Info on attachable/mountable laser rangefinder for rifle...?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Info on attachable/mountable laser rangefinder for rifle...?

Postby Aussie TJS » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:39 pm

Anyone know of any good attachable/mountable laser range finders for rifles?
I am not after a scope and range finder in the one body.

An overall similar concept to the 'riflecam' mount below but less chunky (as the mount and rangefinder are 2 seperate items)

http://www.topratedadventures.com/Mfg/theRifleCam.htm
Happiness is only a reality when shared
The goal is to Survive or die for a cause - I'll let Jah choose which one
'A weapon in any country is a faster way to trouble than using your brain' - vagabond
Aussie TJS
BFCus Regularus

Re: Info on attachable/mountable laser rangefinder for rifle...?

Postby Hitoru » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:12 am

What are you going to be targeting ?
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Woodsman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:41 am

How about getting a scope that has a laser rangefinder built in?

Also, why not just use a mil-dot reticle and estimate using the mils?
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:56 am

Here's a start:

http://www.scopesnmore.com/outdoor_electronics/laser_rangefinder_rifle_scopes.htm

Some think Bushnell glass is cheap - I think they're a decent value all things considered - but Burris is probably better as a brand.

I will add that I don't care much for 42mm dia. tubes.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:01 am

Woodsman wrote:How about getting a scope that has a laser rangefinder built in?

Ed Zakery
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Woodsman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:40 pm

Hitoru wrote:

Ed Zakery

Are you saying this can't be done? - Or are you saying my face looks like an ass? Because if it's the first, I can show you that it can when I get to Texas in a couple months from now...if it's the second, fucking arborist...if it's both, well then that's just highly unacceptable.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aussie TJS » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:54 pm

Hitoru wrote:What are you going to be targeting ?

Targets and Deer mainly for this particular rifle - mainly for longer distance shooting.

I thought the simplest way would be to get a scope with the built in rangefinder but i would like to get a detachable one so can remove it and use it on the other rifles with less fuss.

I have found some good illuminated mil-dot reticles. Do you have any recommendations?
Only need illuminated for spot lighting purposes (not deer or targets)
Note though i have not used mil-dot reticles before

Thanks for the link - The scopes with the LRF are cheaper than i was expecting
'A weapon in any country is a faster way to trouble than using your brain' - vagabond
Aussie TJS
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:19 pm

Aussie TJS wrote:Thanks for the link - The scopes with the LRF are cheaper than i was expecting

If you really want to know what I think is the best deer hunting scope that I've ever seen it's the ACOG - the one with the illuminated chevron (none of that tri-power or dual illumination crap). There is an ACOG mounted to that contraption in the first pic, but that's the dual illuminated one with the giant red dot in the middle of the reticle...possible use for CQB stuff, but all but worthless for a sniper or deer hunter or target shooter looking for high precision.

The ACOG is only 4 power, and does have some range estimating abilities (though those are crude because it is not a mil dot), but primarily for hold over if I remember. The thing that makes it REALLY awesome for deer hunting is that it's the widest angle 4x scope I've ever looked through. The optical clarity is outstanding - it's only 4x, but I've hit 1M.O.A. targets @ 600 yards with it with relative ease using a Bushmaster AR.

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=140&back_row=4&categoryID=3

As I look on the trijicon website, I cannot find the right reticle that I like in a non-dual illuminated model...Oh well - the damned things are expensive...enough to have some shock value, but I still think a man cannot find a more practical scope on the commerical market for big game hunting. If you are looking to shoot with more precision than 1-2 minutes of angle and are confident that you will need to shoot long distances (500m +), don't screw around, go with the 42x56mm nightforce.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby svizzerams » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:57 pm

Are there deer in Australia?????? I thought that was the niche occupied by kangaroos.
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Postby Aussie TJS » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:52 pm

Woodsman wrote:If you really want to know what I think is the best deer hunting scope that I've ever seen it's the ACOG

Do you still own a ACOG? I have never looked into them before as i just presumed they were for close quater combat stuff as i've only seen them mounted on AR's in military pics. In Australia we have such tight gun laws you have to be a god to be allowed to own any semi-automatic rifles (don't even consider owning an automatic). Ever since the massacre in Tasmania where that bloke Martin Bryant killed 35 people and wonded a heap more with an AR-15 and a FN FAL all my Dad and I have ever owned are bolt actions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthu ... (Australia)
I'll look more into it

svizzerams wrote:Are there deer in Australia?????? I thought that was the niche occupied by kangaroos.

Plenty of Deer in Australia. In fact we even have the 'Kangadeer'

Aussie TJS
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:16 pm

Aussie TJS wrote:Do you still own a ACOG? I have never looked into them before as i just presumed they were for close quater combat stuff as i've only seen them mounted on AR's in military pics.

Nice pic of the cervid marsupial! lol! Anyway, I never owned the ACOG...I just borrowed the rifle for a match (it had the ACOG mounted to it). You could mount one to any weaver rail - it would look strange mounted to a bolt-action, but still, the optics are great. I would suggest looking through one if you get the chance before you order - to make sure it's what you want. It all depends on what kind of country your hunting, the more open the country, the higher power scope you'll want, but the ACOG is awesome for varied terrain.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Aussie TJS » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:29 pm

Woodsman wrote:I would suggest looking through one if you get the chance before you order

Definately, especially after i saw the price.

Woodsman wrote:It all depends on what kind of country your hunting

Mainly farely open terrain.

Had you only used an ACOG on the AR? Cause at the moment i'm planning on getting a .308 which makes me think i should go a longer distance scope but you certainly have me intrigued by this ACOG. When i'm back in Oz i'll be going straight to the hunting store to see if they can bring an ACOG in

by the way i see you're from Michigan. I spent 2 months in Michigan near Gaylord. What a boring town that was. Michigans a pretty cool place though, plenty of bodies of water to go swimming in
Aussie TJS
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:03 am

Woodsman wrote:
Hitoru wrote:

Ed Zakery

Are you saying this can't be done? - Or are you saying my face looks like an ass? Because if it's the first, I can show you that it can when I get to Texas in a couple months from now...if it's the second, fucking arborist...if it's both, well then that's just highly unacceptable.

Chill out fool, Ed Zakery is what my drunk Korean friend sitting here with me was saying as we read your post ie; ed zakery "exactly"-agreeing with both your initial statements.

What's your problem dude, can't you figure out our drunken pidgin banter ?
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Hitoru » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:50 am

Tjs,

I didn't read all of the posts, so didn't see what your budget is,I really like the acog and I can't say I've ever seen a acog on a bolt gun. But here are some Chinese knock offs that work and are pretty inexpensive.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/taspmaiii3il.html
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/tasp3ruarmkt.html

I have bought a lot of stuff from cdnn, for low end stuff I give them two thumbs up. Peruse their sight and see if anything fills your needs. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/scopes.html

If you are looking for higher end stuff, Nightforce ,Leupold and U.S Optics are the shit. Sightron are supposed to be good but I've never used one.
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby bwelkk » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:42 am

Why do you want a LRF attached to your rifle? Just use a separate device. Lase the target, adjust turrets, shoot.

Also, I would recommend against an ACOG. It's way to hell and back more rugged than you'd ever need shooting 'roos. If you're not in a high-speed low-drag eating-green-berets-for-breakfast situation, you should probably just get yourself a decent 2-8x40mm Leupold.

Mildot is really nice when you understand all the capabilities a set of dots can give you and it's not that difficult to learn. Illuminated mildot would probably work well if you really need to be out at night, but if you're not in combat I don't see why you'd bother.

If you want more specific recommendations you're going to have to lay out a budget for the LRF and Glass.
bwelkk

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!