Sig Sauer P250

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Sig Sauer P250

Postby Jäeger » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:10 am

Managed to pick up a Sig Sauer P250 for $350 with an old Ruger Security Six thrown in free, so a good deal all around as I knew I'd like the Ruger anyway. I put some rounds (.40 and 9mm) through the SIG and so far, so good, but I was wondering what the board thinks about the SIG (excepting the loooooong trigger pull) and what to watch out for if I convert it to fire .45ACP or .357 Mag.
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Re: Sig Sauer P250

Postby Hitoru » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:18 am

It sounds like a steal to me you commie.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Jäeger » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:33 am

I'm not sure but I think a D-I-V-O-R-C-E may have been involved, but when I'm making a deal I try not to ask too many questions.
Jäeger
In Last Chance Saloon

Postby ktrout » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:29 am

Sweet deal, but since you have one that already takes the cheapest and most plentiful ammunition, why would you want to convert it to use the opposite?
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:53 pm

That is a steal...I wouldn't bother with the .357 sig conversion. The round is less than popular and really doesn't offer the power the .357 magnum does. I don't know enough about those pistols to suggest what to "look out for", as I suspect the thing has been designed to feed and function properly with all of the conversions it is capable of.

I will be getting a .40 S&W barrel eventually for my G29 for the sole purpose of ammo procurement, should the social climate head REALLY South, but I like 10mm so much more, I won't leave that round unless it gets to a point that it just becomes impossible to find components for (unlikely to happen soon).

The .22LR conversion is lots and lots of fun too - and can be shot with very little cash.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:06 pm

Lucky bastard. I'd stick to 9mm on that one though...I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable putting high pressure rounds like .40 through it, but maybe I'm being overly cautious.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lost Boy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:06 pm

Sigs are reliable and usually won't let you down. But the long trigger pull is a big detractor by my estimation. With any firearm, the single greatest factor that affects user accuracy is the trigger pull-weight and how smoothly it breaks. For this reason, I prefer single action pistols such as the 1911, especially when you can get one with a perfect 3.5 lb trigger pull that is perfectly crisp with just a couple of millimeters of slack. Every trigger pull feels the same, and accuracy is greatly improved. With double-action pistols, your first shot is anywhere from 8-14 lbs, and then your second shot is 4-5 lbs. If you are training to do a Mozambique Drill, This can make it very difficult to have good shot placement.

Jeff Cooper advocated using a certain technique for defensive pistol shooting (if you have a double action pistol) that involves shooting the first round blindly downrange as you are bringing your pistol to bear from the holster, just so that it cocks your hammer back for a more accurate shot when you have actually assumed your stance. Although I agree with most of what the man said, I'd have to disagree with this one. As a shooter, you're legally and morally responsible to account for every round that leaves your muzzle.

With lots of dry practice, the accuracy problem with the double-action handicap can be compensated for.

Really good deal, though. Congrats on that.

Any pics?
"If a principle exists it must be immutable, for that is what a principle is - a truth standing apart from the mood of the times." - Jeff Cooper
Lost Boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:07 pm

I don’t like double action semi-autos – but the SEALS seem to like the SIG

~James
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Lost Boy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:24 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:I don’t like double action semi-autos – but the SEALS seem to like the SIG

~James

I don't know any SEALs personally. I know some SF guys, and they are hard core 1911 users. None of them like the Beretta, Sigs, or Glocks. They call them 'combat tupperware.'
"If a principle exists it must be immutable, for that is what a principle is - a truth standing apart from the mood of the times." - Jeff Cooper
Lost Boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:59 pm

I like 'em all. The best gun is the one you have with you.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Lost Boy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Woodsman wrote:I like 'em all. The best gun is the one you have with you.

True. Any is better than none. But when you can pick...
Lost Boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Lost Boy wrote:
JamesInTheWorld wrote:I don’t like double action semi-autos – but the SEALS seem to like the SIG

~James

I don't know any SEALs personally. I know some SF guys, and they are hard core 1911 users. None of them like the Beretta, Sigs, or Glocks. They call them 'combat tupperware.'

All the SEALS I know are 90’s era ones, but pretty much all of them rock a Sig

I also prefer the 1911 for semi-autos

~James
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Ultra Swain » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:45 am

Having put several thousand rounds of .45 acp through my P220 I never had a jam, even using range ammo. They are just superb weapons. But, I am not a SEAL or cop, bounty hunter, contractor, hitman, or zombie killer so my opinion is not super tactical, you really can't go wrong with German engineering and craftsmanship.
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby svizzerams » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:42 pm

Jäeger wrote:Managed to pick up a Sig Sauer P250 for $350 with an old Ruger Security Six thrown in free, so a good deal all around as I knew I'd like the Ruger anyway. I put some rounds (.40 and 9mm) through the SIG and so far, so good, but I was wondering what the board thinks about the SIG (excepting the loooooong trigger pull) and what to watch out for if I convert it to fire .45ACP or .357 Mag.

hmmmm I wonder if that is my Ruger Security Six that was stolen in 1999 ;-)
Joan of Arc went to battle with nothing
but the voices in her head
and a well-sharpened sword ~ Charlotte

...those without swords can still die upon them...

Illegitami non carborundum est
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!