(Free?) Reloader for tube-mag Marlin model 60 .22 rifle

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

(Free?) Reloader for tube-mag Marlin model 60 .22 rifle

Postby mapandcompass » Wed May 05, 2010 5:51 am

Was thinking about ways to organize my ammo and reload my tube-magazine Marlin 60 faster... this occurred to me. It certainly isn't rocket-science and one probably doesn't save much time overall, but at least this saves you from fumbling around with small, loose cartridges while in the field. And it seems that it would provide a significant degree of moisture protection by compartmentalizing smaller units of ammo.

What you'll need:
fast-food drinking straws wide enough to accommodate .22LR (these tend to larger than the kind you can get at the grocery)
plenty of .22 cartridges
duct-tape
scissors
sharpie

To make:
1. Fold over a 1" end of a drinking straw to close an end. Tape it in place.
2. Use Sharpie to boldly mark the closed end (this will designate the primer end of the cartridge-stack when you use the tube).
3. Load straw with desired number of .22 LR cartridges, primer first. 7 is a logical number for my Marlin (14 capacity).
4. Account for another 1" of fold-over length on the open side of the straw, and trim excess material. Fold over top, and tape in place.
5. Repeat until desired number of quick-load tubes are made. Hold together with rubber bands in a "log" of ammo.

To use:
1. Pull the spring-loaded magazine rod all the way out.
2. Cut off bottom of reloading tube(s) sufficient to charge your weapon, on the end marked with Sharpie (primer end).
3. Hold finger over opening in tube, position open end of reloader tube into magazine.
4. Remove your finger; rounds will fall into magazine.
5. Replace spring-loaded magazine rod.
6. Either dispose of or refill empty straw.
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Re: (Free?) Reloader for tube-mag Marlin model 60 .22 rifle

Postby Woodsman » Wed May 05, 2010 1:08 pm

Why would you want to reload a marlin 60 quicker?

I used to have a marlin 60. Then later I had a marlin 70pss (that was the one I liked). It had a fold up stock and became no more than 15" long. The internals are a pain in the ass to sweeten because there is such a small surface area between hammer/sear/trigger parts. It still shot very well - and was portable, but I really have no idea why I would want to load that thing quicker.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Re: (Free?) Reloader for tube-mag Marlin model 60 .22 rifle

Postby mapandcompass » Wed May 05, 2010 7:07 pm

You have a point, but I guess I primarily liked that it would largely save me from fishing around for and fumbling with individual tiny cartridges with wet, numb fingers.
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!