so which bolt action .308?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

so which bolt action .308?

Postby marie-angelique » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:18 pm

you know, for hunting bigger varmints, target practice, post-catastrophe picking off of looters from the roof, stuff like that.

prefer iron sights to scope, and aiming for an economy model.

any help is appreciated :)
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

"anything you say sounds dirty to me."
marie-angelique
Coonass

Re: so which bolt action .308?

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:28 pm

CZ-USA Makes great bolt action rifles with iron sights for pretty good prices. Their rifles are cool with an old school British adventurer feel to them – I had a Safari Magnum Express but I traded it a while back.

Anything outside of CZ you are looking at big bucks for an iron sighted bolt action hunting rifle.

http://cz-usa.com/products/by-category/rifles/

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Woodsman » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:05 pm

http://hunting.about.com/od/toppicks/tp/tp_bolt_rifles.htm

I would favor a Browning A-bolt with the B.O.S.S. on it out of all of these stock guns. The B.O.S.S. is a tunable muzzle brake - It's especially nice for someone who doesn't hand load as you can adjust this muzzle break to squeeze out a little extra precision out of store bought cartridges (recommend Federal premium) by adjusting the harmonic balance of the round coming out.

Timney trigger spring addition (<$10) and you got a good range gun, but since brakes aren't allowed on the lines, you have to use the CR adapter in competitions.

I think it is a very smart idea to have iron sights on whatever bolt gun you purchase - but keep in mind that you can only shoot to the precision of what you can see, therefore I would suggest a scope for placing medium-long range shots and for wringing out the maximum precision of the gun. If you have decent ammo, expect 1/4 to 1/2 MOA out of these guns in stock form.

Economy for a guide-style (e.g. iron sights) bolt action rifle is gonna be tough to do no matter what brand you purchase. I would expect these to be in the $750+ range.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby bearfood » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:12 am

Remington 700 pawnshop special, $350 bucks. Hard to beat, but you may have to call around town to find one in .308 with the sights.
bearfood

Postby mapandcompass » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:52 am

Flying in the face of the entire post (re: .308 caliber)... .30-06 is probably cheaper in a bolt gun if you're going for economy. Quality names with solid features (i.e. a bull barrel, or scope, or case, or ammo) can often be found in good used condition. A range buddy payed $350 for such a setup just last year and it can shoot

Whatever you end up getting, enjoy your bolt-action rifle. There's no weapon that can quite compare.
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby rdkll » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:27 am

i agree with James .
give CZ a try.
rdkll
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:54 pm

those CZ's look nice.
sadly, this one is a bit out of my budget :(
"Give me control of your TV and I could have you sticking bullets in the backs of peoples heads within a month." nowonmai

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Chimborazo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:09 pm

I've heard good things about the Savage bolt guns, but don't have any first hand experience with them.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

Postby mapandcompass » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:25 pm

Chimborazo wrote:I've heard good things about the Savage bolt guns, but don't have any first hand experience with them.

You'd never believe it was a factory trigger on the Savages
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:03 pm

thanks for all the recs y'all - so many guns - so little time!
:)

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Rhah » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:13 pm

mapandcompass wrote:
Chimborazo wrote:I've heard good things about the Savage bolt guns, but don't have any first hand experience with them.

You'd never believe it was a factory trigger on the Savages

This is the Truth. Savage has come a long way from being just middle of the road to supplying very very good off the shelf rifles. The Accu Trigger is awesome. The new Remington trigger is a piece of shit. The way to tell the difference is the new triggers have a smooth trigger shoe. The old triggers have a serrated trigger shoe.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby marie-angelique » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:10 pm

a voice from the beyond told me to get one of these instead:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_BLR

marie-angelique
Coonass

Postby Woodsman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:42 pm

marie-angelique wrote:a voice from the beyond told me to get one of these instead:

Not as good precision, but good enough, and you can order with the B.O.S.S. which will help (but it is LOUD).

Personally I like semi-autos better than bolts and now days they work quite well.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby mapandcompass » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:41 am

marie-angelique wrote:a voice from the beyond told me to get one of these instead:

From the Wiki entry: "...the BLR can be chambered for rounds with pointed tip bullets, such as the .308 that would be inappropriate for tubular magazines."

Well, the ability to magazine-load a lever gun with spitzer-tips makes for an interesting weapon. With some nice spitzer handloads and a solid bit of practice, the real-life accuracy of this firearm could be something to win bets with.
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby Kurt » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:08 pm

All my hunter friends in Wisconsin swear by Savage. My only experience has been with Marlin bolts (which I learned on and therefore love).
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!