SKS?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: SKS?

Postby Hitoru » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:14 pm

I have to disagree Sean, not all sks's are created equally. One of the four I have is problematic. It's Yugo.
There are some real crappy AK's out and about, plus my friend had a brand new Olympia Arms AR that was a real lemon.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:19 am

Novimya wrote:
JamesInTheWorld wrote:Is this one with the fixed mag/stripper clips or the one that uses AK mags

If it is a fixed mag/stripper clips one I would buy it

~JITW

Fixed mag, fiberglass stock. Got it for $75. Going to check it out tomorrow.

Too bad its not a wood stock one - those look cool

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby crotalus01 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:31 am

$75 bucks you got a good deal whether it jams or not. All the SKSs at the gun shows around here are going for $200 and up depending on how tacticool they look. Hell, I saw a ChiCom SKS in a pawnshop this weekend they were asking $300 for it - wood furniture, the star spike bayonette, stripper clips. I didn't check to see if the butt stock cleaning kit was in it or not as I will never pay more that $120 MAX for ANY SKS.
Remember, Salad is NOT food. Salad is what food EATS...
crotalus01
Professional Skydiver

Postby Haydon 5 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:12 pm

Agreed. $75 is a good deal. I had a similar problem with my Yugo, and a new piston and gas valve fixed (as well as a good cleaning). I'll bet your extraction problem is a piston problem.
Haydon 5
BFCus Regularus

Postby Redemption 156 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:36 pm

I own a Russian made SKS with modified composite stock. It also has the fixed mag/stripper clip setup as well. I have gathered from what I have read that this is one of the better versions of the SKS. My father who is a former Green Beret handed it down to me a couple years ago. I have no idea where he got it but have no reason to believe that it is not genuine. My question is about it's effectiveness and reliability if I ever do end up "in the shit" with it. I am former US ARMY and have a basic understanding of our country's weapons but being that I was a non-combat MOS I am not up to par on small arms knowledge. I have been planning to have a few modifications done to it to make it more practical for any kind of combat situations if the need ever arises and am wondering mainly about the magazine. Is it possible to have it converted to the AK magazine type setup for easier reloading. And if so does anyone have any idea if this would effect the reliability? This weapon has been a part of ME for over 14 years since he first obtained it and has always been my primary selection due to familiarity. Any insight or info on past experiences with a setup similar to mine or people that have tried what I am hoping to do would be very much appreciated.

Thx..
Redemption
Redemption 156

Postby Hitoru » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:25 am

Hitoru wrote:
Redemption 156 wrote:I own a Russian made SKS with modified composite stock. It also has the fixed mag/stripper clip setup as well. I have gathered from what I have read that this is one of the better versions of the SKS. My father who is a former Green Beret handed it down to me a couple years ago. I have no idea where he got it but have no reason to believe that it is not genuine. My question is about it's effectiveness and reliability if I ever do end up "in the shit" with it. I am former US ARMY and have a basic understanding of our country's weapons but being that I was a non-combat MOS I am not up to par on small arms knowledge. I have been planning to have a few modifications done to it to make it more practical for any kind of combat situations if the need ever arises and am wondering mainly about the magazine. Is it possible to have it converted to the AK magazine type setup for easier reloading. With lot of work, it sure can. But not legally.

And if so does anyone have any idea if this would effect the reliability? This weapon has been a part of ME for over 14 years since he first obtained it and has always been my primary selection due to familiarity. Any insight or info on past experiences with a setup similar to mine or people that have tried what I am hoping to do would be very much appreciated.

For reliability keep it stock. Being of Russian manufacture the more original the condition is, the more value it will retain.

Thx..
Redemption
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Redemption 156 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:38 pm

Ahh ok so if legality is an issue then any insight into where I can check on the laws you are referring to? I do not intend to break the law but am not against bending it to suit my needs. As for the 'Value" part of the post I am not worried about value at all with this weapon, it is not original by any means as it is already equipped with a comp aimpoint red dot sight, bipod (low quality but will be upgraded soon), and a composite folding stock that is currently splinted for legal purposes but can easily be returned to its "Folding" design if the need arises. The other part of the value is that I am NEVER going to sell this weapon, it will be passed down to my children as it has to me. I am not worried about the value of the weapon just the functionality. I have not consulted a local weapon smith but I intend to, in order to address the limits of what I can do with it legally in regards to modifications.

On another note, I was pointed here from a PMC web site looking for info on becoming a PMC, as I stated before I am former ARMY and am looking for a venue to use my skills as a contractor. Again, legally only, Was hopping to come across someone that either works or has worked as a PMC that could share some info on recruiting and the kinds of things I need to brush up on to become appealing to such companies. Thanks for any insight into my query, best of luck to you all and stay safe.

Redemption
Redemption 156

Postby Hitoru » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:21 pm

Redemption 156 wrote:Ahh ok so if legality is an issue then any insight into where I can check on the laws you are referring to? I do not intend to break the law but am not against bending it to suit my needs.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html#modifications

Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Redemption 156 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:11 am

Thanks for the link Hitoru but my weapon already falls outside of C&R It already has a modified composite stock and is no longer a C&R weapon as it is not in its original condition according to that reg. I do appreciate the insight but at this point I myself am no lawyer and I think im just gonna hold of on further inquary until I have had a chance to check with a local weapon smith.

Redemption
Redemption 156

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:28 pm

So did you buy it or what?

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby lmetrucking » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:45 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:So did you buy it or what?

~JITW

For Christ sake pay attention,would ya?
At least that Cleric is not obsessed with cocks and things that might be thought of as cocks by a cock obsessed person.- Kurt
lmetrucking
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:58 pm

lmetrucking wrote:
JamesInTheWorld wrote:So did you buy it or what?

~JITW

For Christ sake pay attention,would ya?

No

~JITW
JamesInTheWorld

Postby Novimya » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:00 pm

It's a bummer, the thing has a severely rusted chamber. The guy who had it before must have left it with a steel cartridge racked. Having a new/used one delivered from Numrich for $25. Hoping it works out. They're doing Finnish gas masks for addons for $5, and I figured what the hell.
Novimya

Postby Novimya » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:53 am

With the exception of the effing magazine which does not want to go back in, I'm actually getting pretty quick at field stripping this thing and putting it back together. Still has the apparently original cleaning kit in the stock too.
I want a Garand now.
Novimya

Postby WildBill47 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:12 pm

$75.00 is a pretty good price. I bet you can clean it up really good, remove all the rust and oil it up really good and get it to fire without jamming. There are so many brand new parts out there for chinese sks's you shouldn't have any problems getting any parts for it.

Did you ever get it fixed to fire without jamming?
WildBill47

Previous

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!