DPx Gear H•E•S•T/F FOLDER

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: DPx Gear H•E•S•T/F FOLDER

Postby lsheldon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:41 pm

bombaclot wrote:My lock is slipping too. I was beating the dog piss out of it on a piece of almond wood. I got through several pieces before the lock slipped, so I used the roto lock as advised and started to beat away and next thing you know I saw a big spark where the steel makes contact with the titanium.and Yup... It slipped with the lock in place. But I don't care. I still use it every day and i'm still impressed with how much abuse you could put it through. Any other folder would have broke and fallen into pieces with the way that I was treating it.

Don't get me confused, this is not at all a complaint. I wanted to push this knife to it's limit and was very impressed with how far I could take it.

Soooooo, any thoughts on how to fix this without having to bend the frame? I'm open to any suggestions. I was thinking of laser welding a little piece of titanium where the roto lock slides into place to give it a more snug fit, or should I just send it back for a tune up. what do you think? Please advise.

Batoning wood is the job of a fixed blade, not a folder. I'm not surprised the lock would fail under those conditions. Even with the rotoblock. Personally, I would never send a folder back to be "fixed" if I had abused it. But that's just me.
lsheldon

Postby Paul RevEar » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:37 am

I work with Bombaclot monday thru friday. I know this guy. He is well aware that folders are not to be batoned. But one day you may be in a situation where you have to do that and all you have is your folder. That's why we all bought this, because it's the toughest damn folder out there! Bombaclot has a Mr Dp. LE one , and a production folder. The production one he chose to 'sacrafice' just to see how much it could take. The knife is still great for all intents and purposes. I don't think any of us are surprised it slipped, but very impressed at how much abuse it took and never shattered or broke. Thanks again for an awesome EDC folder. I love mine.

Peace.
Paul RevEar

Postby RYP » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:54 am

"I was beating the dog piss out of it on a piece of almond wood."

What does not kill you makes you stronger :)) I am sure I don't have to point out that beating any knife like it owes you money is going to destroy it. But we are happy to replace it because we constantly improve and upgrade the quality and durability of the DPx HEST brand. We will be coming out with big ass beater fixed knives but we encourage you to smack the snot out of this tool and then send it in so everyone at the factory can have a look at it.

The constant hammering of the blade will degrade the area where the titanium meets the D2 steel, essentially doing a Michealangelo on the softer titanium allow using one of the world's hardest steels like a chisel. When you are ready to send it back and get it like new again let me know.

Also any locking device is going to take the full brunt of the beating as well. You don't technically need to lock a folder to hammer wood since it is designed to prevent the lockbar from being depressed during heavy work. Also if you hit close to the pin you could also shear that as well. its a simple matter to replace a pin or any other part for that matter. Once again the owner is right a knife should do what you want it to do.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby nathanwind » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:17 am

Wow impressive response RYP... I've been following this thread and was not expecting that type of open offer put out there.

I will also chime in that I have been EDC'ing my production HEST folder and it has rapidly become my favorite. My only regret is not getting one of the HEST Sterile LEs to stuff away in the safe!

Btw - what is the policy/procedure on tuneups when the time comes?
nathanwind

Postby lsheldon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:38 am

As I stated in my response, that was just my opinion. I have plenty of fixed blades to Baton with. But I suppose a time could come when I needed to rely on a fixed blade to do something it wasn't really designed for. Nice to know it can take a beating and keep on ticking.

Paul RevEar wrote:I work with Bombaclot monday thru friday. I know this guy. He is well aware that folders are not to be batoned. But one day you may be in a situation where you have to do that and all you have is your folder. That's why we all bought this, because it's the toughest damn folder out there! Bombaclot has a Mr Dp. LE one , and a production folder. The production one he chose to 'sacrafice' just to see how much it could take. The knife is still great for all intents and purposes. I don't think any of us are surprised it slipped, but very impressed at how much abuse it took and never shattered or broke. Thanks again for an awesome EDC folder. I love mine.

Peace.

Wow, I'm impressed with the response as well.. Good on ya RYP.....
lsheldon

Postby Paul RevEar » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:24 am

RYP, thanks for your input on the situation! That's awesome.
Paul RevEar

Postby Tripton » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:18 pm

Is there any chance of upcoming versions of the HEST/F getting a lock face that is not cut quite as steep?

Seems that would cure the issue of having the lockbar sliding off the face.

The face is steep, and the blade is thick, and the titanium has a hard time keeping enough spring in it to fully engage the lock, IMO.
The rest of the knife is great, but the lock is not exactly trustworthy.

Im just hoping that maybe there is a HEST/F 2.0 in the works with a few updates.

With customer service like DPx has shown, it really isnt anything to worry about (so long as you keep your fingers from the path of the blade), but I would feel guilty having to send back a whole bunch of knives because of slipping lockbars.
Tripton

Postby nathanwind » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:01 pm

I concur with Tripton's assessment...I likewise had/have issues with the lockbar now that it's been "broken in" it does tend to slip off. Granted, that's what the roto-lock is for but it would be nice to have it lock-up a little more solid - other than that, absolutely love the HEST folder. Also, I did try to slightly adjust the lockbar by bending it a bit and it did help moderately, but still does have a tendency to want to pop off if pressure is applied to the back of the blade.

I know RYP has offered to others to send in the folder to Cust Serv for tune-up, so I've been toying with that as well.
nathanwind

Postby Tripton » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:36 pm

nathanwind wrote:I concur with Tripton's assessment...I likewise had/have issues with the lockbar now that it's been "broken in" it does tend to slip off. Granted, that's what the roto-lock is for but it would be nice to have it lock-up a little more solid - other than that, absolutely love the HEST folder. Also, I did try to slightly adjust the lockbar by bending it a bit and it did help moderately, but still does have a tendency to want to pop off if pressure is applied to the back of the blade.

I know RYP has offered to others to send in the folder to Cust Serv for tune-up, so I've been toying with that as well.

It doesn't seem like a big deal, but a framelock/liner lock should never, ever have any vertical play.

The number that I have handled and the number that I have read about makes me wonder if the lock has an inherent design flaw.
Tripton

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:27 am

t-k-c wrote:Just to let everyone know... We are taking reservations for the HEST Folder second run.

My mama always said you shouldn't count your chickens before they are hatched

bombaclot wrote:I was beating the dog piss out of it on a piece of almond wood.

Who the hell batons wood with a folding knife - you FAIL

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby RYP » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:13 pm

Yes there is a new generation DPx HEST/F. The goal is to take all of the customer input after they have had a chance to use the blade and evolve the blade (along with the HEST fixed blade) . This will be a continuous process so we continue to look at improving the breed.

I can say that there is not an inherent flaw in the blade lock up since we keep close tabs on any knife that does not deliver full performance. Also there is no rush or pressure. When any owner wants us to look at his knife just send it in. We have had a few forum queens think that they have to invoke force majeure or use apocalyptic threats to get attention. But honestly, just send it in with your return address and comments and it gets taken care of with a smile.

Blade show in Atlanta will be the debut of the latest iteration along with some other products.
RYP

Postby VR4 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:22 pm

RYP wrote:Yes there is a new generation DPx HEST/F. The goal is to take all of the customer input after they have had a chance to use the blade and evolve the blade (along with the HEST fixed blade) . This will be a continuous process so we continue to look at improving the breed.

I can say that there is not an inherent flaw in the blade lock up since we keep close tabs on any knife that does not deliver full performance. Also there is no rush or pressure. When any owner wants us to look at his knife just send it in. We have had a few forum queens think that they have to invoke force majeure or use apocalyptic threats to get attention. But honestly, just send it in with your return address and comments and it gets taken care of with a smile.

Blade show in Atlanta will be the debut of the latest iteration along with some other products.

Has a manufacturer for the 2nd gen HEST/F been decided upon? I'm going to go out on a limb and say you won't be asking LionSteel to make them...

Will a lefty version of the 2nd gen HEST/F be produced?
VR4

Postby Jeffjuice3886 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:34 am

RYP wrote:Yes there is a new generation DPx HEST/F. The goal is to take all of the customer input after they have had a chance to use the blade and evolve the blade (along with the HEST fixed blade) . This will be a continuous process so we continue to look at improving the breed.

I can COMPLETELY agree with his statement. For those that know me on other forums [BF, spyderco etc], my other alias is Phrenik, I also go by Jeff, or Jeffjuice, or my close friends call me Juice [started in highschool I forget why. but it does sound cool to yell out at a club eh :p]

Moving on, I have a regular production version [was in the first batch, received in early Feb?], and I have a [was on the pre-order list, not bought through secondary means, ebay etc, both pre-ordered]. Yes the Le, had the tip sticking up, which wasn't too big a deal for me, since it was a safe queen anyway. [Had to send in the production model, so I sent the LE in anyway back in Feb? so hopefully it will be back soon]. I also had some bad luck with the production version, which had rust - but I still held onto it, since its more or a less a EDC anyway[the rust, I admit it is a VERY isolated incident, just my rotten luck]. And then - as some may know I am somewhat OCD and LOVE opening and closing knives; in front of the computer, movies, tv shows, what have you. If I could do it in the hospital while waiting for my check ups, MRI's, etc etc I would definitely LOL. - Sorry got off track

Anyway, after all that opening and closing, I did develop the lock slide problem, where I could hold the blade upside down, one hand on the handle [carefully out of the way], and one hand on the blade; to the point of slipping from 50-55%lock from the initial opening to about 10-15% end result. Unfortunately, [I open and close my LE a lot too, but not nearly as much] this occurred on my LE version too; but at a much lesser extent. From perhaps 50-55% --> around 40-45%.

Now this is just my experience with the knife itself. This is where I would like to backup RYP and Linda through my experience since September? October? 2010--> the release of my LE + Production version [so lets say early FEB 2011. Through all the drama that occurred on BF and everything etc. Whenever I approached RYP or Linda they have been fantastic, very polite, informative, helpful, problem solvers, and they definitely do not go back on their word. Linda especially has been very patient, honest, and very kind in dealing with me, as I know there are many people she must respond to, some people perhaps message her in a kind/polite or decent manner. While others may not be so polite in their message to them [being aggravated, perhaps a little impatient, etc - I can only guess]. But, she has always been very friendly and patient with my questions, and given me answers. And I can say the same with RYP. He has been very supportive, very helpful, a man of honor, and integrity to his word. No matter my issue they helped solve it.

They have helped and answered all my questions since the arrival of my knives, and beyond [during the time I have the knives in my hands]. RYP even offered to replace my knife that had rust on it. [In this day in age to get a brand new knife with rust is almost like a fluke lol, especially with such great companies backing it]. I did take him up on his offer because of the lock slippage, and I got a brand new knife back with 1.5-2.5? weeks? It was EXTREMELY quick. And I understand that my LE version is taking longer since its at LionSteel. The LE Hest/Folder is hopefully getting the blade tip adjusted/lowered, and the lock slippage problem fixed too. Their warranty is suberb. I know its been a bumpy road for a lot of buyers, especially when people put price into perspective. But I also think of it this way; this is the first knife that RYP produced. It is bound to have a few kinks, you just never know. And its not just the knife industry, think about how people act towards buying cars. Some just want the newest version and go for it. Some, wait back a year or two until somethings have been upgraded. Anyway this is getting off track.

So for those of you with those issues, I would say your best bet would be to take some pics or a quick vid and send it over to customer service at DPX with a nice letter indicating the problem. And I don't doubt that they will help fix it, or point you in the right direction.
Jeffjuice3886

Postby RYP » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:31 am

you don't even need a polite letter or vid. Just send it in with a brief note, make sure you include name, address and contact info and it will be taken care off. There have been a number of emo end of the world folks who think they have to post a few dozen heart rending posts on knife sites BEFORE they even contact us but honestly, I tell people to stow the drama, you have a lifetime warranty, nobody is going anywhere, your satisfaction is what counts. They usually are a little sheepish for being so histronic but hey its just a friggin knife not like a hip replacement or heart valve.

Jeff never confuse the screams on a few unhappy people with the satisfied silence of a few thousand. A knife purchase from DPx Gear s a lifetime relationship not a one night stand.
RYP

Postby reap6 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:24 pm

Anyone with a left handed folder that is having problems I am happy to take it off your hands. contact me
Deserve has got nothing to do with it.

unforgiven-
reap6

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!