I finally got to shoot and understand the AK47

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

I finally got to shoot and understand the AK47

Postby Woodsman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:11 pm

-Thanks to another flagger who came by for a visit on Saturday/Sunday and brought his AK.

I like the design. I've picked them up in the past and always thought that relative to sight angle, The AK irons more sense than the AR-15, but I have to say that I think it is a little ridiculous that it requires a press-through tool to adjust the windage - all they needed to do was have an adjustment screw on the rear sight and keep the front fixed. Crazy commies!

We didn't have the tool to adjust the windage on this trial.

Now I "get" how they are designed - and the guts aren't crazy - though they are a tad "spartan" - I would not hesitate to believe one could make a highly precise shooter out of one of these - though it would take a little work in terms of smoothing and sculpting metal.

The one I shot hadn't been tooled yet and shot to the right - like 2"@ 50 feet (not good for a rifle) - it had minute of felon precision with wolf ammo - and it turned out at 50y, both of us had trouble hitting a milk jug with the AK (due to the lack of sight adjustment) - After about 5 rounds without a hit, I loaded up a .38 S&W revlover like the one above - keeping at 50y - and hit it consistently.

Maybe Hitoru (or someone else who knows this gun) can shine some light on this - but what's with the long piece of wire in the trigger assy. as a spring?

Do various AKs have sights that are adjustable for windage, or is that front peg the only adjustment on all of them?
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Re: I finally got to shoot and understand the AK47

Postby Hitoru » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:31 am

Ak's in the U.S. run the gamut of fairly refined to rusted junk . A lot of them are parts kits assembled by monkeys ;)
The M43 7.62x39 round isn't known for consistent performance and I'm happy if I get 3" groups at 100yds.

I'm guessing the long piece of wire you are talking about is the shepards crook. It holds the pin that secures the trigger/sear/pin group in the receiver. IMO the weakest link in the AK system, I've had at least a 1/2 dozen of the crooks pop off and the trigger falls sideways=FTF.

Or you might be talking about the hammer spring ?

I read somewhere that the AK trigger group was copied from the M1 carbines.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Devlin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:43 am

Welcome to the darkside.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Novimya » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:30 am

Devlin wrote:Welcome to the darkside.

Thanks. It's a Yugo M70 with a Century Arms receiver. Looks very clean to me, but I'm new. I have the front sight adjuster coming and a big box of ammo. My brother and his friend are going to play with it then I'm going to take a crack at getting the front sight set right.
I think Woodsman was describing the hammer spring. The gun makes complete sense to me considering it was designed to be manufactured, operated and maintained in poor conditions. I like how everything is so accessible inside and that it's more like a Duplo Lego set instead of a Swiss pocket watch.
Novimya

Postby Woodsman » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Hitoru wrote:I'm guessing the long piece of wire you are talking about is the shepards crook. It holds the pin that secures the trigger/sear/pin group in the receiver. IMO the weakest link in the AK system, I've had at least a 1/2 dozen of the crooks pop off and the trigger falls sideways=FTF.

Or you might be talking about the hammer spring ?

I read somewhere that the AK trigger group was copied from the M1 carbines.

The part I saw (and I thought I looked at it fairly carefully - but maybe I missed something) looked like a combination of these made out of a bronze #6 guitar string. Maybe they were two parts (this is a portion of the gun I didn't disassemble), but the main part I am referring to is that shepards crook. The hard parts of the group looked typical of most firearms I have been inside and looked like they could use a polishing to get the machining marks out and make the contact surfaces smoother (that always works great on most guns). It wouldn't surprise me if it were a copy of an M1.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Novimya » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:50 am

I was wondering, are there any fire control groups commercially available that would obviate the need for polishing the current set?
Novimya

Postby el3so » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:47 am

Try sending JOHN O a PM Novimya, he is like the resident Einstein of AKs.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Postby Hitoru » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:48 pm

For folks who have the $$, pretty much everyone goes with the Red Star Arms Adjustable AK Trigger System.

http://www.redstararms.com/index.htm?catalog.htm&1

AK Trigger System
Patent No. US 6,772,548 B1

The ONLY 100% milled AK trigger group made in the USA. Made the right way, from solid steel bar stock. Before, the American shooter had to settle for cast or MIM'd copies of the original parts, not anymore! RSA offers the first fully adjustable Kalashnikov fire control system.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Novimya » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:22 am

Hitoru wrote:For folks who have the $$, pretty much everyone goes with the Red Star Arms Adjustable AK Trigger System.

Ooohh, wow, that sounds like a pretty trick piece. Seventy bucks isn't unaffordable. I was also reading elsewhere about the K Var group, but I don't think it has nearly as much adjustment.
Novimya

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:16 pm

Woodsman wrote:-Thanks to another flagger who came by for a visit on Saturday/Sunday and brought his AK.

No one cares about your boring life dude

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Lost Boy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:32 pm

I prefer the Galil to the AK, myself. It's basically an AK done right. The thumb selector and top charging handle make all the difference.
"If a principle exists it must be immutable, for that is what a principle is - a truth standing apart from the mood of the times." - Jeff Cooper
Lost Boy
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Wow, bury an AK, dig it up 20 years later, then dowse it in motor oil. Jump forward to 1:56:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4v9ElJgkpw
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:09 am

ktrout wrote:Wow, bury an AK, dig it up 20 years later, then dowse it in motor oil. Jump forward to 1:56:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4v9ElJgkpw

That's incredible. I knew AK's were tough and could handle all sorts of gritty ammo but i wouldn't have thought a tin of oil over 20 years of dirt and corrosion would keep it working. Cheers Hitoru
Hunter

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:13 am

Woodsman wrote:I finally got to shoot and understand the AK47.

You understand shit about the AK - Use it in combat and hump one everyday for a few years, then you will understand the AK

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Woodsman » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:53 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:
Woodsman wrote:I finally got to shoot and understand the AK47.

You understand shit about the AK - Use it in combat and hump one everyday for a few years, then you will understand the AK

~JITW

Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!