DPx Gear H•E•S•T/F FOLDER

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: DPx Gear H•E•S•T/F FOLDER

Postby jacktrades_nbk » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:14 pm

just for the discussion, and curiosity, about the pin thickness
the way I see it, the thick part of the pin goes through the scale with the G-10, so the hole in the scale matches the diameter of the pin,and the small side of the pin goes through the a smaller hole in G-10, similar to the hole on the other scale.
the pin does have a slight movement side to side, and so, sometimes it stick a bit out on the G-10 side
I think this is because it was meant to move and rotate for equal wear, but i could be wrong
It would have stayed firmly in place if the thick part was just a bit longer, and the pin side a bit shorter, so it wouldn't move inside the thinner titanium scale, if that makes any sense, somewhat like in the picture below
now if a thinner pin would be installed, it would have a gap in the hole of the scale, and will rest only in the hole in the G-10
for the pin to rest on the scale and not on the G-10, it would have to be thicker at that side, and thinner only where the blade sits, or a washer of equal thickness to the scale would have to be installed in the scale hole, and the thick part of the pin would be shorter
I don't know if my explaining makes any sense, anyway, Im curious for the solution for the production version

http://img196.imageshack.us/i/img6035b.jpg/
http://img717.imageshack.us/i/img6036p.jpg/
http://img801.imageshack.us/i/img6037n.jpg/
http://img560.imageshack.us/i/piniw.jpg/

Steven K.'s pics show better what I'm trying to say :D

DPx Gun Club\Tribe member
jacktrades_nbk

Re: First HEST/F LE to be abducted by the police?

Postby Thrill » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:47 pm

JarheadJournalist wrote:I was on my way back to base after covering a training exercise in a combat town in southern Germany. Normally I carry my leatherman here since I know the laws forbid a one-handed opener. But, since I was in the field for a few days and would only be in German territory for the car ride there and back, I decided to give my HES/F a work out. Mistake. I was pulled over on the way home for a missing sticker on my plates, which the police realized, after calling it in, I didn't need since I was in a government vehicle. I was released, but not before he asked to see my pocket knife. All I have left to show for it now is this stupid piece of German paper work. Enjoy the new knife Polizei, and don't mind the automatic weapon in the trunk. (it was properly locked away and stored)

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af2 ... 0001-1.jpg

Sorry, didn't feel like resizing the image to properly show it here. Not really much to look at anyway.

Damn, that really bites the big one!!! Sorry for your loss; hopefully you'll be able to get it back somehow. My LE #97 is at the Post Office now, so I'm my way to pick her up and give my opinion.
Thrill

Postby DocBurN » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:59 pm

Opening a knife with one hand saved my life once.. so i cant understand that german law..

I made my first trip to Berlin last year with a folder in my pocket.. i wasn't aware at all about this! [it was a crappy folder so, not the same as loosing an HEST/f]
Un grand prophete a dit: Mange de la marde tabarnak de cowliss..
DocBurN

Postby sdg » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:35 pm

Damn, Jarhead. So sorry for your loss. I too will have a drink in it's honor.
-Steve
sdg

Postby jacktrades_nbk » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:23 pm

Just an idea for future DPX products, after reading what happened to the knife of our colleague here, JarheadJournalist
I would sure like to see in the future a HEST folder that is a slipjoint, of course, with a hard spring, like a douk douk, or like an alox SAK and two handed opening at first glance.
It could have a similar external locking pin like the extrema ratio rao backup lock, that could also be used as a removable thumb stud for one had opening
with the pin in the blade hole, it can be opened one hand, and with the pin in handle, is a fixed blade
I think that would be legal quite almost everywhere
the blade would remain the same, maybe could be a bit shorter (still for legality), but of equal thickness to the original
well, is just an idea anyway
DPx Gun Club\Tribe member
jacktrades_nbk

Postby Jeffjuice3886 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:32 pm

Interesting, the worlds laws on knives seem to just be getting more and more strict. Jarhead, is there anything you can do like asking the US embassy to retrieve your knife/ask them to atleast have it mailed back to your home?

Some interesting info re: Germany's knife laws via wiki [I know not the most credible, but the quickest :p and decent for this discussion]
---------------------------------------
German law explicitly forbids a few types of knives and regards other types of knives as weapons.
German law defines a weapon to be any item that is intended to reduce or eliminate the ability of a person to attack another person or to defend themselves. Example: A bayonet is intended to injure or kill people, hence it is regarded as a weapon by the law, while a machete is regarded as a tool to clear dense vegetation. A knife with a two-sided blade and a switchblade which is not illegal as described below are always regarded as weapons. Sabres and similar items are regarded as weapons.
German law explicitly lists the following knives as being illegal to manufacture, import, sell or possess:
Butterfly knives
Gravity knives
Push daggers
Switchblade knives are the only knives where the law makes restrictions on the length of the knife:
All OTF switchblade knives are regarded as illegal to possess.
All side-opening switchblade knives are illegal, except when the blade is no longer than 8.5 cm
The law makes an exception for push daggers: These knives may be owned and used by owners of a hunting permit, or by members of the fur industry.
All weapons are subject to restrictions, including a minimum age of the owner, they have to be stored properly and may not be carried at certain public events. All knives that are not illegal or regarded as weapons can be purchased, owned and carried by anyone.
--- BUT-----
In February 2008 a new law was passed which outlaws the carrying of certain types of knives without commonly awarded purpose:
All switchblades, even those formerly allowed for carrying.
All locking folders with one-handed opening mechanism. If the knife has just one of these two features, it is still legal.
All blades over 12.0 cm.
- otf and gravity knives
- butterfly knives/balisongs
- knives with knuckle duster handles
- switchblades with a blade length of more than 8.5cm and a blade width of less than 20% the blade length in the middle of the blade (basically a ban on those slim stilettos)
- hidden weapons meaning knives and other weapons disguised as everyday items; including but not limited to sword-sticks, belt buckle knives, and even those goofy plastic hair brushes with a hidden plastic knife

Under the following circumstances knives are considered weapons:
- blade is double edged
- sawback might also count as double edged
- the knife is intended to be a weapon, e.g. the manufacturer says so (e.g. Kabar TDI is sold as a weapon, so it is seen as a weapon despite the short blade length)
- knife is a switchblade
Weapons are only to be carried in locked containers. Weapons of any kind are not to be carried when attending public events, because carring weapons in such cases violates the right of assembly. The right of assembly only grants the right to assemble peacefully, i.e. without weapons.

The following knives may not be carried outside of a locked container without legal reason (includes job, sport, and knives as a part of traditional/national costume, and also for socially adequate use - whatever that is supposed to mean; I'd stick to one of the other, more palpable reasons):
- locking folders that can be opened one handed
- fixed blades with a blade length above 12cm

You can carry any of the following knives without legal reason:
- non-locking folders
- two handed opening knives, regardless of blade length or locking mechanism
- fixed blades with a blade length of 12cm and under

Knives and other dangerous items (including axes, batons, and even eggs) may not be carried if you attend political events like demostrations or speeches of politicians on the market, or similar.
-----------------------------------------------------
I suppose 12cm is for all blades, fixed and folded? Since I don't often see a 4.724 inch [12 cm ] folding knife [minus cold steel etc]. And I wonder if it is just the cutting edge or whole thing. Also found it interesting that if you do have a knife that it must be "in a locking container". Haven't found a definitive answer in my quick search, i wonder if that means you can use those Velcro knife wallets/pouches, or a button lock knife sheath [like those leather ones] etc. Sigh. Does anyone else find it ironic that Solingen, Germany is considered/named their "city of blades" [with companies like Boker, Wusthof, J.A. Henckels] with a rich metallurgic/sword- knives- razer manufacturing history? [Comparable to Seki and Sakai cities in Japan].

I do hope that you can get things sorted out, and hopefully they will allow you to at least send your knife home.
Jeffjuice3886

Postby skinz0021 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:22 am

Got #238 today while I was traveling to a gunshow. Left at 630am. Did the show, stopped to gamble, got almost home, stopped for a poker tourney, after 5 hours I won it. Made $700. Finally got home and found my package.......

This has to be the best knife I have hands down!!

This is a pic of my two favorite folders. Kershaw random task 1510 ($125) & hest folder.

This blade is better than I could ever expect. I have yet to stop drooling!!

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab13 ... c533ac.jpg
RYP-
working this thread harder than a two dollar hooker on shore leave is not going to speed up the delivery
skinz0021

Postby JarheadJournalist » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:37 pm

I checked, and SOFA status doesn't help with the knife confiscation. However, after talking with the polizei, I may have a chance at getting it back. The city officials will review the case and determine if I was carrying it as a "tool" or a weapon. If they believe it was a tool for me, I may get it back. Figures crossed. I am drinking to it now and appreciate all your condolences. It is/was my favorite pocket knife.
If you want Peace, prepare for Warren.
JarheadJournalist

Postby RYP » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:59 pm

You let me know if we need to invade Germany to liberate your HEST. It says right on the damn thing. Hostile Environment Survival Tool.

RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby JarheadJournalist » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:31 pm

RYP wrote:You let me know if we need to invade Germany to liberate your HEST. It says right on the damn thing. Hostile Environment Survival Tool.

Will do. I went to Dachau a while back and think the HEST would have been a great tool to get the F out of there.
JarheadJournalist

Postby french_butcher » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:22 pm

Sorry for your folder Jarhead, I will think about your story the next time I go in germany ! ( I live near the border between France and Germany and I go often ).

I have a question ( maybe stupid, sorry ) to ask : for the 2nd run of Hest folder, there will a LE series Mr DP ?
DPX H.E.S.T hardcore user
french_butcher

Postby Bsmith » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:13 am

If you do get it back JHJ then you may see if the thumb studs are removable. This may make your knife legal as long as they don't realize the bottle opener acts as a wave feature.

Got mine today, and I am totally thrilled. The wife hid it from me by duct taping it inside and above my closet door. Pretty damn good hiding place! So once I found it I popped it open and to my surprise it is a totally functional size. It isn't to large nor to small. The blade has no play and locks up solidly. Pressure on the spine doesn't budge the lockbar one bit. The blade opens smoothly and with authority. I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet but I am sure it is going to handle itself as promised. I am quite pleased with the choice of d2 for the blade steel. I have used knives with this steel for the past eight years and I am very comfortable with it's characteristics. I had a d2 bladed knife with me when i was stationed in the middle of the indian ocean and never had an issue with rust even though bikes on the island would periodically break in half while people were riding them because of how readily rust started on anything metal. I think it was a great choice for this folder and it was one of the main reasons I wanted one. My only complaint with the knife is the clip. It seems a bit light on the retention. I will carry it and make a final determination regarding this very minor point in due time. If it bugs me to much I am sure I can find someone out there who can make a clip for it that is more to my liking. Great knife RYP! This one will see a good life - I promise!
Bsmith

Postby JarheadJournalist » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:06 pm

If I do get it back, I just won't carry it here anymore. I am leaving for the land of the free in a few months. Been 6 years since I have lived in the U.S. Can't wait.
JarheadJournalist

Postby t-k-c » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:36 pm

Just to let everyone know... We are taking reservations for the HEST Folder second run.
Dale

www.the-knife-connection.com - Quality knives, at real savings, shipped FREE!
t-k-c

Postby french_butcher » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:58 pm

No opportunity for a 2nd Run With Mr DP blade ?
DPX H.E.S.T hardcore user
french_butcher

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!