Caracal Pistol

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Caracal Pistol

Postby Hitoru » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:53 pm

I had never heard of this gun before, made in Dubai. Is anyone here familiar with it ?

Starting in 2002, a team of European weapons designers and experts working in conjunction with the United Arab Emirates Armed Forces started the development of a range of modern pistols and accessories. The research and development team was led by the Austrian firearms designer Wilhelm Bubits who previously had designed the Steyr M pistol.[1]

Before being put into production the Caracal pistol was evaluated through independent tests. These tests were carried out by the Federal German Armed Forces Technical Center for Weapons and Ammunition (WTD 91) in Meppen, Germany[3] which included metallurgic and composite analysis, functional fitness-for-purpose and quality evaluation, endurance firing, environmental exposure, safety and accuracy tests. A certificate was issued by the Bundeswehr Technical Center for Weapons and Ammunition (WTD 91) in May 2006 after the pistol successfully complied with the NATO D14 standard, the German Federal Police Standard and the German Federal Armed Forces Technical Purchasing requirements. These tests are the most stringent test protocols ever devised for a service firearm.[1]

By the end of 2006, Caracal International L.L.C .was incorporated and registered as a company in Abu Dhabi. With that, the foundation of a pistol manufacturing industry was established for the first time in the GCC.

The pistols were unveiled at the International Defence Exhibition, IDEX 2007 in Abu Dhabi.

In February 2007 25,000 Caracal F pistols in 9 mm were ordered by various armies and security forces of the Gulf Cooperation Council countries.[4] The Caracal pistol is now the new service pistol of the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Jordan as of April, 2008. The United Arab Emirates and Algeria established on November, 17th, 2008 a joint committee in order to test the Caracal pistol for further adoption by Algeria. The Caracal pistols were originally slated to be introduced into the European market and made available to Austrian customers in early 2009;[5] this was rectified at the IDEX 2009 exhibition, when Caracal announced that an export line to Italy was to be started with "the first samples delivered immediately after the IDEX".[6] The Caracal pistols have been introduced on the Italian civilian/sport shooters market during the 2009 EXA expo (Brescia, 18–21 April 2009), and are being imported by the Italian arms company Fratelli Tanfoglio S.N.C.[7][8]

On 15 January 2009 Caracal received an export licence from the United States, which will enable it to ship its products to the United States.[9] According to Caracal's commercial director Saeed Ali Al Shamsi, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms gave its approval for sales in the United States in May 2009 and the company plans to embark on a soft launch of the firearms in America in 2010 with the handguns selling for up to USD 720 (AED 2,650) in North America.[5]

Besides the within NATO and many other militaries standard 9x19mm Parabellum chambering, the manufacturer will offer this pistol also in the 9x21mm, .357 SIG and .40 Smith & Wesson chamberings. At the IDEX 2009, the company announced that work is being carried on to manufacture the Caracal pistols in .45 ACP, and that an SCHV (small-caliber/high-velocity) ammunition, along the lines of 5.7x28mm and 4.6x30mm, is also under study for military customers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LQ6R4gI5wg
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Re: Caracal Pistol

Postby Woodsman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:09 pm

Hitoru wrote:I had never heard of this gun before, made in Dubai. Has anyone here used one ?

YEah man, I shoot them all the time:

Just kidding. You can't deny the space-age aesthetics though...It reads like it is an excellent pistol - The Steyr certainly has a serious following - I actually have not
been able to shoot one, but I have heard nothing but positive things about it.

If the same designer built this pistol - It would not surprise me if the new one delivers.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby Woodsman » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:16 pm

Hitoru wrote:the company announced that work is being carried on to manufacture the Caracal pistols in .45 ACP, and that an SCHV (small-caliber/high-velocity) ammunition, along the lines of 5.7x28mm and 4.6x30mm, is also under study for military customers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LQ6R4gI5wg

How about a 6.5 x 30 @ 2,000 fps.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:20 am

Hmmm... the Arabs getting into the US civilian firearms market, interesting

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Hitoru » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:26 am

JamesInTheWorld wrote:Hmmm... the Arabs getting into the US civilian firearms market, interesting

~JITW

That's exactly why I posted on this pistola.
Hell, they're sponsoring drag racing teams. What's next ?
http://www.alanabiracing.com/Al-Anabi-Racing
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!