Gun: Plunged

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Gun: Plunged

Postby ktrout » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:08 am

Zero wrote: Catching someone completely by surprise in an ambush sounds nice, but it isn't legally defensible. People can and do get charged with murder, and sued for offing intruders in their own home--the attitude is that if you get killed by a career criminal, well, it's a tragedy, but if you kill a career criminal but could have avoided it, you need to go to the big house.

Freaking ridiculous. In my CCW class, the instructor stressed that in this state you had to be able to prove that the perp was a danger to life. My plan is to show them my .22 mini revolver and hope they die from a massive coronary due to laughter.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Tarkan » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:22 am

ktrout wrote:
Zero wrote: Catching someone completely by surprise in an ambush sounds nice, but it isn't legally defensible. People can and do get charged with murder, and sued for offing intruders in their own home--the attitude is that if you get killed by a career criminal, well, it's a tragedy, but if you kill a career criminal but could have avoided it, you need to go to the big house.

Freaking ridiculous. In my CCW class, the instructor stressed that in this state you had to be able to prove that the perp was a danger to life. My plan is to show them my .22 mini revolver and hope they die from a massive coronary due to laughter.

Thank God I live in Texas.
I'd whore myself out just one more time if I knew who to screw to get out of this grind.
Tarkan
BFCus Regularus

Postby Zero » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:48 am

I eagerly await reading about "yes sir, we understand that he was shelling your domicile with a 60mm mortar, but you were still in the wrong when you went outside, walked over the hill, and shot him in the face."
Zero
Salva Nos

Postby coldharvest » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:29 am

I have used this defence in court and with the police
"He said he was going to kill me",
it hasn't failed me yet.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Q » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:44 pm

coldharvest wrote:I have used this defence in court and with the police
"He said he was going to kill me",
it hasn't failed me yet.

"I was in fear for my life, officer. I'd like to speak to a lawyer."

EOT.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby nowonmai » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:06 pm

Don't say, "They poikeys ad it coomin boy"
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:28 pm

This state is exactly like Texas in that regard...They come in unwanted at night, you fell threatened so you shoot them and they automatically have no legal footing to stand on. The law prevents them, their family, the prosecuting attorney or anyone else from putting any blame on the homeowner whatsoever. Ditto for your porch, ditto for your private vehicle going down the road - someone attempts to car jack you and if you feel threatened for your life, you have the right to shoot them - they have no rights other than perhaps to be buried.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby jetdrvr » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:38 am

nowonmai wrote:I hear all that but I still think you may just want all the gear. If so, just crack on and get it, don't bother asking for advice.

My rationale:
After 50 rounds on the "range" you'll be bored shitless of firing at targets 100 yards away. It's pointless with a shotgun.
In the woods - all that stuff hanging off will make you shoot worse, not better as it will affect the guns CofG and impede your swing. The muzzle flash from a shotgun is negligible. Slings slow you up.
In the house - anything, anything at all, additional inserted in the chain of loading, make ready, point, release safety catch and fire is an unnecessary burden on a shotgun. The torch is unnecessary, the last thing you want to do is to give away your position. In home defence you should be static in an ambush position, unless you have blackout curtains this won't be a problem because your eyes are more likely to be attuned to darkness than the intruder. Anyway, a shotgun is an area weapon. Wandering around the house with a torch on the end of the gun looking for baddies is a recipe to die unless you are very well trained, even an average bad guy has a reasonable chance of closing with someone armed with a long gun inside a house.

Very good advice. A ghost ring ain't a really bad idea, but you don't need it.

I often chucke at all these badass SWAT guys running around with lights on their guns. Just gives someone hiding an a dark nook something obvious to shoot at. A couple of loads of buckshot in the vicinity of that light and somebody's going down.
"If you ain't livin' on the edge, you're takin' up too much space."
jetdrvr

Postby jetdrvr » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:43 am

Woodsman wrote:This state is exactly like Texas in that regard...They come in unwanted at night, you fell threatened so you shoot them and they automatically have no legal footing to stand on. The law prevents them, their family, the prosecuting attorney or anyone else from putting any blame on the homeowner whatsoever. Ditto for your porch, ditto for your private vehicle going down the road - someone attempts to car jack you and if you feel threatened for your life, you have the right to shoot them - they have no rights other than perhaps to be buried.

Same thing in Florida. We have among the best self defense laws in the nation.
"If you ain't livin' on the edge, you're takin' up too much space."
jetdrvr

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!