Folding Knife for every day carry...

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Folding Knife for every day carry...

Postby ExPatJack » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:38 pm

I've been using an Eickhorn-Solingen Original PRT, but i broke off the belt clip and can't find a replacement since the company folded.
I'm shopping around and am thinking of getting a KERSHAW ZT0200.
I'm going to use it as an everyday carry folder not much hand-to-hand combat, but it would be my first choice.
The reason I like this is the fact i can place the belt clip at many different points. Plus Militarymorons.com gave it a good review.
"I will provide a propagandistic casus belli. Its credibility doesn't matter. The victor will not be asked whether he told the truth." - Adolf Hitler
"All books are children's books if the kid can read" - Mitch Hedburg
ExPatJack
BFCus Regularus

Re: Folding Knife for every day carry...

Postby Woodsman » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:22 pm

I'm sure its a fine knife - but $143!?! That seems like a lot of money for an otherwise basic looking pocket knife!

The last assist-opening knife I bought was around $35 - a Smith&Wesson model SWBLOPS. Unlike most knives on the consumer market, the clip is oriented so the folded blade points up in your pocket. It's apparently discontinued now (per the link below), but it came razor sharp (and has remained that way) and the assist works well. The blade has a lock to prevent opening incidentally in your pocket. The 3" blade works fine for any of the cutting I had to do with it. It's probably tough enough to open up mail box steel with.

http://www.knivesplus.com/smith-wesson-knife-sw-blops.html

Anyway, that's not my everyday carry - my everyday carry is a Leatherman Charge Ti with a black oxide coating on the blades. It was around $100 including a nice slab-o-bits and sheath. This was purchased before the Wave had changed to accepting bits. When I go to replace this knife (after I lose it, because it probably won't break or wear out), I"ll probably replace it with this as another daily carry knife:

http://www.leathermanstore.com/leatherman44.html

:-) The pliers are too practical to live without.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby JOHN O » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:26 am

I've been carrying the Boker Kalashnikov 74 automatic, daily for over two years. Its been packed in mud and carried on two diving trips.

Staff Member,www.theakforum.net ~ retired
JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Postby Stiv » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:40 am

Right now it's a Spyderco Volpe.
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby ExPatJack » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:24 pm

Spyderco's are like Glocks to me...
Tried them, just can't use them. I've never really been a fan of their designs.
"I will provide a propagandistic casus belli. Its credibility doesn't matter. The victor will not be asked whether he told the truth." - Adolf Hitler
"All books are children's books if the kid can read" - Mitch Hedburg
ExPatJack
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:40 pm

I've been carrying this tanto and a clip point version for the last coupe of years. I like it it a lot but some of the allen screws that hold it together have fallen out in the past .

Oh and they were gifts, personaly I wouldn't pay more than forty dollars for a pocket knife .

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-40914.html
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Stiv » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:24 am

19 D 20 personaly I wouldn't pay more than forty dollars for a pocket knife .

Cheapskate :-)) I like to change and mix it up, but it has to be utilitarian, ergonomic and possess an amount of style/flair ;-)

This weeks carry:
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:55 am

[quote="Stiv"]19 D 20 personaly I wouldn't pay more than forty dollars for a pocket knife .

Cheapskate :-)) I like to change and mix it up, but it has to be utilitarian, ergonomic and possess an amount of style/flair ;-)

I tend to lose knives :((and keys
For utilitarian I have a leatherman crunch, and I always have a half dozen or so really sharp machetes in my pickup.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Stiv » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:18 am

I hear you, sunglasses, knives and flashlights I covet nice versions yet know all too well my propensity to lose them routienly.

There's times in town here I'd like to carry a machete trust me:-))

Best,
Stiv
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Postby db36046 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:49 am

I had a really nice one that balanced just right in the hand, not too light, not too heavy. Kershaw "Junk Yard Dog". Mine was serial number one, and I had to throw it in the bin at the Phoenix airport a couple of months ago. Disgusting. It's probably out there on e-bay right now if someone else hasn't already bought it.

I'll have to get another one just like it. They retail for about 60 or 70 US$.
db36046
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:23 am

JOHN O wrote:I've been carrying the Boker Kalashnikov 74 automatic, daily for over two years. Its been packed in mud and carried on two diving trips.

What is the point of that black coating, when it ends up getting scratched up and looking like shit? I mean, yeah, if you're ninja or something, you don't want a shiny blade to give you away. Is a black-coated blade useful for normal people?
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby JOHN O » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:19 pm

Hell if I know,....................., just something for you to nit-pick over. This knife has been well used in the past two years. Mud, sand, saltwater, the knife has been taped to a 6 foot pole to cut ropes and carried everyday at work. It has nothing to do with stealth, but the black coating looked pretty good when it was new.
Staff Member,www.theakforum.net ~ retired
JOHN O
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:41 am

JOHN O wrote:Hell if I know,....................., just something for you to nit-pick over. This knife has been well used in the past two years. Mud, sand, saltwater, the knife has been taped to a 6 foot pole to cut ropes and carried everyday at work. It has nothing to do with stealth, but the black coating looked pretty good when it was new.

Where can I buy one ?

As a collectors piece, you can't carry auto knives in Texas. They have to have some type of assist.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby shivers » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:43 am

Didn't mean to pick on you, John. I just wondered if I was missing something?
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:48 pm

Shivers should know this, being named after them, first rule is that the victim shouldn't see the blade until it's been in and out of them a couple of times. That knife isn't made for killing, the black coating makes it look sexy and goes some way to reducing glint - which as all scouts know - is the longest range visible spectrum give-away of human presence in an area (which is why anyone llikely to get stuck in a desert carries a mirror for signalling aircraft). Ideally the black coating wouldn't come off but what can you expect for cheap shit.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!