Stupid Gun Tricks-Negligent Discharges

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: Stupid Gun Tricks-Negligent Discharges

Postby Hitoru » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Three Hurt in Gun Range Accident

LAKELAND | A Tampa man’s gun accidentally fired Saturday at a Lakeland gun range, wounding him and two others, authorities said.

Apparent accidental shooting

Michael Patrick Thourot, 47, had just set down his Jennings 9mm handgun at the Saddle Creek Shooting Range when the gun went off, striking Thourot in the left hand, his wife Sherri, 46, in the left arm, and 29-year-old Gary Flynn in the shoulder and throat, the Polk County Sheriff’s Office said.

The incident happened about 10:30 a.m. By Saturday evening, all three were in stable condition at Lakeland Regional Medical Center. Flynn was awake and talking after he had surgery.

“According to them, they set the gun down and it just went off and started spewing rounds,” Sgt. Ken Hall said Saturday at the scene.

The gun may have been altered, leading to the malfunction. Hall said detectives will know more once they take the gun apart and inspect it.

Flynn, who is from Ireland, was at the range with a friend who lives in Davenport. The Thourots were visiting the range from Tampa.

Flynn was standing in the shooting stall next to the Thourots.

Detectives say the gun fired at least three times after Thourot set it down facing his wife, rather than downrange, which is considered a proper safety procedure. The gun began to spin, striking Flynn, who stood next to a bench a few feet away.

At least 16 others were using the range at the time. One person helped Michael Thourot to the bathroom to clean up his hand while Flynn lay on the ground, awaiting the arrival of EMS. No others were injured.

The range at 3716 Morgan Combee Road is owned by the county and frequently receives visitors from neighboring counties. Saturday afternoon, the range closed early.

The incident is still under investigation.
What are you? Some short sighted trigger puller? - RR3 .
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby mapandcompass » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Hitoru wrote:Jennings... it just went off and started spewing rounds,”

Gotta love an inherently dangerous object with notoriously shoddy 'quality' control, materials, and design flaws!
mapandcompass
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:11 pm

Thourot set it down facing his wife, rather than downrange, which is considered a proper safety procedure.

I'm pretty much a newbie to firing guns, but isn't this *not* proper safety procedure? I have always been specifically and quite deliberately instructed to set it down facing toward the range. And my brain, which I believe is functioning more or less OK, takes about a millisecond or less to figure out that "yes, this is the sensible and safe thing to do".
We are miserable sinners,
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby Hitoru » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:28 pm

Yes, you are correct shivers. You always keep the weapon pointed down range until the weapon is cleared. And then keep it pointed in a safe direction.

The Jennings pistol in question is one of the cheapest, low quality firearms available in the U.S.

Jeff Coopers basic rules:
1. All guns are always loaded.(meaning treat all guns as like they are loaded)
2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.(keep it pointed in a safe direction)
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
5. Go to Texas and shoot with Hitoru ;)
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Woodsman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:32 am

My friend had a Jennings .22 - back in the day you could buy them for 80 bucks. Cheap p.o.s. couldn't hit the broad side of a barn @ 10 paces.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby shivers » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:39 am

Except for number 5, that's pretty much what I learned at summer camp when I was twelve years old.
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby Texas Carnie Roadshow » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:51 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfjpEMxcoO4

While most of it is just unexpected recoil and/or stupid shooter, jump ahead to about 2:20 and cringe.
When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? To surrender dreams - -this may be madness; to seek treasure where there is only trash. Too much sanity may be madness! But maddest of all - -to see life as it is and not as it should be.
Texas Carnie Roadshow
Rainbow Fucking Randolph

Postby Chimborazo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:24 pm

shivers wrote:
Thourot set it down facing his wife, rather than downrange, which is considered a proper safety procedure.

I'm pretty much a newbie to firing guns, but isn't this *not* proper safety procedure? I have always been specifically and quite deliberately instructed to set it down facing toward the range. And my brain, which I believe is functioning more or less OK, takes about a millisecond or less to figure out that "yes, this is the sensible and safe thing to do".

I think this was a case of poor grammar. The author was saying that facing downrange is a proper safety procedure.
"The terrain is just too wiley coyote for me to risk it. Slam into arch, rope breaks, in the distance as I plummet 'meep meep'" -Caliban
Chimborazo
BFCus Regularus

she's getting the bullet gold plated.

Postby Hitoru » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:25 am

The gunshot victim from my original post in this thread got out of the hospital today after 27 days . The news folks say she has months of rehab.

And the 71 year old was quoted on the local news tonight she's going to get the bullet gold plated and hang it on her neck
Mr.wRong.
Hitoru
Arbol Basura

Postby Tirador » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:36 pm

Of the 12 people in my CCW course 2 had Jennings. Neither could complete the range portion of the test because of weapon malfunctions.
Dpx gunclub
Tirador

Postby shivers » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:26 pm

Cole shoots Chelsea intern - report

Chelsea defender Ashley Cole has allegedly shot and wounded an intern at the club after "larking" around with an air rifle, according to the News of the World.

The incident happened last Sunday at the Chelsea's Cobham training ground when Cole took the .22 gun from a box, not realising it was loaded, and accidentially fired at Tom Cowan, 21, from just five feet away.

A source told the News of the World: "It's truly inconceivable that a Premier League footballer could bring a gun to the training ground.

"But Ashley pulled the rifle from a box and started larking about with it in the changing room, not realising it was loaded. It ended up pointed at Tom just five feet away.

"The gun went off with a loud pop and Tom screamed as this lead pellet hit him in the side. It went through his clothing and into his flesh."

Cowan received treatment from the Chelsea medical staff and was given two days to rest after the ordeal, which was witnessed by a dozen staff members of the club.

Police were not called and the source went on to say that Chelsea officials were concerned that "it would be a PR disaster if this became public knowledge, so the club has closed ranks over it".

''We never comment on internal matters,'' Chelsea said in response to the report.

Cunt.
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

Postby el3so » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:17 pm

Was it an actual rifle in .22 calibre or just an air rifle?
The same sloppy reporting as back when all tracked vehicles immediately got called main battle tank.
skynet prompt: witty line, a bit offensive, medium levels of spelling error, Rastafy by 10 % or so
el3so
Creepy Uncle

Re:

Postby Woodsman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:57 pm

el3so wrote:Was it an actual rifle in .22 calibre or just an air rifle?
The same sloppy reporting as back when all tracked vehicles immediately got called main battle tank.

air rifles do come in .22 caliber. Based on what the article suggested, I would expect it was a .22 air rifle. They can still run up velocities of about 800 feet per second or so...not quite .22lr power (especially because a .22 pellet weighs so little), but still enough to bury into the skin and fiber causing some pain and possible health issues.
Last edited by Woodsman on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Re: she's getting the bullet gold plated.

Postby Woodsman » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:58 pm

Hitoru wrote:The gunshot victim from my original post in this thread got out of the hospital today after 27 days . The news folks say she has months of rehab.

And the 71 year old was quoted on the local news tonight she's going to get the bullet gold plated and hang it on her neck

That's what I would do being 71 and all.
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Re:

Postby shivers » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:37 pm

el3so wrote:Was it an actual rifle in .22 calibre or just an air rifle?

An air rifle, just like the article said. They can fuck you up pretty bad. Jerry Hadley managed to kill himself with one.
Filthy fuckers,
Arseholes!
shivers
BFCus Regularus

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!