Putting together a custom 1911- Any suggestions?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Putting together a custom 1911- Any suggestions?

Postby theJesusHorse » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:39 am

I just purchased a lightly used Springfield Loaded 1911 for $520! Not a bad deal eh? Anyway, I want to use it as a solid starting point for a custom gun. Here are the modifications I plan on making(in order)....

1. Wilson Combat mags
2. Shock-Buff kit
3. Kart EZ-Fit barrel
4. Wilson Combat barrel bushing
5. 20lpi front strap checkering
6. Armor-Tuff, Dura-coat or Armory-Kote black finish.

Any other recommendations? Trigger groups?
The misanthropic anthropoid formerly known as "apw100".
www.apwimages.com
theJesusHorse
BFCus Regularus

Re: Putting together a custom 1911- Any suggestions?

Postby Woodsman » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:04 pm

theJesusHorse wrote:I just purchased a lightly used Springfield Loaded 1911 for $520! Not a bad deal eh? Anyway, I want to use it as a solid starting point for a custom gun. Here are the modifications I plan on making(in order)....

1. Wilson Combat mags
2. Shock-Buff kit
3. Kart EZ-Fit barrel
4. Wilson Combat barrel bushing
5. 20lpi front strap checkering
6. Armor-Tuff, Dura-coat or Armory-Kote black finish.

Any other recommendations? Trigger groups?

A. Before you purchase the barrel, test the pistol on a ransom rest prior to any mods first to see how it groups with a mag full of 3 different brands of ammunition (e.g. three 7 shot group scores measured center to center - 25 yards). This will tell you if it is necessary to replace the barrel or if precision is acceptable - using your own tolerance figures.

B. What about an extended beavertail to keep the hammer from pinching the meat of your hands (not sure if your model already has one or not - thinking all the loaded units do?).

C. Why buy the extra bushing - for the logo? The EZ-fit already comes with the bushing (or should). The bushing should be factory fitted to the barrel, otherwise you might end up with some slop at the important end - or have to spend time removing metal.

D. Some folks have reported that the 1200 degree engine paint w/ceramic made by Duplicolor allows for a finish that is harder than dura-coat, is impervious to the same sorts of solvents and conditions and looks just as nice. If you have an oven that goes to 400 degrees, you're set - as it needs to bake on (from what I've read). However, they don't have that many colors available - not near the selection the purpose finishes have. Research it first!!!

E. What kinds of sights does it have on it? I would recommend an adjustable low profile Novak rear and a matched front post, both with tritium inserts so you can see where your pistol is at night and where your target is during low light conditions.

I think my favorite mod on that list is the front strap checkering. I especially love the way those Springfield target models feel on my fingers - like little mini daggers - it is just a total improvement for really putting a death grip on the pistol. Are you going to do this yourself or send it to a shop?
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby theJesusHorse » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:33 pm

Woodsman wrote:
A. Before you purchase the barrel, test the pistol on a ransom rest prior to any mods first to see how it groups with a mag full of 3 different brands of ammunition (e.g. three 7 shot group scores measured center to center - 25 yards). This will tell you if it is necessary to replace the barrel or if precision is acceptable - using your own tolerance figures.

B. What about an extended beavertail to keep the hammer from pinching the meat of your hands (not sure if your model already has one or not - thinking all the loaded units do?).

C. Why buy the extra bushing - for the logo? The EZ-fit already comes with the bushing (or should). The bushing should be factory fitted to the barrel, otherwise you might end up with some slop at the important end - or have to spend time removing metal.

D. Some folks have reported that the 1200 degree engine paint w/ceramic made by Duplicolor allows for a finish that is harder than dura-coat, is impervious to the same sorts of solvents and conditions and looks just as nice. If you have an oven that goes to 400 degrees, you're set - as it needs to bake on (from what I've read). However, they don't have that many colors available - not near the selection the purpose finishes have. Research it first!!!

E. What kinds of sights does it have on it? I would recommend an adjustable low profile Novak rear and a matched front post, both with tritium inserts so you can see where your pistol is at night and where your target is during low light conditions.

I think my favorite mod on that list is the front strap checkering. I especially love the way those Springfield target models feel on my fingers - like little mini daggers - it is just a total improvement for really putting a death grip on the pistol. Are you going to do this yourself or send it to a shop?

Here is a photo of the Springfield Loaded model....

A. I will take your advice on the testing.

B.The Loaded comes with a beavertail standard.

C. I wasn't aware that the Kart barrel comes with the bushing when I wrote that.

D. That idea about the Duplicolor finish is interesting. I may give it a shot, but my previous attempt at refinishing(re-bluing) a 1911 didn't go so well...

E. The Loaded comes standard with Novaks.

I too love front strap checkering. Like you said, it makes for a real death grip. I will probably get it checkered at the same time I refinish it. Until then, I will probably install one of those bolt-on Wilson combat checkered front straps.
The misanthropic anthropoid formerly known as "apw100".
www.apwimages.com
theJesusHorse
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:56 pm

$520 = Really great deal for that pistol. That's a beauty. I'll bet it shoots really, really good without doing much of anything with it. Novaks are the best in my opinion. I wish my Kimber had them on it (that one has Meprolights). You know how it goes though - I'm not buying a new set of Novak's unless they come pre-installed on another pistol. :-)
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!