Why do the Scout Snipers Still use bolt action rifles?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Why do the Scout Snipers Still use bolt action rifles?

Postby bearfood » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:21 am

Because the Remington 700 is as silky smooth as a really silky smooth Asian chick.

Open sights= hard on
Pondera county
Bob's place.
Ultimate ungulate penetration

Look it up deer, and other types of deers; it's called manifest destiny. It's in the book we wrote. Fuck you deer.
bearfood

Postby nowonmai » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:27 am

I need some education. I'm always interested in places I can retire to and your area looks ideal but in googling Pondera County and Highway 93 and 75 to see where it is, I found Pondera easy enough but couldn't make the connections with the Route signs in your avatar. This has led me to realise that I don;t know what type of routes there are in America. i.e is an I-route the same as a Highway and is there a national standard for colour coding these route signs. And where the hell are you - in general terms. I like the look of Bob too - he reminds me of the now dead breed of old boys who used to exist in parts of the UK.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:51 pm

Bob looks like about 50% of the folks that live around here. The other 50% are toothless fat chicks.

I=interstate (which is a federally owned multi-lane divided road with the highest road speeds in the U.S.) A highway here is nothing more than a state owned road that typically has a speed limit of 55 mph. An interstate has a maximum speed of 80 or 85 (whatever it has been changed to on that road in TX.) Around here they are 70 mph, but most people drive 80-85 anyway.

As for Montana, you missed the boat. back when I lived there, the speed limit was "reasonable and prudent" during the daytime and I can't remember what the special reflective speed limit signs used to say during the night time. If you want to live in a cold place during your retirement, that is a fantastic spot for you. Montana has the most extreme low temperature of anywhere in the continental U.S. at -70F.

'Course you could always snuggle up with those sheep, which I know is what got you excited about the place anyway.

nowonmai wrote:I need some education. I'm always interested in places I can retire to and your area looks ideal but in googling Pondera County and Highway 93 and 75 to see where it is, I found Pondera easy enough but couldn't make the connections with the Route signs in your avatar. This has led me to realise that I don;t know what type of routes there are in America. i.e is an I-route the same as a Highway and is there a national standard for colour coding these route signs. And where the hell are you - in general terms. I like the look of Bob too - he reminds me of the now dead breed of old boys who used to exist in parts of the UK.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:18 pm

Also: Bearfood's avatar shows a sign that is telling you how far away the highway is. As for the small brown 75 sign, it's hard to tell if it's a mile marker post or what it is - but it does not appear to be a route number (Brown signs usually are associated with parks, but not always). Getting around the U.S. is MUCH easier than this sign depicts. In fact, it's ridiculously easy (as in most places you would have to go out of your way to get lost). Pick up any road atlas at a typical fueling station in the U.S. and the inside cover of the publication will tell you all about the U.S. road system. The major highways are plastered with signs all over the place pointing you to the places you would choose to go.

I used to live and work just to the SW of there in Missoula/Seeley lake. It is nice countryside around there for hours, though Missoula is a bit smoggy because it sits in a valley.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby bearfood » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:46 pm

nowonmai wrote:I need some education. I'm always interested in places I can retire to and your area looks ideal but in googling Pondera County and Highway 93 and 75 to see where it is, I found Pondera easy enough but couldn't make the connections with the Route signs in your avatar. This has led me to realise that I don;t know what type of routes there are in America. i.e is an I-route the same as a Highway and is there a national standard for colour coding these route signs. And where the hell are you - in general terms. I like the look of Bob too - he reminds me of the now dead breed of old boys who used to exist in parts of the UK.

Yeah Bob's a great guy. Jack of all trades. He lives in a converted School bus with 2 dogs, a wood stove, electricity, and no running water. An old friend of the family, I like to pick up a jug of whisky and go visit him whenever I get a chance.

No connection between highway 93, and Pondera county in Montana. In general terms these photos were taken on what is referred to as the Rocky Mountain Front/Golden Triangle region of North Central MT. Highway 93 runs through Western MT,including the towns of Darby, Hamilton, Missoula, Kalispell, I live in MIssoula part of the year, and in Fort Shaw, MT the other part.

It's called the golden triangle because between 3 cities, (Havre, Great Falls, and Browning) a lot of barley and wheat is grown. The Rocky Mountain Front is simply where the plains collide into the Rocky Mountains, no foothills, no gentle transitions, it's just -BAM- Mountains, and Grizzly Bears.

Woodsman is right, it gets damn cold here in the winter, but along the rocky mountain front we get Chinook Winds, a warm wind that eats the snow and blows the cold arctic air masses away, this gives us a nice reprieve from the bitter cold temps. These snow eater winds do not reach the far Eastern plains of MT, North Dakota, or Minnesota.

In Browning, MT along the Rocky Mountain front From January 23, 1916 to January 24, 1916, the temperature fell 100°F (56°C) from 44°F (7°C) to -56°F (-49°C). This is the United States record for the greatest temperature change in 24 hours.

Big Sky Country- Pondera
Two Medicine River- Pondera
The Chief of Rock City- Pondera, North of Valier
Glacier National park/ near Browning- about 30 miles west of Pondera County
Badger/Two Medicine country- home of the Blackfeet Indians
bearfood

Postby nowonmai » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:24 pm

Thanks for all that. I realised that an area I'm quite familiar with lies not to far to the north of you around Calgary so I'm used to the cold and besides it separates the wheat from the chaff. My old Bob died last year - I went shooting without him the other week and swear I could see the old bugger in the light of the moon. He could hit things in near darkness even in his 80s.
nowonmai
BFCus Regularus

Postby Jack » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:13 am

Bolt-action is used because it reduces profile. Firing anything else flicks brass into the air and can be seen. With bolt action you can slide the bolt back with minimal movement and then gently pincer the brass between your fingers. It has nothing to do with accuracy.
Brute force without wisdom falls by its own weight.
Horace, Odes, iv, 65

E-mail: jack.mcghee@gmail.com
Jack

Postby Hitoru » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:26 pm

Best answer so far IMO.

One of my buds was a Ranger sniper in Somalia and he told me every time they would fire the Barrett at the skinnys the shooter would get mortared.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!