Supersoldier exoskeleton

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Supersoldier exoskeleton

Postby Moosehead » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:18 am

The future of the US soldier? Seems to be a system to carry more unessential crap around.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/27 ... oskeleton/

and the .pdf from Lockheed Martin: http://www.lockheedmartin.com/data/asse ... t_Card.pdf

Features
• Range: 1 hour walk at 3 mph per 4 lbs of batteries
• Payload: Can carry up to 200 lbs; can carry front and back loads
• Max Speed: 7 mph for long duration; 10 mph burst speed
• Fits Soldiers between 5’4” and 6’2”
Attachments
• Front load attachment for lifting heavy objects such as artillery shells
• Front load SWAT ballistic shield attachment
• Custom front load pick and place attachments available
• Foldable kit to lift and carry a combat casualty patient
System Integration
• HULC can be used as the backbone for integrated systems that include armor, heating or cooling systems, sensors and other custom attachments.
Options
• Long-range extended 72-hour mission model uses silent JP8 generator and weighs 85 lbs with fuel; range is 3 days, walking 8 hours per day at 3 mph

With echoes of the BIGDOG http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/27 ... hancement/ - sounds like a chainsaw, seems more useful though.
And all my promises are lies, all my love is hate
I am the politician, and I decide your fate
Motorhead - Orgasmatron
Moosehead
BFCus Regularus

Re: Supersoldier exoskeleton

Postby khalampre » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:03 pm

As we bulk up to protect ourselves we slow down incredibly. I was talking to a guy that said the first time he deployed to Iraq that foot patrols would get hit with small arms fire, and that the Iraqis would just beat feet out of there. There is no way that you are going to catch someone with an AK and 2-4 mags if you are wearing all of that crap.

This thing above is just garbage. How did we move artillery rounds in the past? Let me tell you, "I NEED 3 PRIVATES!". Then the little bastards would try to kill one another to get to the NCOIC in order not to be seen as slacking. Yes, this crap is heavy and doing this for a lifetime will hurt your back, but that is why if you intend to stay in the Army you move up the rank structure to the point where you do not have to pick up heavy crap.
I hate everything about you - Ugly Kid Joe
khalampre
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:22 pm

My wife has been telling me she wanted one of these for the last 4-5 years.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

The best webcomic in the universe

Postby Zero » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:09 pm

[quote=khalampre]This thing above is just garbage. How did we move artillery rounds in the past? Let me tell you, "I NEED 3 PRIVATES!". Then the little bastards would try to kill one another to get to the NCOIC in order not to be seen as slacking. Yes, this crap is heavy and doing this for a lifetime will hurt your back, but that is why if you intend to stay in the Army you move up the rank structure to the point where you do not have to pick up heavy crap.[/quote]

I'm not clear on the immediate utility, but then again, early firearms were significantly less effective than bows and crossbows, it was the continued effort to develop them (probably in part because of 'cool factor') that lead to their eventual dominance of the battlefield.

Zero
Salva Nos

Postby ElPeregrino » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:54 pm

Seems like it'd take a lot of getting used to to run in one of those get-ups period, let alone chasing after guerrillas.

Why aren't are troops shedding their gear like they did in WWII and earlier? Seems to me like the gearhead tendency started up in Vietnam, and look how we ended up doing there...
Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
—Ambrose Bierce—
ElPeregrino

Postby Fenrisco » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:29 am

Ah, Schlock Mercenary. Excellent.
"Do What Keepeth Thou from Wilting Shall Be the Loophole of The Law"
Fenrisco
BFCus Regularus

Postby Atrax » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:23 am

ElPeregrino wrote:Why aren't are troops shedding their gear like they did in WWII and earlier? Seems to me like the gearhead tendency started up in Vietnam, and look how we ended up doing there...

Serious risk aversion issues by senior NCOs/Officers. Patrol the same street, at the same time of day, and park the trucks in the same spot. But make sure you wear your side plates.
Atrax
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:38 am

we seem to be going backwards
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby coldharvest » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:49 am

we seem to be going backwards

...if only
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby Zero » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:20 pm

Atrax wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:Why aren't are troops shedding their gear like they did in WWII and earlier? Seems to me like the gearhead tendency started up in Vietnam, and look how we ended up doing there...

Serious risk aversion issues by senior NCOs/Officers. Patrol the same street, at the same time of day, and park the trucks in the same spot. But make sure you wear your side plates.

Quick follow ups are important in a counterinsurgency, because while the 'slow but certain' death is effective, the enemy is emboldened when they can 'count coup' by hitting you and running.

It is a law of nature that anything predictable is exploitable. Wearing your plates all the time means that the enemy has to assume that you're wearing them when they plan an attack, which probably saves more lives than body armor stops bullets. The only reliable way to kill some tiny turtle-geared fucker is with (explosive) standoff weapons like landmines, remote bombs, and RPGs (according to wikileaked NGIC report, the things that kill the most troops in Iraq are IEDs and RPG-7s so yeah im right), the next best option is to get a bullet through the spine/up into the brain under the helmet, followed by a shot under the shoulder, and finally a lucky shot into the legs--given the 'firing crouch' people instinctively slip into and the tendency for disciplined soldiers to face their enemies, this is much easier said than done.

From some ranger combat medical handbook: the majority of combat deaths are caused by headshots, followed by penetrating chest wounds, followed by uncontrolled bleeding from an extremity. Wearing your helmet, your vest, and having buddies who are fast on the tourniquet will keep your ass alive when they spray you with lead. It is worth it, because one day they either won't run fast enough, or you will have figured out where they live, and will grab them in their sleep.

If you really wanted to try not wearing plates, you would have to do it with your whole team, and do it rarely enough that the enemy assumes that you're always wearing them. Rolling a dice before going on patrol, and if you get a particular number, having your patrol take them off while in the truck would be a logical way of getting that effect, but it would be pointless, because you are more expensive to produce than some fifteen year old with an AK. Just wait for these to hit the field: http://www.militarytimes.com/multimedia ... ergunship/
Zero
Salva Nos

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!