Douchebag Vest

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Douchebag Vest

Postby Magic Wombat » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:32 pm

Ok, so we have all seen this:

I didn't realize until recently how "popular" this thing is. You might as well wear a sign that says "douchebag" on it. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it can be good to be id'd as a journo/aid worker/contractor type, but sometimes it can get you unwanted attention. If you are trying to blend in to the populace this vest makes it near impossible.

So, what other types of shirts/vests/pockety clothing is out there that gives you plenty of carrying capacity, but doesn't scream "kidnap me please!"?
Magic Wombat
BFCus Regularus

Re: Douchebag Vest

Postby Mikethehack » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:06 pm

Dunno about the rest of you, but I would routinely wear the vest underneath something else to avoid unwanted attention. It's common sense. However, if I can wear it on the outside, then fine. It depends on how much gear I need to carry and how often I have to reach for it.

I use them and multipocket trousers to help spread the weight around-very handy when I have run and jump over stuff because nothing is worse than an annoying backpack putting all the weight on one part of the body. The only stuff I would have in a backpack is the stuff I don't need instantly.

Any idiot who complains about spending half an hour looking for something in a vest with 20 pockets is obviously an idiot. The smart lads keep the same stuff in the same pockets all the time and have a big enough cerebral cortex to memorise the locations. Simple, simple. I can do it with my eyes closed and can go for the draw quicker than the Duke or the man with no name.

I prefer the big, plastic zips because they are quiet and can be unzipped quickly, plus they aren't buggered up by dirt and are basically more robust than the metal variety. Strong velcro is handy, but damned noisy. Soft, clip-on plastic buttons are not bad, but avoid the metal ones. They are shiny, noisy and metal detector sensitive.

The good ones have a strong inside lining because the light stuff wears away too quickly. They also have big pockets in the back where you can put large A4 pads or bits of metal in extremis.

The vests are also very useful for travel, especially airports or buildings with lots of metal detectors. You can put all of your things that go 'ping' in them and sail past the radiographers and Diana Ross fondlers.

The downside is that they excite the trigger-happy boys on checkpoints and other places, so you learn to watch for the signals and get used to stripping down when the guns come up and the safety clips come off.

As for blending in? Are you fucking mad? They are great for blending in-if you are at a fly fishing competition or are an electrician, rigger or carpenter.

Kidnapping? What the fuck do you know about kidnapping? They won't make much of a difference. Your skin colour and other clothes will be one big red bulls eye. Another will be the fact that you aren't from the hood. That's good enough for most. More Iraqis were kidnapped by other Iraqis for money than any amount of Westerners ever were. They weren't worth the effort or the hassle. If you want a quick buck, kidnap a local. They are a quick flip investment for a few grand (in and out in a few days) and are better than waiting four long years for payback on a Westerner, if ever.
I'm not really a proper reporter, due to the chronic lack of discipline, negligible attention span, and a certain juvenile difficulty taking serious things seriously.
Andrew Mueller.
Mikethehack
Pimpmasterus Generalismus

Postby Tonne » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:15 pm

I don't hang out in places like Iraq and the lot, but in Africa I always went with those ripstop GI pants, khaki or green. Large pockets that save you a daypack. I managed to fit in half a litre of water, large map, cellphone, compass, headlight, cigarettes, paper&pen, loose cash, folding knife, small language guide, and at times even the Bradt Congo-guide. It didn't look stuffed at all and was quite comfortable. A banged up button-down shirt a few sizes too big overneath the t-shirt to hide the glock knife (best tool to open a beer ever) on the belt, and kept a big wallet with passport, money, documents underneath it on a sling. Unreachable for pickpockets. They tried but didn't even manage to open the pants' hidden buttons on the cargo pockets.
So, no need to buy this vest at all.

But to be real cool psd-style one should get 5.11 pants, a vest with at least some molle webbing, oakley sunglasses (or shrapnel-proof revision omfg Delta!!!) and a tactical cap with a nationality velcro patch and IR-reflectors on its back. Maybe a blood patch. Small backpack with molle all over the place and camelbak. Of course, don't forget the obligatory shemag that will make you blend in with the locals, nobody will ever see the westerner in you, no matter where you are from Kenia to Pakistan. It don't matter if the locals wear turbans, it will blend in nevertheless. Grow a beard that gives you that hardboiled sof operator look. Be cautious that everything you buy has a label on it that says "tactical", eg tactical pants, tactical cap, tactical "assault" pack, tactical folder, tactical watch (forgot, luminox navy seal), tactical stealth boots. Never wear black boots, they always look desert. A little multicam in your kit is not bad either. Before you take a flight stow your kit in a pelicase. If you really ARE a psd-contractor and actually work with guns be sure your secondary is stuffed in a serpa-dropleg holster on each leg (it IS low profile, perfectly suited for operating covertly even if it doesn't look like it at the first glance!) and you primary all covered with picatinny railage, got at least two lights, three lasers, a tango down foregrip and a bipod. sopmod m4-stock even if it's an ak. Only magpul mags. When will there be a tactical fashion week in Milano?

Sorry for kind of hijacking the thread but had to let it out. I am seriously p!ssed by this tactimania that often seems to be more about fashion than functionality and looks sooo ridiculous, people almost collapsing under their tactical loadout.
Tonne

Postby Magic Wombat » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Tonne, let it all out man, its therapeutic.

Did you read this? http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2010/02/1 ... e-greyman/

Yeah, I love these vests. I REALLY love these vests. Fuck backpacks. Plus, you can get the vest on and off almost as easy as a pack. I just wish I didn't feel like I had a big neon sign on when I wore it. Maybe a good alternative is taking street clothes, and sewing in pockets that don't stand out.
Magic Wombat
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:46 pm

That would look great with my 5.11 Tuxedo

~James
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby RYP » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:13 pm

naaw that's actually a fishing vest..people really use that to fish with.

if you wanna go full douche, make sure you have way too many tiny pockets full of useless shit in archaic army green:

not to be confused with Rhodie rigs which are pretty handy when blowing through large amounts of ammo at bad guys.

available in original "Walk for two weeks in the bush size"

and "Riding in the Ford Excursion Going To Burger King On the FOB" super sized:

RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby thewalrus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:18 pm

OK... the picture in the first post actually makes sense if you're a pro photographer walking around with two DSLR bodies slung off your body, and the pockets are filled with memory cards, batteries, filters, flashes, flash batteries, etc. It's not a combat vest.
thewalrus
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:21 pm

That is totally douchetastic but where's all the Velcro tabs so I can put my motivational patches on it?
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby RYP » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:29 pm

I like to put two different blood type patches on, really generates full entertainment value.
Don't forget all the shit you can put in a drop holster. (Tabasco sauce, challenge coin dispenser and goatee trimmer would be my choice) :

RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:26 pm

Magic Wombat wrote:Tonne, let it all out man, its therapeutic.

Did you read this? http://www.deathvalleymag.com/2010/02/1 ... e-greyman/

Yeah, I love these vests. I REALLY love these vests. Fuck backpacks. Plus, you can get the vest on and off almost as easy as a pack. I just wish I didn't feel like I had a big neon sign on when I wore it. Maybe a good alternative is taking street clothes, and sewing in pockets that don't stand out.

LOL...my 5.11 pack is in there.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:44 am

RYP wrote:Don't forget all the shit you can put in a drop holster. (Tabasco sauce, challenge coin dispenser and goatee trimmer would be my choice)

Bah, when i was still in the army, I could store a carton of smokes, five packs in each ammo pouch.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby Scotty » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:54 am

Speaking of "covered with picatinny railage"; when I ran out of "real estate" on my weapon, I had extra railage screwed into my skull. That way I can mount the tactical spot light on top of my head and still keep the tactical rubber ducky where it belongs. It's also great for picatinny mounted hair pieces.

I'll post pics if I get the time.
Scotty

Postby Lost Boy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:47 pm

On that note:

Image\

I especially like RYP's "Contractor's Creed" at the beginning of Hired Guns... where it says "I will trick out my M4 until it weighs more than 24 pounds, not because it works better but because it looks cooler in photos."
"If a principle exists it must be immutable, for that is what a principle is - a truth standing apart from the mood of the times." - Jeff Cooper
Lost Boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby lightstalker » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:47 am

Hold on, Im confused. I thought douche bags wore man salmon t-shirts and Italian wife beaters... The archetypal "photo vest" is not as popular with photojournalists as it once was.These days your typical snapper prefers to wear desert scarves, (preferably one that floats in the wind while you are shooting palestinians throwing rocks) Blundstones and cargo pants...
The world would be a much cleaner place if blind people used brooms instead of canes
lightstalker
Grief Tourist

Postby Woodsman » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:20 pm

For the record

this:

Is not a douchebag vest. This is a vest only worn by trained professionals who have too many tools to store in their clothing.

Make sure you understand the difference between douchebag and not douchebag.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!