Kel-Tec P-11 (Yes//No)?

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Kel-Tec P-11 (Yes//No)?

Postby mapandcompass » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:46 am

Hey BFC,
I've been considering getting a smaller piece to complement my gigantic Ruger Redhawk and was wondering if anyone had experience with the Kel-Tec P11 (or could suggest a reasonable alternative). From what I've read, with minor tuning and break-in they are very reliable, which is obviously a prime consideration.
Pic related:

Things I like:
- Price (< $400)
- Caliber (9mm)
- Capacity (10+1)
- Weight (21oz. loaded)
- Thin (~1")
- Made in USA
- Lifetime Warranty
- Customer Service is well regarded

Things I don't like:
- DAO
- Long Trigger Pull

I can't seem to find anything on the market that competes with it. I'd consider going down to .380ACP or .38 Super, but Bersas and Walthers (the main DA/SA options) are heavier with their metal frames, cost more, and carry fewer cartridges. The only other thing that comes to mind is a Micro 1911, but that cuts capacity to 6+1 (although of that very tasty .45) while increasing weight and price significantly and losing the Double Action option altogether.

I thought I'd toss the idea out to the BFC before I made a purchase based solely on my own research. Bottom line is that if you think this gun can be beaten for $400ish, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
M&C
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Re: Kel-Tec P-11 (Yes//No)?

Postby ktrout » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:41 am

There's also the Ruger LCP, but they're pretty much identical.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby mapandcompass » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:56 am

ktrout wrote:There's also the Ruger LCP, but they're pretty much identical.

I really like Ruger's reputation (and I've been really pleased with my Redhawk) and looked there for a similar solution. I think the LCP is more similar to the K-T P3AT, holding 6+1 of .380acp.

And I'd probably shoot FMJs in .380, whereas with 9mm the JHP is a perfectly reasonable penetrator.

In a related and somewhat awesome story: http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/pe ... gging.html
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby ktrout » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:58 am

I want a Kahr PM9, actually.
Be nice to me. I'm a rug muncher.
ktrout
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:06 pm

If I were going to go with a gun that small, it would be the KT PF-9. Since I'm not, I would only suggest you have a look at it.

I think Kel tec has has some really cool firearm designs in the last decade. That being said, there is lots to improve on them. The PF9 isn't designed to shoot a whole lot of overpressure (+p) ammo, but for a no frills tiny defensive handgun with a light attached to the rail, it's hard to beat.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby mapandcompass » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Woodsman wrote:If I were going to go with a gun that small, it would be the KT PF-9. Since I'm not, I would only suggest you have a look at it.

I think Kel tec has has some really cool firearm designs in the last decade. That being said, there is lots to improve on them. The PF9 isn't designed to shoot a whole lot of overpressure (+p) ammo, but for a no frills tiny defensive handgun with a light attached to the rail, it's hard to beat.

Good suggestion, Woodsman. I looked at the PF-9, too. The trigger is supposed to be a little better. I wish the p11 came with a rail. I handled them side-by-side at a gun show and found the PF-9 to be a tad too skinny for my palms; it sort of 'yawed' in my grip when I actuated the trigger (on a snap-cap).
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby Eichenlaub » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:29 am

.380 acp is too damn expensive. Get a 9mm
Better you than me.
Eichenlaub
BFCus Regularus

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!