was signed on the tang or not. Bill needless to say snatched the lads arm of with a price both were very happy with ! That was cleaned up and went straight back to Japan for nice coin.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Hitoru » Sat May 15, 2010 10:52 pm

I have a teenage daughter I would trade for that sword Caliban.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Caliban » Sun May 16, 2010 10:37 am

Honestly mate I can't begin to describe how amazing it was. I only saw it for about 15 minutes and had to leave. Bill was later very circumspect about the negotiations !! for obvious reasons, soI didn't see it again . But it was a real no nonsense weapon, nothing fancy about its ornamentation, but with that typical understated style. The man who would have been able to wield it would have been a big bruiser, no doubt. I'm six feet tall and it came up to my rib cage, nealy a foot and a half of that was the Tsuka (The handle bit for the unninitiated !) and I had some difficulty in gripping it effectively. No need to pay a Gym fee. Just swing that monster around your head for five minutes.

A simple analogy. Imagine a US 1850s cavalry sabre compared to a Prussian Heavy cavalry sabre. Thats what this was to an average Japanese sword.
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Caliban » Sun May 16, 2010 11:01 am

Just found this. Very similar but obviously not the same one....(although, who knows?!) ..but it certainly represents a good comparison of it. I described it before as a tachi but of course it could have been a odachi, made to impress rather than total practical use , much like the huge suits of armour made in medieval europe . Just imagine wielding that from the back of a horse.

Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Caliban » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Restarted my collection last week with this.

Edo period - Time of peace - Tokugawa shogunate. Wakazashi Naginata Naoshi (in the stye of a naginata pole arm blade) dated to around 1550 -1650 with 19th century fittings and recently professionally refurbished.

Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby Mikethehack » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:07 pm

Which harmless teenager on the way to a nightclub did you confiscate that from?
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby JITW » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:34 pm

What's Your Favorite Type Of Asian Sword ?

Did I already say "My Penis"?

~JITW
DEATH VALLEY MAGAZINE
The Magazine for Professional Adventurers and Interesting People
http://www.deathvalleymag.com
JITW
BFCus Regularus

Postby gnaruki » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:54 am

Only kitchen knives now. I can't remember the details of the maker but they had to switch from samurai swords to kitchen knives sometime in the last 100 years.

The grain is from the metal being folded over and hammered down. Essentially you can own a piece of bushido tradition and use it to slice dead meat starting around 300 bucks.

The manufacturer is pronounced shun or syun.
gnaruki
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!