S&W m&p 45 ACP opinions

questions, comments , film clips and pictures on guns and weapons and HEST.

Moderator: Hitoru

S&W m&p 45 ACP opinions

Postby Reflexred » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:21 am

Hello all I have been looking into updating my EDC from my old S&W 469 to one of the newer m&p 45acp's. I was wondering if any of you have had a chance to shoot one of these. They are nice and slim and hold a decent amount rounds..seems like a logical choice as I am a s&w fan. Opinions and facts are both welcome. Thanks. Also been looking at the Fnp 45 and the Kimber ultra carry 2 although that one doesn't hold as many rounds.
Adios Mofo's
Reflexred

Re: S&W m&p 45 ACP opinions

Postby Woodsman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:53 pm

If you're going to go with .45 as strictly a defense concealed carry piece, go with the ultra carry.
It's smaller, capable of better precision and had a way better trigger - it fits my hand much better than all the others.

Your mileage may vary.

When I carry, I carry a highly modified Glock29. I live with the trigger - modified, still not great. The round has more power at 120 yards than the .45 will have point blank - and adequate for deer hunting.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby JamesInTheWorld » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:09 pm

Do S&W Autos still have that safety thing where you can not fire the gun unless a magazine is inserted?

~JITW
International Civilian Contractor Jobs
High Paying International Jobs
Iraq - Afghanistan - Asia - Europe
www.CivilianContractorJobs.com
JamesInTheWorld
I HOPE YOU GET HIT BY A BUS

Postby Rhah » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:19 pm

JamesInTheWorld wrote:Do S&W Autos still have that safety thing where you can not fire the gun unless a magazine is inserted?

~JITW

You can get the M&P either way.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby johnson79 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:24 am

I like the M&P, people who are a lot more experienced shooters than I am have had good luck with it. I cannot get over the goofy trigger, that's a personal problem though. I would go with a Glock 21, I love mine and have thousands of rounds through it with no problems... go to a range that has guns and shoot it, shoot other .45's and see what you like and what works for you.
Jeff Johnson
Montana State University-MET
johnson79

Postby lsheldon » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 pm

johnson79 wrote:I like the M&P, people who are a lot more experienced shooters than I am have had good luck with it. I cannot get over the goofy trigger, that's a personal problem though. I would go with a Glock 21, I love mine and have thousands of rounds through it with no problems... go to a range that has guns and shoot it, shoot other .45's and see what you like and what works for you.

The only handgun I own that is not a Sig Sauer is an M&P 40 that I picked up a 357 Sig barrel for. The stock trigger does leave a bit to be desired, but it benefits greatly from an Apex Tactical DCAEK kit (Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit). I installed one into mine, as well as the Apex RAM (Reset Assist Mechanism). Improves the trigger immensely. It is nice to be able to feel when the sear reengages for a quicker follow on shot.

(The only downside is they don't have a kit yet for a 45 M&P).
lsheldon

Postby Reflexred » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:26 am

Got to shoot a Springfield 1911 this weekend, think I'm gonna go with that for my first 45.
Adios Mofo's
Reflexred

Postby Woodsman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:58 am

Reflexred wrote:Got to shoot a Springfield 1911 this weekend, think I'm gonna go with that for my first 45.

Another good choice.
Life is short. Eat, Drink & Be Merry!
Woodsman
BFCus Regularus

Postby KILLSTEW » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:23 am

I currently carry a full size 5" Springfield 1911 TRP. Im a pretty good size guy so I can get away with it. I also tend to wear very loose shirts. I carry the pistol in the waist band. I went to the 1911 from a Springfield XD .45. The XD was fine but just thought the 1911 would be a bit slimmer (it's not really that much). However I have traded the magazine capacity for hopefully better shot placement when needed.
KILLSTEW

Postby Rhah » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:24 pm

KILLSTEW wrote:I currently carry a full size 5" Springfield 1911 TRP.

The TRPs are awesome pistols. They don't bare the Springfield Custom Shop stamp on them, but every one makes a detour through there. Great gun you got there.

Welcome to the BFC.
"I am content to die as are all our comrades. But I will not let myself be slaughtered like a sheep. I would rather face the blow. Strike straight at my face and watch carefully if I pale at all.”
Rhah
BFCus Regularus

Postby KILLSTEW » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:03 am

Rhah, thanks for the welcome. Yeah I am digging mine right now. Just need to get some more range time.
KILLSTEW

Postby Devlin » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:58 am

I was issued a Smith M & P in .40, I carried the gun for less then one year and switched out to a Glock as soon as the department cleared us to carry out personal weapons. I hated the trigger and that break down tool that is kept in the grip reminded me of a cheap 80's survival knife.

I know of two different guys who had to have theirs replaced because the magazines would not stay in, they kept dropping out of the guns. One guy lost his magazine as he was running down a street after someone and the other would not stay in when he was on the range. There have also been issues with surface rust.
Devlin
BFCus Regularus

Postby Texan29 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:10 pm

Reflexred wrote:Got to shoot a Springfield 1911 this weekend, think I'm gonna go with that for my first 45.

Good move... the bulkiness of the M&P's doesn't compare to the sleek single stack design of a 1911. I shoot mostly single stack Sig Sauer DA/SA pistols, I recently sold the one M&P I had in favor of buying a Kahr MK9. Once you feel the sleek design and balance of a single stack pistol, you have no problem giving up a few round counts in trade.

And this is coming from a guy with large meat claws.
Sig Sauer and DPx Gear: To Hell and Back Reliability
Texan29

Postby rockspyder » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:19 pm

I don't know much about the .45 M&P, but I've seen several 9mm M&P's put to good use as game guns. As far as I'm concerned, that is where they can stay. For real use, I'll take either a Glock or a 1911. That is all.
rockspyder

Postby Storm » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:05 pm

I run 9, 9L and 45Mid in M&P. Combined round count around 7k.

10-8 Forums has a real good review on the 45 line.

I have upgraded all my M&Ps with Apex sears and striker blocks. They give 4lb5oz average pull, very smooth take up, crips break, short reset.

Imo the M&P45 is also one of the slimmest polymenr 45's around - it fits in the same MTAC iwb holster I use for my M&P9.
Storm

Return to Guns, Knives, Gear, Tech and ....STUFF!!!