Also taking the gun plunge...

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Also taking the gun plunge...

Postby svizzerams » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:20 pm

One of the women I work with is on the local SWAT team - Her issue weapon is a .40 Glock - she is a little shorter than I with smaller hands. She likes the handling of this weapon. BTW - she is a willowy blonde who just got back from 2 weeks of SWAT training in CA - part of the time during which she was carrying her infant daughter in a snuggley. Women in "real America" rock....(She works for our EMS department when she isn't involved in pulling marijuana plants up by the roots in our national forests).

So after our conversation and a bit of research I've kinds of latched onto this one as a potential purchase - What sayeth the gun nuts on the flag? Also WA state has a fairly liberal concealed carry permit system. And Woodsman, there is reciprocity to Michigan...lol

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/s ... uct42.html
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Re: Also taking the gun plunge...

Postby Ultra Swain » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:26 pm

Are you buying this gun to carry?

When I was shopping for my gun the guys at the shop I was at really recommended the G23 if I was planning on using this as a carry weapon. Light, slim profile, reliable. They gave it very high marks.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Woodsman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:31 pm

svizzerams wrote:So after our conversation and a bit of research I've kinds of latched onto this one as a potential purchase - What sayeth the gun nuts on the flag? Also WA state has a fairly liberal concealed carry permit system. And Woodsman, there is reciprocity to Michigan...lol

That is a good thing - you will want it if you ever visit Detroit. That, and a 12 barreled 2 gauge.

1. Get your permit. There is training involved, it's very basic, but very useful, so I would recommend it from that aspect alone.
2. If you can figure out a way to use your friend's gun at a range (policies, policies) so you can try it out, I would do that before buying one.

In general, I was fairly impressed at how good the trigger was on the Glock I tested at the PA gun show. It certainly ruined my stereotyping of double action autos - I still don't like the idea you have to pull that far back on the trigger to get it to it's sweet spot, but let off was very good - not as sweet as my pistol - but better than I suspected.

I am still very biased toward the 1911 design. If I was going to go out and purchase a handgun today, it would probably be a commander sized Springfield made 1911 model in .45 with a light rail in a saltwater resistant finish .40 is another good choice today, as is 9mm, but when all the possibilities are covered, the .45 makes sense from an energy and availability standpoint for a gun that is purpose designed (that is, you need to stop the threat and it is not practical to haul around a rifle/shotgun).

But that's me - For you, I would recommend...well, exactly the same thing. Why? Because you have proved beyond any doubt that you have no problem handling the .45 and in fact are one of the better pistol shooters I've seen!

So here it is:

Here's a review:

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/guns-and-weapons/springfield-lw-champion-operator-45acp-2/

and so you can practice cheaply yet still with the same gun, get a .22 conversion kit and here it is:

Read about the conversion kit here:

http://www.gunblast.com/tacsol1911.htm
Last edited by Woodsman on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Fenrisco » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:31 pm

svizzerams wrote:Women in "real America" rock....

You're damn right, and I wish there were more of them. Thankfully it's a mindset rather than a citizenship or location-based thing, and I was lucky enough to find one crazy enough to marry me elsewhere on the planet.

I still like .357 mag (cc's a bit tricky though).
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:38 pm

SWSBO's carry.

I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Woodsman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:43 pm

That's funny! Nice job, Q.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby nowonmai » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:27 pm

Reassuringly expensive. Sig 220 Compact.

nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:56 pm

nowonmai wrote:Reassuringly expensive. Sig 220 Compact.

What happened to the grip - did somebody get silly with the dremel?
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!