SKS?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

SKS?

Postby Novimya » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:02 am

So a friend of mine here says he has an SKS he's looking to unload. He bought it at a local gun shop and says it just jams on him. I think I could probably get it pretty cheaply.
Anything I should ask him about it to determine whether I want it to try to fix it or tell him to let razor blades be made out of it? I'd be more interested in it if it were a Russian/Eastern Bloc model rather than Asian/Chinese, but that's just a personal thing.
Novimya

Re: SKS?

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:18 pm

Why would you buy a gun that Jams?

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Novimya » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:49 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:Why would you buy a gun that Jams?

~JITW

For the challenge of making it not jam.
Novimya

Postby Hitoru » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:12 pm

I'd buy it for $80 or less.
Remember the Yugo SKS barrels aren't chrome lined and rust easily.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Novimya » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:55 am

Hitoru wrote:I'd buy it for $80 or less.
Remember the Yugo SKS barrels aren't chrome lined and rust easily.

It's Chinese, circa 1965. Composite stock. It's developed a problem where brass is sticking in the chamber. He wants $75-$100. I'm thinking $50 since it's doing him no good.
Novimya

Postby Hitoru » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:55 am

Ramp/chamber issues are usually an easy fix, and anyways a good trigger group is worth up to $75.00 to many folks . I'd ask to shoot it and see how it grouped.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Novimya » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:20 am

Hitoru wrote:Ramp/chamber issues are usually an easy fix, and anyways a good trigger group is worth up to $75.00 to many folks . I'd ask to shoot it and see how it grouped.

Not sure I'll get to do that considering this problem and scheduling realities. I think I might offer $50 considering.
Novimya

Postby Novimya » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:47 pm

I got the thing, broke it down and cleaned it up. The bore looks nice and shiny to me, but I think I see some little dots of rust in the chamber. Looks like it has a mild case of poison oak. Should I try rotating an empty piece of brass with some lapping compound down there a little to see if I can knock it down, or is it more serious than that?
Novimya

Postby mapandcompass » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:17 pm

I'd just use a brass 12 gauge brush and a drill (or elbow grease) to knock the rust down, then swab out the chamber with an oil-rag. Lapping compound or jeweler's rouge on a casing is a good solution. If you do that, please post your results here.

Otherwise, I'd just keep a close eye on the chamber. Knock off the rust, keep it well oiled, and you're set.
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby Rhah » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:18 pm

If you used 1000 grit garnet compound you'd probably be ok, but be damn careful. You don't want to get any on the shoulder area. I've used that method on revolver chambers, never rifle chamber, but there is no shoulder to worry about. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that you would mess with headspace....I'm just saying, ya know. I would just use a good, new bronze brush or tornado brush, a good rust inhibitor gun oil and elbow grease. It sounds like it could just be surface rust and that should come right off, no need to polish. Good luck let us know what happens.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby Rhah » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:19 pm

mapandcompass wrote:I'd just use a brass 12 gauge brush and a drill (or elbow grease) to knock the rust down, then swab out the chamber with an oil-rag. Lapping compound or jeweler's rouge on a casing is a good solution. If you do that, please post your results here.

Otherwise, I'd just keep a close eye on the chamber. Knock off the rust, keep it well oiled, and you're set.

Beat me to it M&C lol
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby Novimya » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:40 am

Ran a drill through the chamber with a .38 wire brush a number of times. It cycles fresh ammo cleanly, but I'll have to make a trip to a range soon.
The last piece of brass that had been extracted with tools couldn't be inserted into it or my AK. I don't know how much expansion is okay and if the chamber might just be worn out.
Novimya

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:01 pm

Is this one with the fixed mag/stripper clips or the one that uses AK mags

If it is a fixed mag/stripper clips one I would buy it

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Novimya » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:03 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:Is this one with the fixed mag/stripper clips or the one that uses AK mags

If it is a fixed mag/stripper clips one I would buy it

~JITW

Fixed mag, fiberglass stock. Got it for $75. Going to check it out tomorrow.
Novimya

Postby SRR » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:31 pm

My Chinese shitball Norinco SKS went tits up after about 1000 rounds. Took it to a gunsmith - the piston had extended, couldn't cycle the gas and eject casings. The firing pin was also fucked, couldn't strike the primers hard enough to ignite them. He told me quite calmly that if I kept trying to fire this thing it would blow up in my face.

Corrosive primers and all that. And also it was a shit gun to begin with, mil-surp Chinese stuff you get in Canuckistan for pennies and are supposed to throw away once you go through your milsurp ammo. Either way, they're shit guns. Get an AK or an AR-15 or whatever. Chinese SKS are crap and a waste of time, unless of course you enjoy wasting your time.
"May these times be the stone that sharpens our steel." - السيد الحصاد
SRR
Hippie Dangerous

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!