Kimber 1911 - yes or no?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Kimber 1911 - yes or no?

Postby ''Dr.'' Dave » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:33 pm

Fuck locktite. If you dont want it to unthread, use JB weld.

If you want the most bang for your buck, i'm going to voiolate one of my normal gun rules "Dont Buy a Gun Made In a Country You Wouldnt Drink the Water In" (Unless, of course, its a AK version. The only shitty one i've ever seen was a Port Said.)

Check out the Tarus 1911.
http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... ory=pistol

I've handled a few, and they lock up just fine, and seem to have pretty good fit and finish. I havent shot one, but frankly, all 1911 pistols shoot pretty damn simmilar untill you run over 500 rounds through it.

The best mags are either Chip Mccormic Shooting Star or Wilson Combat mags. Never had any problems with 'em, and I found and used some Chip Mccormic mags I left loaded for like two years, and they still fed okay. They must have some DAMN good springs.
Fortuna Audax Iuvat!
''Dr.'' Dave

Postby Rhah » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:49 pm

Check out the Tarus 1911

Junk, the ambi safeties fall out no matter how much you crimp the female end. The sights say Heine on them but that's bullshit. Taurus just licensed the name, the slides have a proprietary dovetails that no aftermarket sight will fit. I saw a link crack after 50 rounds using 230gr FMJ not hot +P rounds. I guess if one is just a casual shooter going out a couple times a month to dick around they're fine. I would neverstake my life on one. Taurus revolvers are fine. I think all of their semi autos are crap

Chip Mccormic Shooting Star or Wilson Combat mags

Yes. The new Wilson Combat Elite mags are the best 1911 mags I have ever seen/used.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby ''Dr.'' Dave » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Wow, do you really think they're that bad? They seemed pretty decent. But then again, I havent owned and shot one extensivley.
Fortuna Audax Iuvat!
''Dr.'' Dave

Postby Rhah » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:31 pm

I don't think I know. The problems I listed above make me wash my hands of the Taurus 1911. Like I said, if one is just going a couple times a month to dick around, great but don't expect a high level of preformance or reliability. For someone needing a serious defensive pistol fuck no

Spend the money and get a Kimber or Springfield. If you have more money a Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, STI. If price isn't a concern, find a bitchin pistolsmith and have 'em build one.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:06 pm

"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Rhah » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:50 pm

That is a great gun M-A. I built my custom pistol off that very same frame/slide. But....there's always a but, the sights suck ass. I would go with this, same basic pistol but the sights are much better: the MIL-Spec

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=7
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby Rhah » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:16 am

Here's what that G.I. model came out like when I was done with it

Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:26 pm

what sort of grips are those?
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Rhah » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:26 pm

I had a chunk of ebony that I turned into a set of grips. Need to checker them, they're a bit too smooth.
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:48 pm

Just buy the fucking thing already

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:28 pm

what sights did you put on there? i hear the mil-spec is hard to get a hold of around here.

do y'all like the .22 conversion kit Jarvis makes?

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Rhah » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:38 pm

The sights are Novak Low mounts with tritium.

I've heard a lot of Springfield's stuff is hard to get a hold of, they just can't seem to meet demand

If you like the Novaks and such check this out: Loaded full size, parkerized

http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=4

Edit: I don't have any experience with the Jarvis kits
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:30 pm

I have the stainless Loaded and love it.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby Rhah » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:49 pm

Awseome pistol, Springfield has their shit together, almost....they need to meet the demand!
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:09 am

turns out the range closest to my place of work has a mil spec in stock in the correct color :) i'll be making a visit after work tomorrow - Friday Happy Hour!

marie-angelique
Coonass

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!