New Toy: PS 90 SBR

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: New Toy: PS 90 SBR

Postby Hitoru » Fri May 28, 2010 12:51 am

I don't know wich I would prefer, the MP5 we shoot has been having FTF problems and the H&K armorer that checked it out hasn't figured out what is wrong.

If you dont mind me asking - how much did it cost?

~James G

Around $2300. with the short barrel installed. Plus the $200 tax.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/ind ... =1&cat=113
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri May 28, 2010 5:12 am

2300 - not too bad

Woodsman wrote:
If someone were to say hey - you've got an executive protection gig now - would you like a PS90 or a HK MP5-10 which would you prefer?

If those were my only choices I would go with the MP-5, not necessarily cuz it’s a better gun – I have a bunch of experience with the MP5, never fired a PS90

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Caliban » Sun May 30, 2010 12:08 pm

MP5 for the same reasons as JITW
"If you sit still the birds shit on you, even Buddha, life's short so get out there and do something"
"My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?" Snoopy
Caliban
Oeconomus Cum Vagus

Postby inside-out » Mon May 31, 2010 3:02 am

saw a ps 90 at gander mountain this weekend for $1700. had a nice feel, i liked the optic. would love to try one. cant wait for the fn scar 17 to come out later this summer.
play defense inside-out
inside-out
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Mon May 31, 2010 3:29 am

What, you're not stocking them as a ffl dealer ?
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby inside-out » Mon May 31, 2010 3:53 am

screw the ffl. i talked to the resident agent at my local atf field office and explained what i wanted to do. she told me it wouldn't be a problem to get the license. she was going to mail me the applications that i needed. in the meantime i bought new in box sig 556 swat patrol at academy ($1199). They were going for at least 1600 on gunbroker so i thought i'll get my start in the gun biz by turning it over and getting some positive feedback. i sold it for 1400. it was a pain in the ass. btw, she never sent the application. so i guess i'll just have to pay a couple of hundred dollars extra when i get a new toy. i did go back and get another 556 for myself though.
play defense inside-out
inside-out
BFCus Regularus

Postby vetparatrooper » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:07 am

Speaking of New Toys...I just got a new Glock 19 for myself as a Christmas gift and I would like to know what the best red laser sight would be for it...I have heard and read various "experts" say what they think but anyone who actually owns one and has some field knowledge of which is the best...well, your input would be appreciated. I am going to be using this gun primarily as a C&C weapon as I just got my permit and it is way lighter and more compact than my slightly Older High Point 9MM. Plus it is way cooler to have a Glock on your side anyway;). I have been looking at the UTG Combat Tactical W/E Adjustable Red Laser Sight with Weaver Ring as well as the SureStrike Red Laser for Weaver Base Mount both of which will fit the 19. I am just wondering if there are any others out there worth looking into?

Also, should I stay with the fixed sights that came on the gun or should I spring for the adjustable sights from Glock? I have fired it with the fixed sights and I think it is damned accurate so far but the Glock website says that the adjustable sights are better although they do not necessarily give a reason why. i guess at greater distances perhaps accuracy could be the reason but with a 9MM it is not like I am going to be shooting at anything much beyond 15-25 yds max (at least for utility purposes....maybe to show off I might want to shoot at targets that are farther away) ....and so far at those approx. distances the fixed sights work pretty daggone well. just wondering if there is some other possible reason for the adjustable sights supposedly being more preferrable?

Sorry I poached your PS 90 SBR topic but nobody has used it in a while and being new here I did not want to start a whole new topic just on this one topic I had a question about. Nice little weapon you got yourself there. by the Way inside-out, Did you manage to get all the FFL stuff straight? Just curious as to how it all went for you. I am almost done completing my Gunsmith certification and I plan on applying for the FFL so I can refurbish older weapons and sell them as well as sell some new weapons once I get established and was wondering what type of bee-yatch it was to get it exactly?
Conlige suspectos semper habitos
vetparatrooper
BFCus Regularus

Location: Mountains somewhere in the Appalachians (other than that, my exact location is nobody's bizness)

Postby Rhah » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:07 pm

vetparatrooper wrote:Speaking of New Toys...I just got a new Glock 19 for myself as a Christmas gift and I would like to know what the best red laser sight would be for it

Take a hard look at the Crimson Trace laser grips for the Glock. They really don't add much bulk to the firearm at all and the laser is fully adjustable for windage/elevation. There is also Laser Max which replaces the guide rod/recoil spring assembly, so the laser is all internal. But I have seen some problems with the switch on the Laser Max: not turning "on" correctly and such. Never seen any problems with Crimson Trace

As far as the sights go, if this is a carry gun forget the adjustable sights. Get a set of Trijicon night sights, much, much more rugged and worth every penny.

Also welcome to the Flag
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby vetparatrooper » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks for the Information Rhah. I checked out both the crimson trace and the Laser Max. I think I am going to opt for the Crimson Trace. They are getting much better reviews anyway and I think they wil be much easier to install. Plus am I right in reading that the laser can be set to come on right at the moment you take a good grip on the pistol? If so, that is exactly what I was wanting. Anyway, just looking around now for the best price. Again, thanks for the suggestions. And you are quite right, I am going to opt for now for the from the factory fixed sights. Maybe ina while I will opt for the Trijicons or something similar. I jhave already looked into those options and I just do not see a need right now. My eyesight is better than average at night and with the laser I should be okay if I have to take a quick aim in the dark. Plus, as I said I have already fired about 200 rounds with it just in the 3 days I have taken it out to the range since I got it and the shot groupings look hella-good even with just the fixed sights. I will do some night firing with the Laser grips once I get those and see how things look but so far I am pretty happy with my purchase.
vetparatrooper
BFCus Regularus

Location: Mountains somewhere in the Appalachians (other than that, my exact location is nobody's bizness)

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:52 pm

A laser? Really?

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby vetparatrooper » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:39 pm

yeah why not?
vetparatrooper
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:15 pm

vetparatrooper:

I have used a Insight laser/light combo (XL3 IIRC) on my G29, but it doesn't fit on there very well. I am interested in selling it (it's LED equipped) - but it would fit the G19 even worse.

Personally, I think it is much more important to have a light than a laser, but if you can have both, it's better yet.

Lasers are excellent tools for point-shoot training and is one of the top 3 ways to determine the precision of a pistol (ransom rest would be #1 and scope mount #2).

The first time I used a laser, I was amazed what kind of precision I could get out of the pistol just by aiming the dot and pulling the trigger - and it is a LOT faster than looking at irons or any other site as well.

My suggestion is to see if you can find one of those units that replaces the recoil spring assembly in the G19. They are $$$, but they put the laser path closer to the bore so there is less adjustment to meet the poi across the trajectory.

That being said, if you're solely using at less than 25y, you could get any reasonably decent rail mount laser system and set it in the middle of the short (20') and long (25') trajectories so that no matter the distance under 25 yards, you will hit the range of what you are shooting at - you will see what I mean when you install the thing and start shooting with it.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby vetparatrooper » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:38 pm

oh yeah I have already seen the set ups with the lasers that replace the recoil spring...those are super nice and on such a compact weapon they take up no space....but you are right in saying they are mucho money...cheapest one I found so far I think was about 329 bucks...Anyway, i might wait and get something like that...it is not as if the laser is an absolute necessity right now..I was just wanting to see what people thought of them with respect to the Glock....And you are right....lasers are great for point and shoot training...again that is why i said I would opt out of the trijicons probably and just get the laser....but the more I look around, the more I might spring for the Trijicon sights because I can get a set of those for only about 89 USD.

I am pretty good with a pistol but hey who does not always want a little extra edge if they can get it right? Worse thing that happens is that I spend too much money and get EVERYTHING possible mounted on the little bugger and then I hate the way it looks and feels and end up taking all of it off and throwing it all up on Ebay for sale...or it all winds up sitting in my gun safe unused

... Anyway, I am just looking around at gear right now and I will get the right thing when and if I see what I want....thanks to everyone for the tips though . I guess I have wasted enough people's time on this subject...

By the way Woodsman, I am interested in how much you might want for the G29 by the way....Just curious.....If you want to PM me the details like how far away you might live from me and all that (After all, I would hafta factor in how far I would have to go to pick up the daggone thing or how much it would be to have it shipped to me right?) I might be interested in it if it is the right price. I am always looking for good and/or malfunctiong-pieces-of-crap used Guns anyway as I am studying to become a certified Gunsmith and am always looking for the right weapons on which to practice certain things.
vetparatrooper
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:17 pm

vetparatrooper wrote:By the way Woodsman, I am interested in how much you might want for the G29 by the way....Just curious.....If you want to PM me the details like how far away you might live from me and all that (After all, I would hafta factor in how far I would have to go to pick up the daggone thing or how much it would be to have it shipped to me right?) I might be interested in it if it is the right price. I am always looking for good and/or malfunctiong-pieces-of-crap used Guns anyway as I am studying to become a certified Gunsmith and am always looking for the right weapons on which to practice certain things.

The G29 isn't for sale - I was just thinking of selling the Insight X2L (I mistakenly wrote xl3 above) light - it would work best on a subcompact like a sub-XD or a PF-9 - it's designed for a very compact short rail. They come with a crappy incandescent bulb that might put out 60 lumens on a cave dark night but I replaced it with a 140 lumen LED that is designed for a 2AA maglite. It puts out a LOT more light now (and especially in the peripheral), with quite a bit more battery life.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:25 pm

vetparatrooper, I think you're doing things in the wrong order. Put the Trijicons on first, and do the laser later (if at all). The Trijicons are not just stock sites with tritium inserts...they actually look different. The sooner you get them on there and get used to them, the better. Not only that, but a laser has a much higher chance of failure than tritium sights.

Here they are next to each other:
ImageImage

EDIT: Just noticed and think it's funny that in both photos the rear sights are in focus, not the front.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!