Revolvers

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Revolvers

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:17 pm

Dont know, just pulled it from a google search

~James
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Hitoru » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:23 pm

Flame throwing revolver that pistol is.

And remember to watch your fingers !

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33237
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:28 pm

Sweet - I want one

~James
JamesInTheWorld

Postby Hitoru » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:01 pm

Are there any legal gun stores in Indonesia ?
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Nope

At one time you could get a gun permit – but a few years ago they 86ed that also.

Back when you could get a gun here each permit was connected to a certain gun, so you had to find someone with a gun + permit for the burner you wanted.

And because they only issued like 2000 permits before the initial private gun ownership was nixed you were lucky to buy a 25 auto + permit for 5000 US. I had a 38. revolver + permit that cost me like 8K.

Another weird thing about private ownership of guns was you had to use rubber bullets.

But like I said they ended up 86ing the guns + permits that were grandfathered in, had a cop come to my house and pick it up.

But now – no guns

~James
JamesInTheWorld

Postby ktrout » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:23 am

Chimborazo wrote:I suggest the 4"...it's the best of both worlds.

I'll keep my eyes open. Right now I have an 8" blued .357 just because it's funny. And accurate too. I think it would be a good women's HD gun. Doesn't kick much and would scare the daylights out of anyone it got "presented" to. Plus it's shiny and most women like shiny things. Just that it weighs as much as an anvil and it's not very concealable.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Atrax » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:14 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:
But like I said they ended up 86ing the guns + permits that were grandfathered in, had a cop come to my house and pick it up.

Surprised the Jakarta cops had the wherewithal to track you down like that.
Atrax
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:06 pm

You had to register the gun to your physical address that they conformed with a stop by

Cops come over to may house here all the time, I have a bunch of buddies in the fed-PD here

But now the only way to get guns is on the black market I hear

~James
JamesInTheWorld

Postby mapandcompass » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:19 pm

Unless you're planning for the Zombie Apocalypse, an extended shootout, mass murdering spree, SHTF, or you're a LEO, chances are you won't have a chance or need to fire off more than six consecutive shots anyway. While I concede that auto mouseguns (like Ruger's LCR or the KEL-TEC pistols) are probably a better overall choice for a concealed-carry, if you're just talking about "I need a handgun for defense," you can't really go wrong with a revolver.

Wheelguns are awesome. No two ways about it. Even the most profound lover of autos has to grudgingly give them respect for out-of-box reliability, straightforward design, and the ability to digest (with a very small number of exceptions) any ammo of the appropriate caliber. Not to mention they tend to offer more power (if you might have to defend against wild animals), and there's something really truly classy about a well-made revolver. Grab a couple of speed-loaders and get familiar with your gun, and unless you're headed for a gangland shootout, rest contended. If you're walking into a gangland shootout with just a handgun... may the force be with you and Mr. Charles Darwin might be having a very serious conversation with your corpse shortly.

The Hi-cap autos are cool. They're modern looking, and have been tweaked to the point of boring reliability (i.e. GLOCK and SIG). But they demand a certain level of practice (as with any weapon) that most folks frankly are NOT going to put in. Range time for a semi-auto is expensive, keeping an auto clean is more time consuming, and most importantly, they're tougher to safety-check. An acquaintance of mine from highschool accidentally killed himself when he failed to thoroughly safety-check his auto pistol. RIP Will.
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:18 pm

Glock, et.al. = light weight, high capacity, ability to carry compact flash light built right in.

Revolvers= Heavy as a fucking anchor (except the scandium and titanium ones), low capacity, lucky if you can even change out the rear sight, but the one good thing is that they can be had in cartridges that would blow the Glock, et.al apart in one shot...

.44mag
.460 Ruger
.475 Linebaugh
.500 S&w
etc.
etc.
etc.

Great for close quarter combat defense against raging water buffalos!

LOL - I'm just kidding you guys, I like to shoot any guns, even bb guns. They're all very enjoyable to shoot. I particularly like the model 629 S&W, but I really have no use for another handgun now.

I am down to one gun right now: A Glock 29SF. It holds 9+1 reliably, is fairly compact, extremely lightweight even with a light mounted - and 10mm is a good versatile round (for defense and hunting). After having taken the ridiculous 5.5 lb. connector out of it and replacing that with a 3.5 lb., a very careful polish job on quite a few various internal components, the trigger is pretty good (not single action good, but surprisingly good). I wish it had a safety that blocked the trigger as an added safety feature, but after having carried it day after day for the last 2 1/2 months in an IWB holster I personally made for the gun, the trigger doesn't go off unless you pull it intentionally.

Another cool thing about this glock is the ability to change out the barrel to a .40 S&W or 9mm, or to change the configuration of barrel (longer, shorter, threaded, etc.) all available on the aftermarket. For example, I have a .22LR conversion kit that is nothing more than a slide assembly and a mag change: Change in 15 seconds, viola, .22LR for cheap plinking, small game, target shooting, etc. I am tickled pink with this combo.

I have no short term plans on purchasing another gun, although one of these days I am going to spend big money on an Alexander Arms marksman AR in 6.5 Grendel and a couple of good scopes (ACOG 4x + Nightforce 30x)....but until I have an extra $6k in my pocket that I want to spend on arms, I'm gonna pass on any other firearm purchases.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lost Boy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:34 pm

mapandcompass wrote:Unless you're planning for the Zombie Apocalypse, an extended shootout, mass murdering spree, SHTF, or you're a LEO, chances are you won't have a chance or need to fire off more than six consecutive shots anyway.

How many people actually plan for an extended shootout?
mapandcompass wrote:While I concede that auto mouseguns (like Ruger's LCR or the KEL-TEC pistols) are probably a better overall choice for a concealed-carry,

You'll never, ever hear about anyone who's been in a gunfight and later say they wish they'd had a smaller gun for it.
mapandcompass wrote: if you're just talking about "I need a handgun for defense," you can't really go wrong with a revolver.

See my post about malfunctions. You can't really go wrong with a revolver... until that one faulty delayed discharge blows up the frame, and maybe your hand.
mapandcompass wrote:Grab a couple of speed-loaders and get familiar with your gun, and unless you're headed for a gangland shootout, rest contended.

Otherwise, feel free to brown your pants. When did you expect to need a weapon for self defense?
mapandcompass wrote:The Hi-cap autos are cool. They're modern looking, and have been tweaked to the point of boring reliability

I thought that was the whole point.
mapandcompass wrote:An acquaintance of mine from highschool accidentally killed himself when he failed to thoroughly safety-check his auto pistol. RIP Will.

With respect to your friend, "Rule 1" applies regardless of what kind of gun your handling.
"If a principle exists it must be immutable, for that is what a principle is - a truth standing apart from the mood of the times." - Jeff Cooper
Lost Boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby mapandcompass » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:50 pm

Hey there LostBoy,
I stand largely corrected or at the least, heavily adjusted. Your rebuttals are all quite reasonable, particularly regarding Rule #1. I chalk Will up to natural selection at the end of the day, learn from his error, and obviously can't logically place blame on the gun. It was his own damn fault.

And yes, if you shoot long enough, you will encounter hang-fires, and yes, statistically speaking, eventually one will end up in your carry cylinder. Don't read my overall perspective wrong; I love me some semi-autos, particularly the SIG-SAUER line of firearms, and it would be laughable to try and put them down. So yes, assuming the primary quarry is Homo sapiens, I'd personally go with a SIG p226 chambered in .40SW or .357SIG.

If I recall correctly, the OP inquired as to whether mag-fed pistols were truly preferable to revolvers. Overall, especially in light of your points, I'd say, yes, they are. (With the notable exception of defending against/hunting large game, when you will want the extra power available in revolvers). At the end of the day, though, a revolver in practiced hands can make the bad guy just as dead as any semi-auto on the market. And at some level, it's important that the OP gets a gun that he's going to enjoy (and don't kid yourself, aesthetics play a huge role in choosing a weapon). If the OP happens to particularly like revolvers (I believe a S&W 7-shooter was mentioned), I guess I am kind of just trying to encourage him to buy more guns.

So yeah. If he's only going to buy one handgun and he expects more trouble from humans than from hungry critters, an auto would be a smart way to go. Point taken.
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:38 pm

Hitoru wrote:Flame throwing revolver that pistol is.

And remember to watch your fingers !

They had the same gun on Myth Busters to see if the myth that it blew a guys finger off because he was gripping the cylinder when it was fired

Turns out its true

~James
JamesInTheWorld

Postby lmetrucking » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:56 am

Chimborazo wrote:
tonelar wrote:On my '73 Single Action Army revolvers, however, I always load them so an empty chamber is under the hammer. In case anyone here doesn't know, a SAA revolver hammer/firing pin rests on the primer of a chambered round if you load all 6 cylinders.

Is this still the case on the newer Ruger Vaquero's? I seem to remember them even being able to retrofit the old ones with some sort of block between the hammer and the primer which is moved by pulling the trigger.

Edited to add: The S&W 686 is hands down my favorite revolver.

The Ruger Vaqueros have a transfer bar safety, so you can carry them safely with 6 rounds. The same with the Blackhawks,(except for the very old ones,1950's)
At least that Cleric is not obsessed with cocks and things that might be thought of as cocks by a cock obsessed person.- Kurt
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:41 pm

Lost Boy wrote:You'll never, ever hear about anyone who's been in a gunfight and later say they wish they'd had a smaller gun for it.

On the other hand, most people aren't going to want to carry a .454 Casul revlover concealed. I used to carry a double stack kimber .45 - it was a great gun - very accurate with the ability to produce groups with reasonable precision at range - but that damned thing was tough to conceal. The good thing about the small guns (like the PF9 kel-tec or .380 Ruger) is that they are there when you need them - and let's be honest - you aren't likely to need them at all!

It's a trade off: weight or firepower. Personally, I believe there are plenty of choices to achieve both today. A Scandium .357 in a revolver for example, or many semi autos in 9mm up.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!