Gun: Plunged

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Gun: Plunged

Postby Zero » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:25 pm

On some level, I am annoyed that I felt the need to own a firearm--this isn't Beirut, and I should not have 'civil unrest' on my mind.

However, I took on a big, new responsibility, and made the purchase. Let's hope that these aren't like tattoos, and that I can stick with just one...or two...or twelve...

Now what do I do to it? I'm thinking about adding a flashlight, flash suppressor, ghost ring sight setup, and sling, but I know exactly squat, so comments would be cool.

Anyone know where a good place to get some crawl-walk-run instruction on use, so I can be 'tactical' and crap, and learn good drills for practicing? I've shot guns all of twice in my life, and I'm going to go find some adult supervision before I take it apart and put it back together.
Zero
Salva Nos

Re: Gun: Plunged

Postby Devlin » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:53 pm

The 870 is a great basic shotgun that you will get years of service out of.

The first thing I would look into is a sling, there are only a few light setups that will work for you, I have a arm band that I use for "action" matches or sometimes i just like to wear it around the home. Lot's of cool shotgun stuff out there. Enjoy.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/conten ... Shotshells

There are several videos/DVD's out there on tactical shotgun shooting.

http://www.galatiinternational.com/Merc ... de=LTBC573

http://gunsite.com/store/page8.html
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Zero » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:12 pm

Devlin wrote:The 870 is a great basic shotgun that you will get years of service out of.

The first thing I would look into is a sling, there are only a few light setups that will work for you, I have a arm band that I use for "action" matches or sometimes i just like to wear it around the home. Lot's of cool shotgun stuff out there. Enjoy.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/conten ... Shotshells

I would feel way too cool about myself if I ordered one of those lol

There are several videos/DVD's out there on tactical shotgun shooting.
http://www.galatiinternational.com/Merc ... de=LTBC573
http://gunsite.com/store/page8.html

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Tactical-Sh ... c76aa85f2d

Hooray, thanks a bunch
Zero
Salva Nos

Postby Q » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:12 pm

No...no..no.

1)It's a shotgun.
2)It's a shotgun.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Zero » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:31 pm

Q wrote:It's a shotgun.

In this book it says that the ghost rings allow you to "put slugs through a six-inch hole at 100yds with boring consistency" You can really sell me anything that has to do with things that might hurt people if you use the words 'boring consistency'.

Here's the video with the flash hider in action. Big flashes and loud noises frighten and confuse me, so this seems like it would be nice.
Zero
Salva Nos

Postby Woodsman » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:09 pm

That's a sweet one. Load it up and shoot some deer with slugs and grouse with 6 shot. Have fun picking pellets out of your bird meat. Probably works good on neighbors idiot cats too, but it's a bit loud for that action.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:42 pm

Mmmmm grouse. I just had some grouse from Scotland. That was one fine bird.
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby ExPatJack » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:51 pm

I have a Remmy 1300 Defender. I use a simple 2 point sling which is use over my strong side shoulder so it will hang low-ready. I also have a side saddle with 6 rounds so I am carrying 13+1 already.
I bought a decent single point sling to look cool, but I dont like how the wep hangs when switching to secondary.

Add some double-0 for nice compact holes at whoever is trying to get in. I don't bother with a light because I don't like how it shifts when loading a new round.

As far as trainging goes, my mate swaers by Suarez International and has been to many of his home defense courses.
"I will provide a propagandistic casus belli. Its credibility doesn't matter. The victor will not be asked whether he told the truth." - Adolf Hitler
"All books are children's books if the kid can read" - Mitch Hedburg
ExPatJack
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:47 pm

To me the most important training wise thing to do with a (tube fed) shot gun, is to practice keeping it topped off while firing on the move.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Zero » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:48 pm

ExPatJack wrote:I have a Remmy 1300 Defender. I use a simple 2 point sling which is use over my strong side shoulder so it will hang low-ready. I also have a side saddle with 6 rounds so I am carrying 13+1 already.
I bought a decent single point sling to look cool, but I dont like how the wep hangs when switching to secondary.

Add some double-0 for nice compact holes at whoever is trying to get in. I don't bother with a light because I don't like how it shifts when loading a new round.

As far as trainging goes, my mate swaers by Suarez International and has been to many of his home defense courses.

I don't like the light shifting either, are there any weaponlights that mount to the tube-clip instead of the pump handle? I checked out Suarez, they look interesting, I'll see about taking advantage of their 'you attend free if you set us up with a venue' offer.
Zero
Salva Nos

Postby nowonmai » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:50 pm

Keep it clear of slings, torches, sights etc. If you can't do the job in 5 rounds then you're fucked anyway. Familiarity is the key.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Zero » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:39 pm

Neat, I think my E2D can be mounted using this mag tube rail adapter and flashlight holder So the light shifting with the slide is no longer an issue. And the project is cheaper, because I already have the light, so the only costs are the (relatively) cheap mounting tools.

nowonmai wrote:Keep it clear of slings, torches, sights etc. If you can't do the job in 5 rounds then you're fucked anyway. Familiarity is the key.

Rationale: this gun will be used on the range, in the woods, and in the home, therefore: flash suppressor because I do not like flashes. Sling, because it is heavy, and I am a pussy. Sights, because I want to be able to hit things at the end of my local shooting range (100yd), so I can mock idiots, and a flashlight for snapping on to stun/blind deer while crouching at the end of a dark hallway.
Zero
Salva Nos

Postby nowonmai » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:02 pm

I hear all that but I still think you may just want all the gear. If so, just crack on and get it, don't bother asking for advice.

My rationale:
After 50 rounds on the "range" you'll be bored shitless of firing at targets 100 yards away. It's pointless with a shotgun.
In the woods - all that stuff hanging off will make you shoot worse, not better as it will affect the guns CofG and impede your swing. The muzzle flash from a shotgun is negligible. Slings slow you up.
In the house - anything, anything at all, additional inserted in the chain of loading, make ready, point, release safety catch and fire is an unnecessary burden on a shotgun. The torch is unnecessary, the last thing you want to do is to give away your position. In home defence you should be static in an ambush position, unless you have blackout curtains this won't be a problem because your eyes are more likely to be attuned to darkness than the intruder. Anyway, a shotgun is an area weapon. Wandering around the house with a torch on the end of the gun looking for baddies is a recipe to die unless you are very well trained, even an average bad guy has a reasonable chance of closing with someone armed with a long gun inside a house.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Q » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Zero wrote: while crouching at the end of a dark hallway.

Other than what Now already said, you're going to trip all over your own ass wielding a 590 around your home. If you're flush get a field tac. 18inch bbl. If I can ever find my fucking cam, I'll show you the difference.
I am the object of criticism around the world. But I think that since I am being discussed, then I am on the right track.

- The Dear Leader
Q
Al-Aqua Teen Martyr's Brigade

Postby Zero » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:32 am

nowonmai wrote:I hear all that but I still think you may just want all the gear. If so, just crack on and get it, don't bother asking for advice.

This is possible.

My rationale:
After 50 rounds on the "range" you'll be bored shitless of firing at targets 100 yards away. It's pointless with a shotgun.
In the woods - all that stuff hanging off will make you shoot worse, not better as it will affect the guns CofG and impede your swing. The muzzle flash from a shotgun is negligible. Slings slow you up.
In the house - anything, anything at all, additional inserted in the chain of loading, make ready, point, release safety catch and fire is an unnecessary burden on a shotgun. The torch is unnecessary, the last thing you want to do is to give away your position. In home defence you should be static in an ambush position, unless you have blackout curtains this won't be a problem because your eyes are more likely to be attuned to darkness than the intruder. Anyway, a shotgun is an area weapon. Wandering around the house with a torch on the end of the gun looking for baddies is a recipe to die unless you are very well trained, even an average bad guy has a reasonable chance of closing with someone armed with a long gun inside a house.

I'm a pussy, I'm not interested in carrying it around in the woods without a sling, plus it's a good sling, and I could put it on a rifle if I buy one later. I know it is possible to perform brain surgery with a shotgun at decent distances, and a pair of small iron sights seems to be a reasonable price to pay for potentially joining this semi-exclusive club. Having fired a shotgun before, I find the flash obnoxious, and am also putting the item on an extended choke tube instead of a barrel, so if it's stupid, I can just put it in a box. The flashlight seems kind of retarded, but I already have one and wouldn't be paying much to get the mount points, so why the hell not--it's just a rail, so it's not even an involved installation.

'Home defense' progression: keep shotgun nearby, loaded with buckshot and slugs, alternating, on intrusion, rack the slide, set ambush position at one end of hallway with the light on at the other, crouch. When intruder steps into light, blind him with 120 lumens, and order him to the ground, if the response is aggressive, pull the trigger, rack the slide, and repeat until the aggression stops. Catching someone completely by surprise in an ambush sounds nice, but it isn't legally defensible. People can and do get charged with murder, and sued for offing intruders in their own home--the attitude is that if you get killed by a career criminal, well, it's a tragedy, but if you kill a career criminal but could have avoided it, you need to go to the big house.
Zero
Salva Nos

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!