alaska?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

alaska?

Postby zomb1elvis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:38 pm

hi, i was thinking of going treking in alaska in 11 or most likely 12 and even though the trips in the early planing stages ive spoke to a few people and sent a few emails about equipment and alot of them recomend i get bear mace AND a gun. this is a bit of a problem for me being a brit and having no experince of guns what so ever i thought it would be good idea to ask some of the pros for there advice.
zomb1elvis

Re: alaska?

Postby Hitoru » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:51 pm

Not being a U.S. citizen you cannot legally possess a firearm here. You can have an American carry it for you if you feel it's necessary. Mace should be legal, but I know nothing about it's effectiveness on bears.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Sri Lanky » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:52 pm

It's very,very effective on humans.
Sri Lanky

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:02 pm

Here is something a buddy of mine write about Bear Mase: http://tomahawksurvival.com/2010/01/02/ ... ear-spray/

Also if you don’t know how to use a gun then you shouldn’t carry one dude

~James
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Sri Lanky » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:16 pm

We frequently go to incidences where a whole apartment block will be sprayed with bear mace as it is a favourite tool of gangbangers. We'll go in with our SCBA and get people out of their apartments while they cover up with a shirt or a towel. I remember one guy who was completely oblivious to the mace. I've seen how it affects people....a person will hurl themselves out of a window to get away from it. Anyways,we were yelling at this fuckin' guy. "Can't you feel it!!?". Must have been on something stronger than bear mace. Meth?
Sri Lanky

Postby HockeyGuy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:02 pm

Sri Lanky wrote:We frequently go to incidences where a whole apartment block will be sprayed with bear mace as it is a favourite tool of gangbangers. We'll go in with our SCBA and get people out of their apartments while they cover up with a shirt or a towel. I remember one guy who was completely oblivious to the mace. I've seen how it affects people....a person will hurl themselves out of a window to get away from it. Anyways,we were yelling at this fuckin' guy. "Can't you feel it!!?". Must have been on something stronger than bear mace. Meth?

where is this?
HockeyGuy
BFCus Regularus

Postby mapandcompass » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:03 pm

To revamp this thread a bit, I have a similar but different question. First off, I'm not a Brit. I'm a Texan. I AM going to Alaska this summer. I will be out approximately 1 month, and plan to do small game hunting/trapping/fishing for the majority of my food supply. I WILL be carrying gun(s), and would consider myself very familiar with firearms in general.

I'm traveling in a party of four, and these are my personal weapons I'm taking:
- Food/critter rifle (Marlin model 60 .22LR)
- Sidearm (SSteel Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum loaded up with Garrett Hammerhead +P)
- 9oz. Bear Spray

Up for consideration:
Remington .30-06 BDL (blued, 5-shot cap, open-sights)

Here's my opinion question for the BFC: Since I am NOT planning on hunting any large game, is it worthwhile to tote along the extra 10+lbs. of .30-06 and ammo? I would only ever shoot a bear or moose in self defense, after the pepper spray failed or could not be deployed due to wind conditions. In such an event, I see myself going for my six-gun instead of a bolt-action rifle which could be tricky to use in thick brush and requires both hands to operate. Another consideration is the fact that the .30-06 is blued steel and would require daily maintenance, while the other guns can handle more abuse.

Just the same, that rifle is a big can of whoop-ass should the need arise. I value the opinions of BFC and the advice of anyone with experience in the AK brush especially.

Note: other weapons in the group include two 12-gauge pumps and a Mosin-Nagant carbine (chambered in 7.62x54R), and 3 more canisters of bear spray, so we wouldn't be hurting for long-guns or seasoning ;)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this topic.
-M&C
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby Sri Lanky » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:12 pm

"where is this?".....well,HockeyGuy,if you know Winnipeg it occured in the west Broadway area so it was most likely those little fuckers from the B-side gang. Most of these incidences are in the north end however.....go figure.
Sri Lanky

Postby bearfood » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:47 am

Peter Hofer Special Shotgun Caliber 12 or 20 or 28 with hidden third rifle barrel in caliber .17HMR

While hunting wildfowl with this special shotgun you would also be able to shoot a precisely aimed bullet at a distance of 150m from the rifle barrel hidden under the rib between the two shotgun barrels.

or this one here, probably suit a Tejano better,

Special funfling (five barrels)

Special five barrel rifle in calibre: 12/12 9,3x74 6,5x65 22 5,6x50
or cal. 20/20 8x75 6,5x65 22 Hornet

and more at this pimpin' dudes place,
http://hoferwaffen.com/hofer_1.php?lang=en
bearfood

Postby mapandcompass » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:47 am

Bearfood, Hell yeah! Those are some awesome long-guns.

That 5-barreler... whew! I've never seen anything like that... the far distant cousin would be the .410/.22 O/U Savage(?) my uncle had years ago.

Ultimately I think that when I do my full-pack trials (2-3 days of toting it around Oregon), I will make a command decision as to whether I can bear the additional weight of the .30-06 + 40x ammo. At the worst, the group will downsize to one high-powered rifle and I will carry extra cartridges for it, having a sidearm for defense. The .22 and shotguns are expected to see the most use for camp hunting. If we have to resort to hunting big game for survival (assuming we become atrocious navigators and can't find our way out), we'll still have a very serious rifle to fall back on and plenty of ammo.
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!