US deploys 'game-changer' weapon to Afghanistan

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

US deploys 'game-changer' weapon to Afghanistan

Postby Moosehead » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:16 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101201/sc ... fghanistan

by Michael Mathes Michael Mathes – Wed Dec 1, 2:09 am ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) – It looks and acts like something best left in the hands of Sylvester Stallone's "Rambo," but this latest dream weapon is real -- and the US Army sees it becoming the Taliban's worst nightmare.

The Pentagon has rolled out prototypes of its first-ever programmable "smart" grenade launcher, a shoulder-fired weapon that uses microchipped ammunition to target and kill the enemy, even when the enemy is hidden behind walls or other cover.

AFP/Army Handout
After years of development, the XM25 Counter Defilade Target Engagement System, about the size of a regular rifle, has now been deployed to US units on the battlefields of Afghanistan, where the Army expects it to be a "game-changer" in its counterinsurgency operations.

"For well over a week, it's been actively on patrols, and in various combat outposts in areas that are hot," said Lieutenant Colonel Chris Lehner, program manager for the XM25.

The gun's stats are formidable: it fires 25mm air-bursting shells up to 2,300 feet (700 meters), well past the range of most rifles used by today's soldiers, and programs them to explode at a precise distance, allowing troops to neutralize insurgents hiding behind walls, rocks or trenches or inside buildings.

[With Afghan control by 2014, Obama sees combat end]

"This is the first time we're putting smart technology into the hands of the individual soldier," Lehner told AFP in a telephone interview.

"It's giving them the edge," he said, in the harsh Afghan landscape where Islamist extremists have vexed US troops using centuries-old techniques of popping up from behind cover to engage.

"You get behind something when someone is shooting at you, and that sort of cover has protected people for thousands of years," Lehner said.

"Now we're taking that away from the enemy forever."

PEO Soldier says studies show the XM25 is 300 percent more effective than current weapons at the squad level.

The revolutionary advance involves an array of sights, sensors and lasers that reads the distance to the target, assesses elements such as air pressure, temperature, and ballistics and then sends that data to the microchip embedded in the XM25 shell before it is launched.

Previous grenade launchers needed to arc their shells over cover and land near the target to be effective.

[U.S.: Special forces operations down by half in Iraq]

"It takes out a lot of the variables that soldiers have to contemplate and even guess at," Lehner said.

If, for example, an enemy combatant pops up from behind a wall to fire at US troops and then ducks behind it, an XM25 gunner can aim the laser range finder at the top of the wall, then program the shell to detonate one meter beyond it, showering lethal fragmentation where the insurgent is seeking cover.

Use of the XM25 can slash civilian deaths and damage, the Army argues, because its pinpointed firepower offers far less risk than larger mortars or air strikes.

The result, the Army says, is "very limited collateral damage."

The Pentagon plans to purchase at least 12,500 of the guns -- at a price tag of 25,000 to 30,000 dollars each -- beginning next year, enough for one in each Infantry squad and Special Forces team.

Lehner said the XM25 was special in that it requires comparatively little training, because the high-powered technology does so much of the work.

"This system is turning soldiers with average shooting skills into those with phenomenal shooting skills," he said.
And all my promises are lies, all my love is hate
I am the politician, and I decide your fate
Motorhead - Orgasmatron
Moosehead
BFCus Regularus

Re: US deploys 'game-changer' weapon to Afghanistan

Postby Woodsman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:05 pm

The title of this article should be "government wastes more money on toys that blow up innocent people that go run and hide behind concrete from the evil forces".

Since that's what really is going on.

...and while they're at it, change the Department of defense to "Department of Corporate natural resource pillage and plunder".
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:48 pm

Woodsman wrote:The title of this article should be "government wastes more money on toys that blow up innocent people that go run and hide behind concrete from the evil forces".

...and while they're at it, change the Department of defense to "Department of Corporate natural resource pillage and plunder".

Like you have any idea of what is useful for someone in combat

Your armchair must be worn through

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Woodsman » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:34 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:
Woodsman wrote:The title of this article should be "government wastes more money on toys that blow up innocent people that go run and hide behind concrete from the evil forces".

~JITW

That's a little better, Jimmy boy. Keep 'em coming. You're starting to give me a hard on.
That - and I'm an expert in combat...in fact, I just won a battle with your mom's anal cavity last night.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby mapandcompass » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:10 pm

Expensive though it may be, I think a range-finding programmable-detonation frag launching machine with a 700m range sounds pretty fucking handy.

And cool as hell.

Woodsman wrote:change the Department of defense to "Department of Corporate natural resource pillage and plunder".
^^^I'm all for this but it requires using too many "big words" and the abbreviation would change from DoD to DoCNRPaP which is way too long for practical applications.
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby Eichenlaub » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:29 am

If it weren't for the pinko commie media we(by we I mean people excluding me who are actively involved in "defending" my freedom) could just use poison gas and blame it on the Taliban and Iran. I'm sure people would believe that.
Better you than me.
Eichenlaub
BFCus Regularus

Postby Devlin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:40 pm

Eichenlaub wrote:If it weren't for the pinko commie media we(by we I mean people excluding me who are actively involved in "defending" my freedom) could just use poison gas and blame it on the Taliban and Iran. I'm sure people would believe that.

You are thinking big and outside of the box, you have a bright future here.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Ultra Swain » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Eichenlaub wrote:If it weren't for the pinko commie media we(by we I mean people excluding me who are actively involved in "defending" my freedom) could just use poison gas and blame it on the Taliban and Iran. I'm sure people would believe that.

As the index page subtitle suggests - this forum is a non-political discussion platform for Black Flaggers interested in guns and weapons, any attempt at politicising the forum with debate about gun laws and moral issues surrounding gun use will be addressed by the moderators. As will any outright trolling.

Please feel free to post your views on the rights and wrongs of weapons and their usage on the main or opinions forum

Thank you and happy shooting

flipflop & Hitoru
Geez,am I NOT ALLOWED TO BE INTENSE FOR JUST 10 FUCKING SECONDS??!!!!!!!
Ultra Swain
Snappyus Answerus

Postby Kurt » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Gas??? Your Tin Lizzy need a tune-up?

Neutron Bomb. Why have the Model T of WMD when you can have the 1959 Caddy with tail fins?

But one thing to consider is why the military..with all their enourmous budget, guns and weapons scared of what the Liberal Media says? I suspect they are not scared at all but the fact is that a real game changer like the Neutron bomb would also change the game of Foreign Aid, Military contracts, and all the other cash cows that the Pentagon relies on.

That is why they do not do the sensible and brutal thing and wipe out the "hot" regions. There would be no need to budget for anything else...just *poof* and suddenly there are pommegranat and opium fields in perfect shape left for the Iraqi, Mexican, Somalian or whatever refugees we have to use.

And we are supposed to believe the Leibensraum Bomb and its owners are worried about what Maureen O'Dowd will write?
Kurt
In Manus Manus

Postby AztecDave » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:22 am

Woodsman wrote:
JamesInTheWorld wrote:

~JITW

That's a little better, Jimmy boy. Keep 'em coming. You're starting to give me a hard on.
That - and I'm an expert in combat...in fact, I just won a battle with your mom's anal cavity last night.

you're a duschbag. ntm you didn't answer his question - just how much combat time do you have? i'm guessing zero. and no, buttfucking blowup dolls doesn't count for you.
The real Army, composed entirely of young enthusiasts in camouflage uniforms, from whom impossible efforts would be demanded and to whom all sorts of tricks would be taught. That's the army in which I should like to fight.”
― Jean Lartéguy
AztecDave
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:40 pm

AztecDave wrote:you're a duschbag. ntm you didn't answer his question - just how much combat time do you have? i'm guessing zero. and no, buttfucking blowup dolls doesn't count for you.

If you learned how to spell, maybe you wouldn't look like such a moron!

By the way, the gun is designed (primarily) to kill people behind walls from a relatively far distance.

I know people who have field tested it. It is accurate, and it does work though it is not as powerful as a hand grenade, but it is effective.

Perfect weapon to kill women, children and patriotic civilians - you know...the "enemy".

$35k? Ridiculous. There will probably be an order for 10,000 of them, because that is the sickness of a FUBAR'd government in debt over its head.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby mapandcompass » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:27 pm

Woodsman wrote:If you learned how to spell, maybe you wouldn't look like such a moron!

Nu signitur line!!1
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby lok8 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:52 pm

Around corners, thats what grenades are for

I always argued for a manpad Mk19.
Stay behind. don't follow.
lok8
BFCus Regularus

Postby coldharvest » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:16 pm

It'd be a real game-changer come deer season.
I know the law. And I have spent my entire life in its flagrant disregard.
coldharvest
Abdul Rahman

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:14 pm

Woodsman wrote:
I know people who have field tested it.

Liar, Liar Pants on Fire!

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Next

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!