HEST/F Review

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

Re: HEST/F Review

Postby swordpoint9 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:18 pm

I cannot wait for Mine ! Any news on when the re-tuned should arrive?
Hit it with your purse!!!
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:46 pm

waiting to hit these shores and will let you know the second they land.
RYP
Ownerus Websiteus Authorus

Postby Tirador » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:55 am

I got my production knife a few days ago. The fit and finish are great, the knife everything I could want. I am waiting patiently for my LE, and know that I'll be pleased by it, too.

I wish I had my films to compare with the other fractures. I've got a plate in my left arm connecting ulna and radia, bridging over fused carpals. No flexion except in phalanges. Still, since they called it equivalent to amputation I can bypass many federal laws on automatic knives. I've also got a plate from c7-c3. They went in from my throat a few times, leaving a healthy cut-throat scar; the Army didn't much care about aesthetics. San Antonio was a nice place in the early 70's.
Dpx gunclub
Tirador

Postby RSnyder » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:15 pm

I was looking forward to the delivery of this knife, and I really like it. Since I can't carry a fixed blade every day, I have to rely on folders. This fits the bill of what I was looking for in a price range I consider fair. It is just a good "working" knife. It has a thick, deep blade; good fit and finish; a glass breaker (yes, I do break a window now and then; will let you know how this one works ASAP); a clip that lets it ride deep in a pocket; positive, sturdy locking with a safety if needed; and surprisingly "grippy" scales. I thought that the bottle opener/assisted opening would be gimmicky, but it works. Plus, I use the bottle opener. What shocked me most is how compact and light the entire knife is when folded.

Since I know RYP and DPx are listening to customers, I do have a couple of minor gripes, even though they don't keep me from liking and carrying the knife. I freed the blade a little, so the knife opens easier, but the knife is very hard to open initially. There is a fair amount of force required, and the stud digs into my thumb. I don't know if the studs can be redesigned or moved a little further out, but it might help.

My second and final issue concerns the knife when folded. Within five minutes of it being delivered, I'd cut myself. I did it with the knife closed. Looking it over I thought, "Wow. The blade is really packed in there." I ran the tip of my thumb along the handle and nicked myself. Not the smartest thing, I know. Looking just now, the bottom of the blade is close to the opening on the handle when closed. It's not a big problem, but perhaps a small amount of swell could solve this.

Is there any progress on replacement clips and scales? I've seen comments on both, but haven't seen anything definite. Also, is there any thought to making the knife in a stainless in the future?

Thanks for the updates throughout the process. Hey, what happened to the Mr. DP logo on the scales?
"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home." - James Michener
"Why is it that everyone who hates freedom apparently hates indoor plumbin'?" - Tim Wilson, comedian.
RSnyder

Postby RYP » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:34 pm

got it. The HEST is tough to open cuz its a hard use knife, its really really hard to cut yourself but some people have done it. We are incorporating a lot of suggestions into the next run.

We are going to be selling replacement scales so you can pimp MR DP. Clips are being made.
RYP

Postby jacktrades_nbk » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:04 pm

what, no pics ?
DPx Gun Club\Tribe member
jacktrades_nbk

Postby Tripton » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:46 pm

RYP wrote:got it. The HEST is tough to open cuz its a hard use knife, its really really hard to cut yourself but some people have done it. We are incorporating a lot of suggestions into the next run.

We are going to be selling replacement scales so you can pimp MR DP. Clips are being made.

If one from the first run fails us, will it eventually be replaced with the improved second run?
Tripton

Postby RYP » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:18 pm

Your DPx HEST has a lifetime guarantee. So unless I come over and kill you, your HEST is warranteed :)))

I guess people have a hard time getting used to the idea that we want them to be satisfied. Always looking for a catch.
RYP

Postby reap6 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:48 pm

RYP wrote:Your DPx HEST has a lifetime guarantee. So unless I come over and kill you, your HEST is warranteed :)))

I guess people have a hard time getting used to the idea that we want them to be satisfied. Always looking for a catch.

There is a catch..If your left handed it seems.
Deserve has got nothing to do with it.

unforgiven-
reap6

Postby reap6 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:22 am

I stand corrected, notified my lefty just shipped
Deserve has got nothing to do with it.

unforgiven-
reap6

Postby sdg » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:54 am

RSnyder wrote:I freed the blade a little, so the knife opens easier, but the knife is very hard to open initially. There is a fair amount of force required, and the stud digs into my thumb. I don't know if the studs can be redesigned or moved a little further out, but it might help.

Mine was initially very hard to open as well. You have to adjust how you hold the knife while opening. Make sure you keep your fingers from pressing on the lock bar. I use both my thumb and index finger to open the knife... thumb on one stud, index on the other. Using this method and with some break-in, it know opens butter smooth.
-Steve
sdg

Postby Tripton » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:03 pm

RYP wrote:Your DPx HEST has a lifetime guarantee. So unless I come over and kill you, your HEST is warranteed :)))

Fair enough. Good to hear.

You must admit though, there usually is a catch. Nice to know there is an exception.
Tripton

Postby RYP » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:17 pm

The catch is when you buy a DPx Gear product you must be satisfied.
RYP

Postby swordpoint9 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:23 am

Just a Hillbilly review Folks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aAoxwpfEes
Hit it with your purse!!!
swordpoint9
BFCus Regularus

Postby RYP » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:24 am

yeah baby... Send your mailing address and Tshirt size to customerservice@dpxgear.com
RYP

PreviousNext

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!