My pick for the best Point and shoot available today

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: My pick for the best Point and shoot available today

Postby cochiseintheeast » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:53 pm

I ve got a few thousand miles on my g9 and it kicks ass. Have shot 1000's. No problems. Looks like its time to upgrade. Thanks for the review.
cochiseintheeast
BFCus Regularus

Postby lightstalker » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:36 pm

fotocycle wrote:Can the G10 shoot at 200 dpi or higher straight out of the box? I seem to remember one of its older cousins that would shoot RAW, but still be shooting 72dpi.

All I want from a point and shoot, besides a good lens and manual control, is something higher than 72dpi. I know I can up-res in Photoshop, but when the original file looks like crap when blown up, up-res'ing won't help much. I have a Fujifilm f50d (12MP) right now to carry around, but for trips I would like to not have to lug my 40D and lenses everywhere.

To be honest, i would wait for the G11 or G12 or what ever Canon are going to call the next model.The improvements are minor other than a larger chip and a wider lens.The product cycle is too short, and Canon only just released the G9 less than a year ago.
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby fotocycle » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:41 am

Actually I'd rather get a G9 when they start going for cheap...
"The future's uncertain and the end is always near."

My motorcycle page | And the photography page
fotocycle

Postby Stiv » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:18 am

fotocycle wrote:Can the G10 shoot at 200 dpi or higher straight out of the box? I seem to remember one of its older cousins that would shoot RAW, but still be shooting 72dpi.

All I want from a point and shoot, besides a good lens and manual control, is something higher than 72dpi. I know I can up-res in Photoshop, but when the original file looks like crap when blown up, up-res'ing won't help much. I have a Fujifilm f50d (12MP) right now to carry around, but for trips I would like to not have to lug my 40D and lenses everywhere.

While the camera may only be shooting at 72dpi (this can be changed in the setup preferences in many models as well of course in Photoshop) you'll notice the image sizes can be up to 20 to 30 inches in size,( at least on moderate to high priced cameras) allowing some leway for an unaltered enlargement.

Since 90% of the images I creat for work and play are post processed I always set an auto/action in photoshop which sizes the image sensibly (5x7-8x10 etc) and then a routine (for my purposes) 300dpi standard. RAW has it's place but for the most part not for those of us who shoot hundreds upon hundreds of images a week with STAT turnaround.

~Stiv
Her eyes like sparks, my heart like gasoline
Stiv
BFCus Regularus

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!